Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

TDA8954TH - XH-M252 board - anyone?
TDA8954TH - XH-M252 board - anyone?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st November 2019, 02:14 PM   #41
overpower is offline overpower
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzwer View Post
But it is not shipped yet...

How much time it takes usually, if you buy something and if they shipped then how many days it takes to arrive?

I bought this powerful, XH-M252 module from 28. october and today I got it (Estonia), seems pretty nice quality except for some solder joints but yes, output inductors probably is not good and need to replace for better ones.
Old 21st November 2019, 03:08 PM   #42
FauxFrench is online now FauxFrench  France
diyAudio Member

I have one coming as well. Also bought on "singles day". It should have been shipped (but has not arrived yet). I paid somewhat more than you but it seems that prices depend on the markets, which is usual trade tactics.
I hope you will get yours as well.
Old 21st November 2019, 03:10 PM   #43
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by overpower View Post
How much time it takes usually, if you buy something and if they shipped then how many days it takes to arrive?

I bought this powerful, XH-M252 module from 28. october and today I got it (Estonia), seems pretty nice quality except for some solder joints but yes, output inductors probably is not good and need to replace for better ones.

What is wrong with the output inductors?
Old 21st November 2019, 04:21 PM   #44
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FauxFrench View Post
What is wrong with the output inductors?
They are very small and I am sure that they may be sendust core or something similar but given that this low prices, definitely this inductors is not good enough. Core outer diameter is somewhere 18mm - 0.7in, this is small.
I think that I bough those: T106-2 MICROMETALS - Ferrite: torique | Long: 11,1mm; Oint: 14,5mm; Oext: 26,9mm; 13,5nH | TME - Composants electroniques
and make new inductors but before I need to do some test without this inductor changes.

Very sure I am that even if this amplifier put out 250W or even more, then this inductor is too small.
Old 21st November 2019, 08:43 PM   #45
dzwer is offline dzwer  Bulgaria
diyAudio Member

The shipping from China to Bulgaria is 3 to 5 weeks...
And my amp was shipped on 2019-11-17, so we will see when it will arrive...
Old 21st November 2019, 08:56 PM   #46
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by overpower View Post
They are very small and I am sure that they may be sendust core or something similar but given that this low prices, definitely this inductors is not good enough. Core outer diameter is somewhere 18mm - 0.7in, this is small.
I think that I bough those: T106-2 MICROMETALS - Ferrite: torique | Long: 11,1mm; Oint: 14,5mm; Oext: 26,9mm; 13,5nH | TME - Composants electroniques
and make new inductors but before I need to do some test without this inductor changes.

Very sure I am that even if this amplifier put out 250W or even more, then this inductor is too small.
Many thanks for the reply. The chokes look like the small SAGAMI chokes that should be able to handle some 16A. I forgot the spec-promise of many hundred Watts. My amplifier will do 100W max. (SE coupling) so I will try "as is".
Thanks for the link to better chokes.
Old 22nd November 2019, 08:57 PM   #47
diyAudio Member

Quote:
SAGAMI chokes
Ok, you mean this module which located in post #39, yes, they really seems like Sagami 7G inductors, Sagami is good and I am almost lost them.
But I mean this inductors like post #38 - there is toroidal inductors and I have this XH-M252 board where is the same look toroidal inductors. I was bought maybe bad module because I did not do proper preliminary work and virtually I bought the first one what I saw, but loss is marginal ~20 , coming days show was it worth
Old 7th December 2019, 12:55 PM   #48
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzwer View Post
The shipping from China to Bulgaria is 3 to 5 weeks...
And my amp was shipped on 2019-11-17, so we will see when it will arrive...
I got my board today. I tested it with +/-18Vdc not to stress it for a start. It worked right away and the immediate sound impression is good.
As already announced on the sellers site, the rail capacitors are 8x1800uF/35V. While the 4x1800uF for each rail is in the low end for higher power levels, 35V voltage rating is clearly too low for 6-8 Ohm use and a chip that allows up to +/-42.5V supply. I can probably replace them with 50V rated capacitors. Do not use transformers above 2x22Vac before the capacitors are changed. The "valid" transformer range up to 2x28Vac is wrong and will harm your board from 2x24Vac and upwards.
The speaker protection relay is quite small and I would not try 2x210W with such a relay. It would be nice if specs were not uncritically taken from datasheets without giving further consideration to the actual board implementation.
My first impression is a rather well build board, that still needs a few modifications but is much better implemented than the TDA8954 board I previously bought very cheap.

Last edited by FauxFrench; 7th December 2019 at 12:58 PM.
Old 7th December 2019, 09:17 PM   #49
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I got my board today. I tested it with +/-18Vdc not to stress it for a start. It worked right away and the immediate sound impression is good.
As already announced on the sellers site, the rail capacitors are 8x1800uF/35V. While the 4x1800uF for each rail is in the low end for higher power levels, 35V voltage rating is clearly too low for 6-8 Ohm use and a chip that allows up to +/-42.5V supply. I can probably replace them with 50V rated capacitors. Do not use transformers above 2x22Vac before the capacitors are changed. The "valid" transformer range up to 2x28Vac is wrong and will harm your board from 2x24Vac and upwards.
The speaker protection relay is quite small and I would not try 2x210W with such a relay. It would be nice if specs were not uncritically taken from datasheets without giving further consideration to the actual board implementation.
My first impression is a rather well build board, that still needs a few modifications but is much better implemented than the TDA8954 board I previously bought very cheap.

A small correction: I increased the voltage to 2x24Vdc. The speaker protection circuit (based on C1237) no longer switched the speakers ON! Back to 2x18Vdc - still no reaction from the speaker protection circuit.
I have both rail voltages, outputs near 0V (before relay), no heating or other visible reaction. I will have to analyze the board circuit. A bit early a malfunction shows up. I will let you know.
Old 7th December 2019, 09:36 PM   #50
dzwer is offline dzwer  Bulgaria
diyAudio Member

Airline departed from original country: 2019-11-20 04:15:00
This is the last state of mine...
Thanks for the warnings!
If the board arrive, I'll examine it first!

TDA8954TH - XH-M252 board - anyone?Hide this!Advertise here!