Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

LTspice Ncore simulation
LTspice Ncore simulation
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd October 2018, 06:28 PM   #11
Reactance is offline Reactance  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Interesting seems like alot of reverse engineering effort, missing bus rail bead inductors.
Old 3rd October 2018, 06:29 PM   #12
irs20957 is offline irs20957  Russian Federation
diyAudio Member

simplified a little for simulate, i have full scheme
Old 3rd October 2018, 07:09 PM   #13
luka is offline luka  Slovenia
diyAudio Member

LTspice Ncore simulation
Quote:
Originally Posted by analogspiceman View Post
I have created a 5-pole, 4-zero (I think - haven't derived the transfer function yet) network that reproduces the magnitude loop-gain curve in the white paper. The phase response curve is not published (at least I haven't seen it)
YouTube
from 19:20 onwards
Old 4th October 2018, 01:46 AM   #14
analogspiceman is offline analogspiceman  United States
diyAudio Member

I looked at Ncore section in the NAD M22 service manual. It seems to use a twin tee active filter for the low frequency pole pair and the output L-C for the 3x higher frequency pole pair. Everything is fully differential so it is more difficult to follow. Also much of the circuitry is just a discrete fast comparator that drives the output MOSFETs.

For the purpose of analysis, understanding and system simulation the output can be replaced with a simple behavioral power comparator with settable delay and the feedback and analog front end may converted to a single ended equivalent. The saturation protection can be behaviorally simplified as well. If correctly done, the result should simulate correctly both in the frequency and time domains.
Old 4th October 2018, 04:00 AM   #15
kASD is offline kASD
diyAudio Member

Yet another similar approach using twin T networks
Attached Files
File Type: pdf NCORE.pdf (239.6 KB, 134 views)
Old 5th October 2018, 01:55 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Okay, I have simplified and reduced the NAD M22 Ncore fully differential design to its single-ended equivalent. The output stage (which is just a fast power comparator) has been replaced with a behavioral subcircuit. The front-end opamp (also a behavioral model) is driven single ended but it has complimentary outputs in order to achieve proper phasing in the feedback loop.

The behavioral model of the output includes a stimulus source to enable measurement of loop-gain (which then is measured at the comparator input fb node).

Self-oscillation at the undesired lower frequency is suppressed with a bidirectional behavioral diode (its clamping parameters are adjustable).

Because it is cut down to the bare essentials, the simulation runs very fast. It probably could run even a little faster by removing the linear time delay element required for the ac analysis (it would be replaced by a simple a-device delay).

The feedback network around the opamp is not really a twin-tee. In the original circuit it is a dual differential balanced low pass tee (two tees, but not twins in the usual sense).
Attached Images
File Type: gif Ncore.gif (57.0 KB, 387 views)
Attached Files
File Type: asc UcD Ncore.asc (5.5 KB, 48 views)
Old 5th October 2018, 04:00 AM   #17
luka is offline luka  Slovenia
diyAudio Member

LTspice Ncore simulation
peak gain is a bit too high, should be about 65-66dB, as is where double zero act, there should be about 10dB, apart from that, it looks just like the real thing
Old 5th October 2018, 04:15 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

I haven't analyzed the influence of R1-R3, C1. It must tweak the closed loop transfer function a bit. I wonder why they are there. Maybe they help to linearize the open loop transfer function.

Last edited by analogspiceman; 5th October 2018 at 04:36 AM.
Old 5th October 2018, 07:13 PM   #19
Reactance is offline Reactance  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I haven't analyzed the influence of R1-R3, C1. It must tweak the closed loop transfer function a bit. I wonder why they are there. Maybe they help to linearize the open loop transfer function.
Have you looked at the patent I think vie seen it described in the UcD patent.
Old 5th October 2018, 07:30 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I made a small mistake in the conversion to a single ended topology. The value for C1 should be 4n7 rather than 1n0. Please correct this in your simulation schematic.

LTspice Ncore simulationHide this!Advertise here!