Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

TPA3116 D2 mono amplifier as a stereo system?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th September 2018, 07:24 PM   #31
FauxFrench is offline FauxFrench  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioMech73 View Post
A couple of other alternatives:

HIFI College JRC5532DD * 2 preamplifier board

Aiyima Dual OP Amp NE5532 Preamp

Music Fax A1 Dual op amp NE5532 Preamp

Not sure if these pre-amps are made for specific power amplifier chips...
The first module looks fine. "JRC" is known to make high quality NE5532.
They are "general purpose" pre-amps.
Old 25th September 2018, 12:30 AM   #32
linuxfan is offline linuxfan  Australia
diyAudio Member

To be clear, the purpose of buying this particular tube preamp is to "finesse" the sound of your hifi system.
But sure, the expense of this tube preamp is somewhat disproportionate, considering the modest cost of the mono amp boards.

I reiterate that for volume control, a preamp is not strictly necessary.
Even the highly regarded (and higher priced) TPA3118 amplifiers from ALLO don't use a preamp - they have a potentiometer straight to the amp -
Volt+ Class D Amplifier
Volt+ D (Double) 2x60W
Old 25th September 2018, 08:54 PM   #33
AudioMech73 is offline AudioMech73
diyAudio Member

The 2 mono amps and the power line decoupling module are on its way...

Haven't made a decision yet regarding the pre-amp. The HIFI College JRC5532DD * 2 preamplifier board does not list the technical specification.

Has anyone tested those 6J1 tube preamps? They do not look very trustworthy...

Last edited by AudioMech73; 25th September 2018 at 09:03 PM.
Old 25th September 2018, 09:15 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

I also bought the same power line decoupling module. For that price it is nice to have a module that can handle up to 63V and symmetrical or single voltage when I test amplifier modules.
Old 25th September 2018, 10:12 PM   #35
Think is offline Think  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

The warmth from tubes is distortion; for me hifi is about correct/clean sound reproduction; like the artist intended, with the least sound coloration/distortion. You can always add warmth (distortion) to a clean sounding system but can't make a warm sounding system sound clean.

You probably will be happy with a cheap NE5532 pre amp with bass and treble control which runs from (the same) single DC power suply. The one linked earlier needs a dual and many even need AC. This can be in the same price range as the amps and a 25(?) cent switch to switch between 2 inputs.
Old 26th September 2018, 08:46 PM   #36
diyAudio Member

A dual power supply would not be very convenient also considering the small scale of the overall system. So I guess that reduces the pre-amp options.

What do you think about this model (Model B with potentiometer) ?

Dual NE5532 OP AMP HIFI Preamplifier

Doesn't it negatively impact the sound quality if you operate pre-amp and power amps from the same power supply?
Old 26th September 2018, 09:36 PM   #37
diyAudio Member

Operating the pre-amp and power amps from the same supply, I do not see as a big problem. The pre-amp has got an own rectifier and a good size supply line decoupling capacitor.

The problem is that the pre-amp can take 15Vdc maximum and your amplifier supply voltage will be in the range 19V-24V. There is a mis-match.
Old 26th September 2018, 09:50 PM   #38
Think is offline Think  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

For which you can use a simple and cheap buck converter; something like DC-DC 3.3V 5V 6V 9V 12V 3A Adjustable Buck Step-Down Volt Regulator Power Module | eBay
Old 26th September 2018, 11:56 PM   #39
diyAudio Member

Sounds like plan...

Will get the mentioned pre-amp model then.

Could you suggest a converter model on Aliexpress that would be needed considering the supply voltage of the mono amps in the range of 19V-24V (power supply of roughly 20v 4.5A 90 watt + decoupling module) ?
Old 27th September 2018, 07:25 AM   #40
diyAudio Member

It seems the pre-amp has already a linear voltage regulator on-board. I cannot see details.
Think is right with his proposal for a Buck (step-down) converter. However, I would prefer a linear regulator (that will introduce less noise) like this one:
1PCS LM317 Adjustable Voltage Regulator Power Supply DC DC Converter Buck Step Down Circuit Board Module Linear Regulator B24-in Integrated Circuits from Electronic Components & Supplies on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

For the adapter, I can suggest the one I have:
DC 12V/15V/16V/18V/19V/20V/24V 4 5A 96W Laptop AC Universal Power Adapter Charger for ASUS DELL Lenovo Sony Toshiba Laptop-in Laptop Adapter from Computer & Office on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
You can adapt the supply voltage according to the speaker impedance. Practical.

Or, this one:
High Quality Replacement 7.4X5.0mm Laptop AC Power Adapter Charger 19V 4.74A 90W For Compaq Notebook For HP DV5 DV6 DV7 N113-in Laptop Adapter from Computer & Office on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Last edited by FauxFrench; 27th September 2018 at 07:28 AM.

TPA3116 D2 mono amplifier as a stereo system?Hide this!Advertise here!