Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

NAD C390DD (C 390DD) does not power on failure with fix
NAD C390DD (C 390DD) does not power on failure with fix
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th June 2019, 10:05 AM   #21
Khron is offline Khron  Finland
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Khron Send a message via MSN to Khron Send a message via Yahoo to Khron
If anything, avoid it / them
Old 18th June 2019, 02:17 PM   #22
Jabbejokker is offline Jabbejokker
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WimJanse View Post
From the parts-list
Alu Electrolytic Capacitor
CD263(X), 1000uF, 25V, 20%
C210 C211

Alu Electrolytic Capacitor
100uF, 25V, 20%,105 degrees
C204 C205

Be award, the pcb is two sided, soldered throug and through
Hope this helps
How do you solder two sides PCB?
Old 19th June 2019, 03:18 AM   #23
Khron is offline Khron  Finland
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Khron Send a message via MSN to Khron Send a message via Yahoo to Khron
I'm guessing the warning was more for the desoldering-the-stock-caps part.

In the sense that you'd need a beefy-ish iron (and tip), and not be too ham-fisted about it, or you might pull out the caps complete with the through-hole plating, and give yourself a whole new set of headaches...
Old 5th July 2019, 05:38 PM   #24
Henk is offline Henk  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

I have had the C390DD since mid 2014 and it has had the problem of occasionally not switching on from the beginning. Actually I thought this was a software issue, because doing a 'hard reset' using the switch on the back always solved the issue. It didn't happen very often so it was not a big issue, although a bit of a nuisance. In 2015 something went wrong in the power supply. When I switched the amp on, my circuit breaker in the house tripped and I had to send the amp for repair. The SMPS was replaced, but unfortunately it did not solve the issue of sometimes not switching on. Back then I also searched the web for more information, but did not find anything. Recently, switching on the amp became impossible. Also using the switch on the back did not help. I did a new google search which almost immediately led me here. Apparently this is a common problem with this amplifier. By the way, I also found the service doc, so if someone is interested I can upload it. Seems they drew the schematics in Altium, which is one of the better tools in my opinion.

I plan to look at this more into detail, but first I have a question, mainly to Wim Janse and Jabbejokker: Did replacing the capacitors by the types mentioned solve the issue for you?

NAD C390DD (C 390DD) does not power on failure with fixHide this!Advertise here!