help/advice needed choosing replacement amp board for Monitor Audio RXW-12 Subwoofer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've got a Monitor Audio RXW-12 Subwoofer and removed the failed SMPS power supply and class D amplifier and looking for help/advice on possible replacements for the amp providing close to the 500w RMS into the 4 ohm driver,

I'm thinking class D as they don't generate the heat that would be an issue installed into a sealed subwoofer if i used class A/B and want a stock look and it only has a small heat sink on the rear of the unit however i have considered building a separate monoblock amp just to drive this subwoofer as the sealed box is properly and solidly built and the driver is of high quality being monitor audio and worth saving and has the potential of becoming a really nice project

I have already got the rear input board working from a separate split rail linear regulated power supply using +/- 12v providing the main function's of,

Low pass filter, EQ setting's and volume plus audio signal to feed the amp,
Turning the amp on by mean's of a power on signal that provides +8.5v so thinking of using it to trigger a relay to turn the main power supply on and off to drive the amplifier that can be set to sense the incoming signal or 12v remote signal or simple on/off

so the rear input board provides a processed audio signal to the amp and a power on signal that go's high (+8.5v) in respect to 0v

I already have several Transformer's to pick from however would buy one if it's better suited to my need's

48Vdc split rail high current transformer
64Vdc split rail high current transformer
65Vdc split rail really high current toroidal transformer from a huge high quality +1200w rms PA amplifier from the 90's
plus some other salvaged transformer's i've not yet checked

I've been looking around and searching diyaudio looking for a suitable class D amp board i can hopefully buy from amazon UK ideally however reading conflicting info and i've read that some are just not worth bothering about so need help choosing the right one for my need's

here's some pic's for people interested..

Dropbox - Shared pic's - Simplify your life

thank you for any help/guidance you can provide me

as i've now got the main part of the rear panel to function from a separate 12-0-12v regulated power supply providing the processed audio signal and the power on signal,
my current thought's are going one of two direction's

1, install a transformer and class D amp in place of the original however it's a sealed box with just a little heat sink along the rear that didn't help thing's as the heat has little way of escaping the unit and i did notice the smps power supply appear's to be powered on all the time so the failure didn't surprise me but i've already found a signal that go's high to turn the amp on and off that could of been used to turn the rest of the power supply on and off as required like i am planning on doing

2, i'm thinking about just putting a speakon connection (they are used in PA audio gear for the speaker input/output) on the rear plate along with a XLR line level output and use the 3'rd pin for the power on signal as they share the same negative and building an external monoblock as i have PA amp's knocking about i could modify however they normally have loud fan's to keep them cool and get quite hot so i'd need to find a fancy looking box for it with a huge heat sink however would make for a better solution in the long term without possible heat buildup issues inside the subwoofer box an easier way to upgrade and play with trying other amp's and setup's ect and leaving only a small regulated 12-0-12v transformer and power supply inside the subwoofer with a slim chance of going wrong and a better chance of actually powering the sub properly

any advice moving forward with this project wound be gratefully received so please leave a comment....

I've actually got it basically working with this Class D amp

Amazon.com: KKmoon IRS2092S Mono-Channel Digital Audio Amplifier Class D HIFI High Power Amp Board 500W: Home Improvement

and 2 salvaged transformer, one to provide +/- 12vdc and another from an old AV receiver supplying +/- 64vdc to the amplifier,

my only issue remaining is the subwoofer input board's audio output is a little high for the input of the amp and more importantly it provides an amp turn on signal of +8.5vdc that i would like to use to trigger two relays, one for main transformer to power up the amp and another that i would like to have a delay on before connecting the speaker to the amp however instantly disconnecting once the +8.5vdc is removed as the subwoofer is turned off,

can anyone please help/advise on how this can be achieved please ?

Hi, i first powered the rear input board connected to the amplifier just feeding the split rail +/- 12v input of the amplifier and no other power applied to the amplifier board while testing and as stated got it to work properly when finding what pin dose what however i was unable to discover what one of the wires actually did and upon powering up directly on it +/- 12v just not knowing what that last connection did the auto power on/off function fail's to work however i can remember a voltage being on that connection but the rest of it worked as expected so i'm thinking it must be for checking the amp as with no voltage applied it wont actually come out of standby so possibly a protection function however it still worked fine just the LED stayed red and there was on power applied to the power on output

However I've been also thinking both as a DIY audio fanatic that will want to try other amplifiers ect in the future and most importantly safety wise, did i really want to stick a huge transformer and digital amplifier that both create heat and stick them in the back of a wooden sealed box and risk the firework's in my living room when the heat's built up or something go's wrong ?

after thinking long and hard exploring all possible outcomes... not really....

So I've drilled a tight fitting hole and just installed a female neutrik Speakon connection i already had on the rear soldered it directly to the subwoofer and made shore it's all tightly sealed and put back together despite me getting the rear input board mostly working and going to build an external amplifier that i'm more comfortable with doing that has proper ventilation ect

however i hope this thread can possibly help anyone else in the future that actually want's to replace the amplifier and power supply as a DIY replacement class D amp and suitable SMPS would work however i'm not experienced enough with the SMPS's to be comfortable using them let a alone putting one in a sealed wooden box

I've also started a new thread however it's a Class AB amplifier and would appreciate anyone checking it out and contributing any help, support and guidance to implement my own protection circuit in order to use the beastly 7 channel amplifier module safely from the Onkyo TX-875 with another pre-amp, i've gutted all the complicated control logic and processor board's out of it and I'm just left with a huge transformer power supply and the power amplifier module with 7 duplicated amplifier channel's with just a bunch of 12v relay's to control power to and from the transformer and 7 speaker output relay's also the 7 line level audio input's so there's only my lack of understanding of how the protection circuit worked to implement & reuse the 3 IPRO, VPRO & VOLH sense line's coming from the power amplifier stage as i've hopefully worked everything else out so it's the only thing really stopping me from using it so any guidance at all would be gratefully received,

Advice/guidance on reusing the power supply & power amp module from the Onkyo TX-875
cheer's

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.