Please help me find a cheap "chi-fi" amp for my TB 3" TABAQ TL speaker.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A few have used this
TPA3118 60W+30Wx2 2.1 HIFI Digital Subwoofer Power Amplifier Board W/ 2.0 Output | eBay

Search web for "tpa3118 2.1 2.2" for more buying options.

If you are building the subwoofer this may be a good option. Otherwise, need to build another box for it.

J.
So, it has a speaker out (L and R) and an another speaker level output for sub ?

OFFTOPIC:
I'm from Kerala, India and some of you might know the situation over here. Almost all places in our state are flooded:(. So, all purchases must wait !

Last edited:
eljoantonyn, regarding those two Sure boards you listed;
The IRS2092 is a well regarded high power class-D amp. I think it's complete overkill for your TABAQ fullrange speakers. Also in 2018 there are other flavour-of-the-month options for high power class-D.
Did you see the power supply requirement? +/-60VDC. The power supply, alone, could blow your budget.
And it's not 2.1.

The Sure A2100 is based on the TDA7498L class-D chip, bundled with some basic D/A conversion, and electronic volume control.
It offers more power than the TPA3116, but doesn't have the same reputation for SQ.
And it's not 2.1.

You seem a little unsure about the TPA3116. I think that for your TABAQ fullrange speakers you won't find better SQ, without spending multiples of your budget.
Maybe you feel you need more power for your subwoofer? If so, you can find 2.1 versions of the TDA7498 amp still within your budget, such as this one -
TDA7498 (200 W + 100 W + 100 W) 2.1 placa amplificador digital em Amplificador de Eletronicos no AliExpress.com | Alibaba Group

Most other high power 2.1 amps (such as the TPA3255) will be above your budget.

eljoantonyn, regarding those two Sure boards you listed;
The IRS2092 is a well regarded high power class-D amp. I think it's complete overkill for your TABAQ fullrange speakers. Also in 2018 there are other flavour-of-the-month options for high power class-D.
Did you see the power supply requirement? +/-60VDC. The power supply, alone, could blow your budget.
And it's not 2.1.

The Sure A2100 is based on the TDA7498L class-D chip, bundled with some basic D/A conversion, and electronic volume control.
It offers more power than the TPA3116, but doesn't have the same reputation for SQ.
And it's not 2.1.

You seem a little unsure about the TPA3116. I think that for your TABAQ fullrange speakers you won't find better SQ, without spending multiples of your budget.
Maybe you feel you need more power for your subwoofer? If so, you can find 2.1 versions of the TDA7498 amp still within your budget, such as this one -
TDA7498 (200 W + 100 W + 100 W) 2.1 placa amplificador digital em Amplificador de Eletronicos no AliExpress.com | Alibaba Group

Most other high power 2.1 amps (such as the TPA3255) will be above your budget.
So, flood is over for good and I'm back !

I'll be going for a 2.1 board with case from Aiyima @Aliexpress

Well I think you can search for amplifiers as good as anyone else :)

What made you order that one? Did you find some reviews etc.?

Haven't tested any 2.1 amps myself, but have been looking for a while if I happen to come up a project with that. The lack of information is real, not much to read on these, or the information is scattered around thousands of threads.

I did find a video review of one 2.1 amp and it sounded promising:

TPA3116 2.1 Digital Audio Amplifier Board HIFI DC 12-24V BASS Speaker 50W*2+100W 767775830347 | eBay

Search for youtube for it and see for yourself.

The best thing about that amp is, that it has many adjustments, not just bass vol and freq. In 2.1 use, the main channel adjustments are as equally important to me. And I think that one has all of it.

Well I think you can search for amplifiers as good as anyone else :)

What made you order that one? Did you find some reviews etc.?

Haven't tested any 2.1 amps myself, but have been looking for a while if I happen to come up a project with that. The lack of information is real, not much to read on these, or the information is scattered around thousands of threads.

I did find a video review of one 2.1 amp and it sounded promising:

TPA3116 2.1 Digital Audio Amplifier Board HIFI DC 12-24V BASS Speaker 50W*2+100W 767775830347 | eBay

Search for youtube for it and see for yourself.

The best thing about that amp is, that it has many adjustments, not just bass vol and freq. In 2.1 use, the main channel adjustments are as equally important to me. And I think that one has all of it.
No reviews!

What made me buy it?
Well, linuxfan made a comment on a different amp board of the aiyima brand. He liked its layout.
So, I thought going for an aiyima board is a safer option. Also, I don't like too many controls and options on audio stuff. That board has the least amount of such things.

I'll let you know my opinion after I test it against my Yamaha as500. The speakers would be the Tabaq TL (full range) as well as Magnat audio (3 way). But the wait is gonna be long coz they (AliExpress) haven't even shipped it.

Yes, that's almost the same as the one that I mentioned, except without bluetooth. ie. 6x small encapsulated output inductors, 2x long/thin heatsinks, and 5x controls.
The two boards that eljoantonyn just mentioned are a bit different - they have large/upright output inductors (possibly a good thing?) and larger caps, wider heatsinks, and only 3x controls.

It's difficult to find a known-good amp board, since the Chinese distributors and vendors seem to continually update their products.

Presently on the Klipsh forum there's a particular TPA3116 board which is getting a lot of attention, initially recommended by forum member "ClaudeJ1". It's stereo, no 2.1 version available, so no good for eljoantonyn. But here's the link for anyone interested -
Mini Digital Power Amplifier HiFi TPA3116 Stereo 2.0 Channel Audio Amp 50W+50W | eBay
This board has some distinct features;
- mostly through-hole components, very few SMD.
- bank of capacitors at the DC input.
- large output inductors.

Presently on the Klipsh forum there's a particular TPA3116 board which is getting a lot of attention, initially recommended by forum member "ClaudeJ1". It's stereo, no 2.1 version available, so no good for eljoantonyn. But here's the link for anyone interested -
Mini Digital Power Amplifier HiFi TPA3116 Stereo 2.0 Channel Audio Amp 50W+50W | eBay

That's a "Breeze Audio" TPA3116 board, I've been using it for years, and, IMHO, it's one of the best TPA3116 implementations I've found.
The only problems it has are:
1) the "power switch", which is actually a "Mute" switch: I change this to a "proper" power on/off switch by rewiring it to actually turn the power on and off
2) turn-on "pop" - I use the "Giancarlo" mod to add a proper "anti-pop" feature (resistor, capacitor), which adds suitable turn-on delay and prevents the loud "pop" on turn-on.

Of all the TPA3116 boards/implementations I've tried, this one usually gets the best reviews from the audience :)

BTW, if you want to get extra "fancy", you can replace the capacitor bank with other caps - these Sanyos/whatever are most definitely fakes - but, I've measured them, and actually they are not that bad. So, replacing the capacitor bank is usually not really necessary - more like having a "peace of mind", knowing that you have replaced the "fakes" with "proper" capacitors (I use mostly Panasonic FC).

Last edited:
That's a "Breeze Audio" TPA3116 board, I've been using it for years, and, IMHO, it's one of the best TPA3116 implementations I've found.
The only problems it has are:
1) the "power switch", which is actually a "Mute" switch: I change this to a "proper" power on/off switch by rewiring it to actually turn the power on and off
2) turn-on "pop" - I use the "Giancarlo" mod to add a proper "anti-pop" feature (resistor, capacitor), which adds suitable turn-on delay and prevents the loud "pop" on turn-on.

Of all the TPA3116 boards/implementations I've tried, this one usually gets the best reviews from the audience :)

BTW, if you want to get extra "fancy", you can replace the capacitor bank with other caps - these Sanyos/whatever are most definitely fakes - but, I've measured them, and actually they are not that bad. So, replacing the capacitor bank is usually not really necessary - more like having a "peace of mind", knowing that you have replaced the "fakes" with "proper" capacitors (I use mostly Panasonic FC).

Thanks for the post !

Would definitely help those who are in the market for a quality 2.0 amp.
Also, I saw a newer model on their ebay page. Very compact.
Have you looked at it ?

Oh, a 2.1 configuration of the Breeze TPA3116 amplifier has just appeared on the Douk Audio eBay store - this model was not listed when I last looked 2 days ago -
TPA3116D2 Stereo 2.1 Channel HiFi Digital Power Amplifier 50W+50W+100W 978078954733 | eBay

Will it be better than the Aiyima amp board already ordered by eljoantonyn ? There's no way of knowing without a a listening comparison.
The Breeze audio board has around 18 nos electrolytic caps vs 8 of Aiyima :eek:

Only thing going for the Aiyima is its heatsink. Its gigantic compared that of the Breeze Audio.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.