Class D or Class AB for tight subwoofer amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Amplifiers do not and can not 'grip' the loudspeaker cone. Amplifiers amplify the electrical impulses to a level that will induce mechanical movement in a speech coil.
If you mean frequency response then I have explained that depending on the design of the amplifier, class D working down to DC and indeed class AB that works down to DC will be able to hold the coil out of from the magnet until the coil heats up and destroys itself.

what my concern is the fall time that how fast it settles. Why is the term damping factor in amplifier?
Inductance is about voice coil inductance not external inductance added by the author in the article. The parameter why vc inductance is because when you use a coil without a copper cap / shorting ring you will endup getting the voice coil getting attracted to the pole piece because of the eddy currents. If you usually measure a 12 inch driver with this it will have much higher inductance and if copper cap is used the cone moves relatively smoothly without any friction and hence better transient response. So when copper cap is added you get lower inductance.

Now im worried more about the settling time than the rise time as for rise time I agree an amplifier can definitely do it but I believe it needs signficant amount of current capability to do that without any complications.

I was particular about the Class D being the case how well it handles. Especially IRS2092 as its pre filter feedback. The DF is quite low and many say the sub bass control is not good with IRS2092.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.