best sound quality class D ic ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi !

Anybody know what's the best class D IC model for hi-fi sound quality ?

Is it possible for an audiophile to go into class D without pain?

because I try only one time to compare LM3886 high quality parts amplifier VS TDA7498 and it was simply horrible !!! :(

thanks in advance :)

nicK

Last edited:
Can you show your TDA7498 board? I think TDA7498 itself is not very bad, but the sound quality mostly depends on other components around it, so the sound quality is maybe different even with boards come from the same manufactures.

IMHO, if audiophiles can accept CD, DSD... then they can accept Class D amplifiers, it's the matter of time :)

Last edited:
Hi !

Anybody know what's the best class D IC model for hi-fi sound quality ?

Is it possible for an audiophile to go into class D without pain?

because I try only one time to compare LM3886 high quality parts amplifier VS TDA7498 and it was simply horrible !!! :(

thanks in advance :)
nicK

You use the word "best" which makes it impossible to give an unambiguous reply. TPA325X chips are very good. Probably one of the best suggestions for monolithic class D. TDA7498 and TDA7498E can sound fine when modified correctly. T-minik is audiophile and did the work with a fine result.
Subjective? - absolutely.

TPA3255 is indeed a good choice but if you're after the best subjective SQ you won't get it from the datasheet application circuit. There's insufficient decoupling on the signal processing supply line. Same applies to TDA8932 which when implemented in an optimized circuit blows the socks off all other chipamps I've heard. But its rather limited in power output. I use my TDA8932 implementation as my desktop amp, its reference grade, no kidding.

Joined 2018
Paid Member
I have 5 channels of 3e Audio d class. The 2 channel 3255 for front and the 3 channel 3251 for rear and centre.

The 3 channel 3251 still available but not the 2. All 3255 available (2 channel and mono).

I really like them. Silent at idle in my set up. Bit of turn on pop. Great amps which seem much more thought about than the rest of the cheaper Chinese boards.

I do have a cheap 7498 but not the cheapest and that does sound good. Stock unmodified.

And the 3e audio amps to the UK in about a week. Not a month or 2!

My brother is an audiophile whom like spending vast money has just bought a new amp that is class d. Jeff Rowland Continuum 2.Pascal modules I think

Last edited:
It also pays to step back sometimes and look at the whole picture, and the reality nowadays is that amps are pretty much perfect, they might not sound the same, but if you were to walk into a room with some music playing you would not be able to pick the topology of the amp, maybe you could listening to two amps side by side, but if you need an A-B comparison test then I would suggest that the difference are so small that it renders them irrelevant.

I got one of those TPA7250 amps out of curiosity, and it sounds amazing, but so do the TPA3116's that I have a bundle of, is there a difference? maybe, but it is far from obvious.
And I have better things to do then find a particular cymbal crash on a particular record that will reveal a difference.
My priorities now are, how much background hiss is there, how much headroom, and then maybe clarity, I can clearly tell the difference between the $2.50 PAM8610, and a $10 TPA3116, and after $10 things become a lot more difficult. What precisely do you think you're missing out on, that you know for sure just isn't just in your mind?

What precisely do you think you're missing out on, that you know for sure just isn't just in your mind?

For me its not so much 'what I'm missing out on' rather what's there which is annoying on the un-optimized implementations. I find flattened soundstage and glassy violins, harsh vocals detracts from my enjoyment of the music. And yeah, my enjoyment is solely in my mind.

For me its not so much 'what I'm missing out on' rather what's there which is annoying on the un-optimized implementations. I find flattened soundstage and glassy violins, harsh vocals detracts from my enjoyment of the music. And yeah, my enjoyment is solely in my mind.

Sure, we all have our cognitive biases, and I certainly dont exclude myself from that, but just saying, step back before you fall into the rabbit hole when you look for The best class d amp.

Hi again!

I see lots of thread about Hypex Ncore board in BelCanto sound really amazing but I found a NE5532 opamp in their concept, sorry but this opamp is "commercial sound type" not really detailled crisp clear sound, built for a people Who love very standard quality sound system

I see Bang & Olufsen ICEpower too but I don't know if I'll having bang for the buck with this board, it's little bit expensive ;)

thanks !

nicK

says who?:D

I having tested a good twenty opamp and the Ne5532 was in the worst of the list but I understand why the audio companies uses it.

this is not a question of SNOBS or foolish peoples :D it's a question of earing ! (without offense)

If your reference in audio is "standard product" it's not the same things of if you have played all your childhood to listen plug and destoy Altec, Quam, Quad and many other brands of pro audio product ;) sorry but it's a fact !

and by the way I don't want to start a fight, I just want to know the best class D module on market to build another amplifier ;)

nicK

Last edited:
best class d

You use the word "best" which makes it impossible to give an unambiguous reply. TPA325X chips are very good. Probably one of the best suggestions for monolithic class D. TDA7498 and TDA7498E can sound fine when modified correctly. T-minik is audiophile and did the work with a fine result.
Subjective? - absolutely.

i use a tpa 3251 Chinese amplifier it sounds better than an Yamaha class AB
I definitely recommend

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.