Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

TPA3116 D2 mono amplifier as a stereo system?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th February 2019, 09:10 AM   #121
carlmart is offline carlmart  Brazil
diyAudio Member

Tone control or loudness is something I have eliminated from my home power amps about 30 years ago, and I have never been sorry for that.

I worked as a film & video sound recordist and engineer for about that time or more, so I was able to compare the original sound to the recorded one. And of course the idea was to make the recorded audio sound as close to the original source as possible.

The problem was location audio, where sound picking and ambiance sound, including reverberations, were to be dealt with. Audio clarity was the task.

Things were quite different when you shot on a studio or recorded audio on a dubbing room.

The key for quality listening is mainly the room, which should be balanced between reflecting and absorbing areas.

Loudness is only needed if you listen at low levels, and only for that. And tone controls only compensate for poor speakers or poor recordings. Whatever else you add or take away depends only on personal taste, but you are modifying the job of the mixing sound engineer.

Just fix your listening room, particularly controlling reflections and use good speakers.
Old 13th February 2019, 08:09 AM   #122
Nenola is offline Nenola  Finland
diyAudio Member

I'm thinking about getting the mono board that FF suggested in post #3. Browsed through other options and found this:

Aiyima TPA3116 High power Car Audio Amplifier Board Mono 150W TPA3116D2 Amplifiers Adopt Double Booster System Amplificador-in Amplifier from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

What kind of sorcery is this? Quite high numbers for this chip. Looking at the board, there's seems to be only one, but two additional heatsinks. And additional inductors, what are they for?
Old 13th February 2019, 09:21 AM   #123
FauxFrench is online now FauxFrench  France
diyAudio Member

A very good question.

"DC12V=150W", "DC24V=150W", "Car Audio", "Double booster".

The "Car Audio" and the "DC12V=150W" hints they use a boost converter at the power supply input such that the supply voltage is a maximum disregarding the input voltage (car - 12V). The small battery shown in the connection diagram must be a symbolic joke.
Why "Double Booster" when one should be sufficient? And, why is the pretentious output power now up to 150W?

If we assume an absolute maximum of 26V supply for the chip (regulated) and 2Ohm loading, in theory 150W is possible. With peak currents of good 12Amp. If we can add the 7.5A max. output current (datasheet) from two outputs (PBTL), 12A peaks may be possible. The datasheet states acceptance of down to 1.6Ohm for PBTL operation.
But, why "Double Boster"? Perhaps because one converter cannot handle around 16A from a 12V input such that two are operating in parallel.

Seems like TPA3116D2 taken to an absolute maximum. Interesting, and well spotted!

Last edited by FauxFrench; 13th February 2019 at 09:23 AM.
Old 13th February 2019, 10:15 AM   #124
diyAudio Member

This Aiyima amp seems to be bridged. The TPA3116 datasheet does not specify output power for 2 ohms, only up to 4 ohms, and just for 21v.

If you look at the curves, distortion climbs up to 10% suddenly at 50w, for 4 ohms and 24v supply. If bridging always increase distortion, by definition, getting 150W would have a high price in distortion.

Some months ago I bought this:

HIFI Class 2.0 Stereo Audio Digital Amplifier TPA3116 Advanced 2x50W JI 6132227728130 | eBay

And I can say one thing: if you stick to conservative building, like what they did on this amp, the audio quality is superb.

I have been using it on my main system, connected to high quality 2-way 8" speakers, and the audio is excellent. Though I never tested, or intend to, with higher than 30W levels into 8 ohms. No sudden distortion clips for me, which are not nice to hear and may also fry your tweeters.
Old 13th February 2019, 09:51 PM   #125
1152 is offline 1152  United States
diyAudio Member

The tda3116 chip in my “Xinru” board pulled close to 100w @ 2ohms with just a 24v3A brick off 1970’s house 110v outside on my patio. FF has mentioned they are capable of 172w. If that board has 2 chips 150w @ 12v should be attainable with the right power circuit and buck boosters. Right? I wish Alibaba took Paypal...

Still learning, but I know what happened in my extreme abusive practices.
Old 13th February 2019, 10:07 PM   #126
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlmart View Post
This Aiyima amp seems to be bridged. The TPA3116 datasheet does not specify output power for 2 ohms, only up to 4 ohms, and just for 21v.

If you look at the curves, distortion climbs up to 10% suddenly at 50w, for 4 ohms and 24v supply. If bridging always increase distortion, by definition, getting 150W would have a high price in distortion.

Some months ago I bought this:

HIFI Class 2.0 Stereo Audio Digital Amplifier TPA3116 Advanced 2x50W JI 6132227728130 | eBay

And I can say one thing: if you stick to conservative building, like what they did on this amp, the audio quality is superb.

I have been using it on my main system, connected to high quality 2-way 8" speakers, and the audio is excellent. Though I never tested, or intend to, with higher than 30W levels into 8 ohms. No sudden distortion clips for me, which are not nice to hear and may also fry your tweeters.
I’d like to put that and the old Kinman 311x/tripath chips against this Lepai 2020ti I’m still running 4channel 8ohm with. See if there really is a difference. Nohing but clean power. And the volume is amazing. If I remember correctly when a fellow builder and I compared calculations with the supplied 12v wall wart the 2020ti was only putting out 9-12w. Enough sound for me, no distortion, and the chip without additional heatsink stays cool.
Old 19th February 2019, 06:58 PM   #127
Think is offline Think  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

1 tpa3116 chip at about 24V does:

2x50W with 4Ohm loads in stereo mode (Bridge/BTL)
or 100W with 2Ohm load, in mono mode (Parallel/ PBTL)

A board can have 1 or more chips.
If there is a voltage booster onboard, any input lower then 24V is boosted to 24V so the chip will run at full power.
Old 22nd February 2019, 04:55 PM   #128
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1152 View Post
The tda3116 chip in my “Xinru” board pulled close to 100w @ 2ohms with just a 24v3A brick off 1970’s house 110v outside on my patio. FF has mentioned they are capable of 172w. If that board has 2 chips 150w @ 12v should be attainable with the right power circuit and buck boosters. Right? I wish Alibaba took Paypal...

Still learning, but I know what happened in my extreme abusive practices.
Fatfingers - Should read “72w,” now “172w.”

Having a hard time sourcing capacitors and diodes - help please, in the USA. Mouser and Digikey have horrible search engines. Seems many counterfeits and ridiculous prices. Also, does the voltage value on the diodes, type of diode matter? Shouldn’t there be 2 diodes per path after the capacitor (I keep seeing diagrams with + and - diodes)?
Old 30th March 2019, 01:14 PM   #129
diyAudio Member

How does TPA3116 and TPA3118 power amps compare, in sound quality, with other class D designs, like IRS2092 based amps or TDA7498E?
Old 31st March 2019, 12:08 PM   #130
Think is offline Think  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Comparable, I have all of them: no clear winner to me. TPA3116/8 is by far the cheapest to buy and power. A laptop brick works fine with them.

TPA3255 is a bit better.
Good implementation is just as important; I read that many boards with bluetooth seem to have noise problems.

TPA3116 D2 mono amplifier as a stereo system?Hide this!Advertise here!