Sure TPA3110 + digital volume controller help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone,

I need help for a little amplifier build, since I'm basically at a toddler's level when it comes to circuits. Said amplifier should be the core of my DIY active monitors (but with passive crossover).

Being on a really tight budget, and not needing more than 3wpc (my midwoofers hit xmax at about that wattage), I have sourced Sure's AA-AB32996 with its whopping 7.5wpc on 8 ohms at 0.1% THD. With it, I would like to add the same brand's AA-AA11117 Digital volume Controller, powering it all with Meanwell's RS-15-15 SMPS 15W 15V Switching Power Supply Module (never gonna need more than 6W total, so it should be enough, right?).
Here comes the problem: do I need anything else not to smoke the components, or are these standalone amp boards that need nothing but power?

Are the amp board and the volume controller compatible? they should be, but who knows...

And for the second time: is the Meanwell SMPS enough? Will it even turn on? :p

Also: do you guys think that this board is suited to be put inside a speaker's cabinet? the rca input and power input aren't really layed out as I would like them, so I would have to purchase some extenders to get them to the rear panel. Is this a good idea at all?

Thanks for the patience and for the help, I wish you all a good day :D

If you add links to the specifications of the items; people are more willing to help you and maybe number your questions so it easy to refer to them.

Sure's AA-AB32996 - Sure Electronics' webstore Digitally Controlled Stereo Electronic Audio Volume Control Module VC01 - M62429 "Powered by 5V DC"

Meanwell's RS-15-15 SMPS 15W 15V- Sure Electronics' webstore Mean Well RS-15-15 AC/DC Single Output Switching Power Supply 15V 1A 15W - "AC/DC Single Output Switching Power Supply 15V 1A 15W"

http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tpa3110d2.pdf - It seams to put out 5W @8Ohm @ 12V

Yes, that should work but you need simple/cheap buck convertor to supply the 5V DC to the volume controller.

A laptop adapter or a 12V adapter will work as well.

5V might do the trick, powered bij usb and you won't need the buck.

What kind of speakers do you use and what is their impedance? Choose you voltage accordingly.

You're totally right, I'll keep that in mind next time I write a post.

Thanks for the help, but in the end I decided to go for a tpa3116d2 from China, that already has an integrated volume pot, and a matching 19v laptop charger.

The speakers I'm gonna use are still in the process of being rebuilt, but the simulated XO shows a minimum impedance of just above 6ohm, so I should be fine with virtually any amp that I choose.

Thanks again for your reply, and I wish you a good evening

Thanks, I had already looked for some information on the forum. It's the little amp based on the breeze/weiliang yellow board (I mean, would you even believe that for 6 euros more they give you the case, a knob, all interconnects and sockets? They're crazy :D), and it looks like it's a good budget implementation. I won't need any EQ on the board fortunately, since my speakers are only going to be used with my pc, where I have a good parametric EQ if needed.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.