Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Class D or Class AB for tight subwoofer amplifier
Class D or Class AB for tight subwoofer amplifier
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st September 2018, 11:49 AM   #1
rhythmsandy is offline rhythmsandy
diyAudio Member

Default Class D or Class AB for tight subwoofer amplifier

How efficient is Bus pumping in full bridge Class D amplifiers and bass grip compared to an equivalent Class AB.

Consider IRS20957 with post filter feedback or IRS2092.
Did anyone tried using IRS2092 with subwoofer in full bridge configuration? how was the bass grip and tightness?
Old 21st September 2018, 12:23 PM   #2
JonSnell Electronic is offline JonSnell Electronic  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Class D will produce a good replica of the input wave form. Some, (Crown as an example) from DC to 25kHZ, others from 20HZ to 25kHZ.
A class D or PWM amplifier is anywhere around 85% efficient, class AB is 60% at best.
There is no need to exceed 20kHZ as we cannot hear that or above so it is just wasted power.
Old 21st September 2018, 02:15 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

thank you for the reply. I am not asking about efficiency im asking about the grip on the subwoofer cone and hence tighter sound
Old 21st September 2018, 02:43 PM   #4
Khron is offline Khron  Finland
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Khron Send a message via MSN to Khron Send a message via Yahoo to Khron
"Grip on the subwoofer cone"? "Tighter sound"?

My mind is sent, on one hand, towards Ethan Winer's "Audio Myths AES Workshop":
YouTube

And on the other hand, towards this article:
The Fast Bass Experiment - Are Heavy Woofers Slow? | StereoNET Australia
Old 21st September 2018, 03:09 PM   #5
JonSnell Electronic is offline JonSnell Electronic  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Amplifiers do not and can not 'grip' the loudspeaker cone. Amplifiers amplify the electrical impulses to a level that will induce mechanical movement in a speech coil.
If you mean frequency response then I have explained that depending on the design of the amplifier, class D working down to DC and indeed class AB that works down to DC will be able to hold the coil out of from the magnet until the coil heats up and destroys itself.
Old 21st September 2018, 04:27 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

what my concern is the fall time that how fast it settles. Why is the term damping factor in amplifier?
Inductance is about voice coil inductance not external inductance added by the author in the article. The parameter why vc inductance is because when you use a coil without a copper cap / shorting ring you will endup getting the voice coil getting attracted to the pole piece because of the eddy currents. If you usually measure a 12 inch driver with this it will have much higher inductance and if copper cap is used the cone moves relatively smoothly without any friction and hence better transient response. So when copper cap is added you get lower inductance.

Now im worried more about the settling time than the rise time as for rise time I agree an amplifier can definitely do it but I believe it needs signficant amount of current capability to do that without any complications.

I was particular about the Class D being the case how well it handles. Especially IRS2092 as its pre filter feedback. The DF is quite low and many say the sub bass control is not good with IRS2092.

Class D or Class AB for tight subwoofer amplifierHide this!Advertise here!