Chinese stereo kits - recommendations? NOT eBay!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You say "kits". "Kits" traditionally means "solder yourself". Such is rapidly reduced in choice because SMD components take over and SMD components are difficult to hand-solder. "Kits" may include assembled boards where you combine boards with different functionality yourself. Of such, there is an enormous choice from PRC. Finally, you have the completed audio products from PRC but I assume those to be outside your interests.

My impression of the Chinese DIY market, which I appreciate a lot, if you understand what you buy:

There is a huge number of OEM manufacturers selling through an enormous amount of trading companies. Often, the trading companies add their own brand to the product such that you do not know who is actually the manufacturer. These trading companies often know little about the technical characteristics of their products because they sell a very diverse range of products. Now to Nigel's (posting #2; one of our most experienced members) valid point - if you have problems with the technical performance, the seller can in most cases not help you out and the way to the manufacturer/designer is often long and difficult. Trading sites like AliExpress do very well in ensuring you get the product but how to make electronics work correctly is not their specialty either.
In practice, you need to know about electronics yourself and can use this forum as support. With the price level, this situation is not unacceptable but different from the situation previously known in GB, EU and US. Brands like Wellemann, Conrad and many more designed and sold their kits under their own name and offered service themselves in case of problems. This is no longer so with many cheap products sold on the Internet from China. This is why the prices are much lower.

With the footer of your postings, I get the impression that you have commercial intends and are not just looking for a system for yourself.

Most manufacturers in China appear not to have a full range of audio products such as it was common in EU/GB/US in the past. They have some products, perhaps some power amplifiers or a few speakers, which they produce and sell in huge quantities to the trading companies. This means, you have to pick of the different audio elements from different traders being supplied from different manufacturers. Few have a more complete product range unless you talk about finished audio products.

Go to AliExpress and search for "TPA3116", "LM3886" or "speaker" and you will notice the trading structure. Check the product range of some of the traders. Often, you will find the same product from 5-30 different traders at rather different prices. The real manufacturer?

Good luck on an enormous market with a huge potential but requiring quite an effort from you.

Last edited:
Don't be scared by SMD, all it needs is a fine tip soldering iron and good vision. Some guys even flood the devices with solder and then use solder mop to mop up the excess.

A good pair of smd tweezers as well.
Work in the middle of a large clear area so you can catch the smd components as they fly everywhere ! It happens quite a bit with my shaky old hands.

If you want to dump on Chinese stuff - go elsewhere

I don't need to dump on it, it dumps on itself.
Too many stolen designs reproduced badly with cheap/fake devices.

The last Chinese transistor I bought lasted 10 minutes !
I turned off my soldering iron and the transistors blew.
A small glitch on the mains was all it took.
So next time I bought genuine parts and despite trying very hard I couldn't blow them up.
Seems like the Chinese parts had a very low breakdown voltage and died at the first sign of a problem.

I bought 4 flash drives from China on ebay.
After 2 months they hadnt arrived so I got refunded.
After 3 months they did arrive but none worked !

Bought Bluetooth dongle from China, fell apart on second use.

Need I say more ?

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.