20/30W Mono Class D Amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, I'm planning to use this little speaker as a mini-subwoofer (to get along with my little Bluetooth speaker sometimes)

So, I'm looking for a cheap 20/30W mono class D amplifier that works with 12v (ideally would be 5V but that's difficult). What amp do you recomend? It can already include a crossover or I can make my one to use before the amplifier

Here are some pictures of the speaker I'm planning to use. Like I've said, nothing too complex, just help my Bluetooth speaker with a little more low bass.

Thanks in advance,

20W will be enough as the speaker is 20w but I would like some headroom to the amplifier, that's why I've said 20/30w.
Which 3118 board do you recomend? I'm looking in eBay for some of the cheapest between 2-3€ like this one
What do you think? It's probably enough. Does it have relatively good quality?
Thank you

This small blue board is the one I use and you can hardly find better value for money. Ideal for a subwoofer with moderate power.

I understand why you like some power headroom. The only problem is if you are limited to 12 V supply, you can get 16-18W power in 4 Ohm. Unless you increase the supply voltage that is the limit.

If you are patient and want the lowest price: 1pcs TPA3118 PBTL mono digital amplifier board 1X60W 12V 24V POWER AMP-in Integrated Circuits from Electronic Components & Supplies on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

That is a good price! It is 12W or 24W (25W). 12W is not enough and 24W (2A) will give you some margin. The power supply is meant for LED strips and has hardly much decoupling at the output. I will suggest you to put a 4700uF/25V capacitor across the supply terminals of the amplifier.

I'd like to suggest looking for a cheap, used 65-90W laptop charger. The 19-20V those usually have will provide you with a clean 40W into 4ohms.

I mention used ones, because most of the ones that come stock with laptops are from reputable brands (Delta, LiteOn, Hipro etc), and are honestly rated. As opposed to the $2-specials from the far east, that are overrated and potentially death-traps.

You can probably even look through local second-hand shops, or buy&sell sites :)

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
I'd like to suggest looking for a cheap, used 65-90W laptop charger. The 19-20V those usually have will provide you with a clean 40W into 4ohms.

I mention used ones, because most of the ones that come stock with laptops are from reputable brands (Delta, LiteOn, Hipro etc), and are honestly rated. As opposed to the $2-specials from the far east, that are overrated and potentially death-traps.

You can probably even look through local second-hand shops, or buy&sell sites :)
exactly my opinion;)

btw, maybe you find some old ibm laptop supplies with 16V

It's more a case of getting a reliable and safe power supply.

$3 for an "LED power supply"? That's some CREEPY stuff right there :eek:

I don't even wanna know how many corners they cut, in order to get the price down THAT low. Do keep in mind, they also have to make a PROFIT out of that, so ask yourself: how much (or rather, little) is left for the components, and putting the thing together?

And, you know, you always have the option of NOT turning the volume all the way to 100% :p But that also depends on your signal source, and many other factors anyway.

On page 8 of the datasheet, you have Figure 7. Choose your supply voltage on the X-axis (horizontal), then follow the vertical line until it meets the black curve. At the corresponding height on the Y-axis, you can then see the (mostly) clean (1% THD) power output you can get using that supply voltage.

But do I really need 20V to get 20w in mono from that amp? And for that mini speaker, probably 20w are too much, idk :p
I’ll try, if I need that I need more, I’ll get a 24V ou try to get a used laptop PS

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.