Please help me find a cheap "chi-fi" amp for my TB 3" TABAQ TL speaker.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well I think you can search for amplifiers as good as anyone else :)

What made you order that one? Did you find some reviews etc.?

Haven't tested any 2.1 amps myself, but have been looking for a while if I happen to come up a project with that. The lack of information is real, not much to read on these, or the information is scattered around thousands of threads.

I did find a video review of one 2.1 amp and it sounded promising:

TPA3116 2.1 Digital Audio Amplifier Board HIFI DC 12-24V BASS Speaker 50W*2+100W 767775830347 | eBay

Search for youtube for it and see for yourself.

The best thing about that amp is, that it has many adjustments, not just bass vol and freq. In 2.1 use, the main channel adjustments are as equally important to me. And I think that one has all of it.
I have 2 and love them: great sound, no hiss and tops can play full range or use a 125hz 12db (?) low cut/ high pass. Subs low pass/ high cut is variable from about 50 to 250hz
Had to replace the big power cap after months of use @24V as it began to swell. I used 2 smaller ones (2x Elna 3000uF 35V (ebay) which fit perfectly and there are holes in the board for them already)
Better use 19V with 25V caps.

In that case, it might be worth probing your power supply's jack as well. The connection sounds pretty standard (unlike guitar pedals).
You'll wanna use the volts setting on that one (not the continuity-check), of course ;)

What're the odds your power supply has a 2.5mm internal diameter on the plug, and your amp has a 2.1mm center post in the jack?

Last edited:
In that case, it might be worth probing your power supply's jack as well. The connection sounds pretty standard (unlike guitar pedals).
You'll wanna use the volts setting on that one (not the continuity-check), of course ;)

What're the odds your power supply has a 2.5mm internal diameter on the plug, and your amp has a 2.1mm center post in the jack?

I did. It's 19.1 volts ( the laptop Power supply).

Yes, it could be possible. I'll try the local electronic component shop for different connectors and see if it fits correctly.

Well, the next step would be to plug the supply into the amplifier, and check that the 19v does get onto the board itself.

It's working !
See the attached pic.

Bluetooth works flawlessly but when connected through aux, there is a lot of noise like it's distorting.

But dat bass tho. Lol 😀 lots of bass, not enough treble and mids. Not bad.
But, it ain't gonna replace my Yamaha though.

Thanks a lot Khron for helping me. Appreciate it !

Last edited:
The Sure A2100 is based on the TDA7498L class-D chip, bundled with some basic D/A conversion, and electronic volume control.
It offers more power than the TPA3116, but doesn't have the same reputation for SQ.
And it's not 2.1.

Thanks for the info! Been wondering which amp ic was used. found your post via a search.

compared to tpa3250. the THD is more around 0.1%. While tpa3250 more around 0.01%.

note it does have subwoofer audio signal output to go into a basic mono amp of your choice. Like a cheap good old tpa3116/8 mono amp board. it has the low pass filter built into the amp unit. maybe not a sub vo, so add a vol pot to amp board or get one with a vol control.

Sure list the SNR as 82dB. Concerned this is going to have noticeable hiss with sensitive speakers?

Last edited:
The sure A2100 is not using the TDA7498.
They say they are using STA516BE
Well that makes sense - a digital amplifier configured with multiple digital inputs ... however there were many online sources last year which listed A2100 as being based on the TDA7498, and even now I still see the Wondom-branded version of the A2100 on several AliExpress sites as -
"A2100 TDA7498 2 x 100 Watt 6 Ohm Class D Audio Amplifier Explorer w Bluetooth and IR Remote Control"
A2100 TDA7498 2 x 100 Watt 6 Ohm Class D Audio Amplifier Explorer w Bluetooth and IR Remote Control-in Amplifier from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

And on the Sure website the A2100 is described as: "2 x 100 Watt 6 Ohm" and "Power supply: DC 12V to 36V"
That's more consistent with TDA7498 specs. The STA516BE has a supply voltage range of 10-60 VDC.

Maybe Sure/Wondom revised that model at some point?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.