3D printed implementation of ICEpower 50ASX2 amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Since I needed a small but sufficiently powerful amp that I could hide away discretely into a shared-room stereo system, I was interested when I saw that Parts Express now carries the older line of ICEpower amp modules. I like the fact that most of these modules include on-board AC input power supplies: 110V (or 220V) AC and audio line input to strong audio output with only connectors and an enclosure needed. They are quite decent amps, as well (the types that take their feedback AFTER the output filter so that response doesn't move with speaker impedance -- high damping factor -- and so that filter distortion gets greatly reduced by the feedback.

But an exposed board is dangerous to leave powered up and laying around, so I needed an enclosure. Most recent hobby here is 3D printing (I made some waveguide speakers, described over at Multiway), so the obvious thing to do was to sketch up and print an enclosure for the ICEpower amp. I made it no larger than needed to give the specified ventilation and safety spacing, and to accommodate the AC and audio connectors on the back. Here is the full set, just finished and still hot on the print bed:
attachment.php
Everything can be printed at once on a 12"x12" (300mm x 300mm) bed, or in several prints with a smaller bed.

The board is Class 2 (double insulated, so it does not require a grounded cord, which also avoids signal ground loops). With the plastic case, there's nowhere to connect one, anyway.

These are all the parts for the build (except for hardware to mount the IEC AC power connector).
attachment.php

• The amp board is Parts Express# 326-212
  • The RCA input connectors were some CMC 816U I had already, but I'm pretty sure that PE# 091-1120 or similar would do (mounting hole in the box is 11mm diameter).
  • Similarly, the output binding posts were already in-hand but the mounting holes in the enclosure are 13mm diameter. A PE# 091-630 could be worked in without too much effort.
  • the IEC AC power connector is 090-442
  • all wires can be bought with the full wiring harness kit PE# 326-150, or you can save a few bucks buying each separately (I didn't use a DC power connector)
  • 12 #6x3/8" sheet metal screws
  • 2 #4-40 x3/4" screws, lockwashers, nuts.

Here are some assembled pictures...
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• On printer.png
    On printer.png
    693.6 KB · Views: 515
  • parts.png
    parts.png
    865.5 KB · Views: 522
  • open.png
    open.png
    853.1 KB · Views: 514
  • top front.png
    top front.png
    879.9 KB · Views: 506
  • bottom back.png
    bottom back.png
    652.5 KB · Views: 500
  • back.png
    back.png
    451 KB · Views: 495
Last edited:
The STL files are up on ICEpower 50ASX2 47W/ch Stereo Amplifier by bwaslo - Thingiverse

I made a quick revision (and parts list change) there so it can directly use easy to get connectors all from the same source. Not exactly the way I built it, but it's just hole sizes and spacings. (I also spaced the binding posts so they can be connected by two-terminal banana plugs).

I also posted the Fusion 360 design if anyone wants to start with it for a custom version at A360

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.