Will the Icepower 125ASX2 module outperform my NAD amps?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I'm considering building two amplifiers with the Icepower 125asx2 modules to power my bi-amped speakers. Either one dual-mono amp to power woofers and one in stereo-mode to power my fullrange drivers, or just two dual-mono amps. Will there be a lot of difference in sound quality and channel separation between the two configurations? Will it be worth the extra cost even tough I don't need that much power for the fullrangers?

I have one NAD C 275BEE and one NAD C 326BEE (class A/B), and I'm quite happy with them. They are more than powerful enough, and have really good bass, but I feel like I'm missing some details in the mids and highs. There is probably no one here who has compared these amps directly to the 125asx2's, but do you think it would be a big upgrade in sound quality?

Thanks!

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Since I don't know the NAD models it's hard to say, but I loved my Icepower 124asx, until I dropped it and broke it. :(

It had surprisingly strong and clean bass, some of the best I've heard. The mids were what they sound have been, just there, no particular flavor. I thought the high end was very clean, but had friends tell me to top end was "soft". Never could figure that one out. It' measured great all the way up. Maybe it had very low distortion on the top end, making it sound soft? I just thought it sounded neutral and natural.

That that for what you will. I found the 125asx to be very clean and transparent. But it doesn't seem to add any detail that I could hear. Love the bass.

I use 1200AS2. It is the best amp I've ever heard, easily the best class D, and better than any analog SS or tube amps I've heard too. The detail and tonal accuracy is the best I've heard. But it is relaxed and calm, not zingy and edgy like many class D are, so it is extremely musical amp even though it is a top performer. I would bet that you would be pleased if you switched.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Yes, that's a good description. :up: It also had the lowest residual RF I had measured in a Class-D amp at the time.

I compared mine to a lot of different standard Solid State, tube, and class-d amps even one old NAD (don't remember which). The Icepower was my fav.

Is it possible to wire up four 125asx2 in mono mode in one amplifier case? Just have the regular AC wires from the IEC socket split into four sets and distributed between the four modules mains? Or will is there some kind of limit and will this cause problems? Would be nice to just have one regular sized amp :)

Or mine, a four channels amp with two IcePower 50 ASX2 SE modules and two stereo buffers in a 1U case :

Attachments

• webcam-toy-photo2.jpg
    webcam-toy-photo2.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 512
We had 7 board in one case for 14 channels of B&O 50w, and 125w amp modules. I disassembled it, and now I am bridging the 125w versions, and hopefully the 50w versions too. I plan on running a 125w, and a 50w bridged in a single case, and will be making 7 of them. I have 2 50w models supposedly modded for BTL, I hope they really are, and that I can duplicate whatever was done.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.