[design log] Neat 2x170W I2S in, I2C controlled, integrated DSP amp (TAS3251)

I’d suggest implementing the „1 capacitor feedback“. This doesn’t need an extra snubber as it only corrects risetime/signal-response and can avoid excessive ringing with unloaded outputs. Footprint 0805 is fine to fit almost anything. Only a few picofarrats are needed if i remember voltwide correctly. Fort his to work an NTC is needed for the output snubber. (which is troughhole)

If you want to implement PBTL i’d suggest doing it before the output filter as this gives lower THD but needs inductors with more unsaturated currant handling.

Thanks for the advice Doctormord

In parallel, I was looking at the different components of the power supply stage of the TPA3251EVM, TPA3255EVM and TAS3251EVM.

I notice that the LM5010 exists in HTSSOP package, but has a downward thermal pad. This is I imagine difficult to handle for hand soldering. Would there be some more suitable option for hand soldering, with similar performance?

Best regards,

JMF

Hi JMF11,

Here are two documents I found very useful starting then progressing with Kicad.
First one is a ham radio club project, it’s very basic but it allows me, step by step, to understand the various Kicad module and the whole design process then to be able to start at new project from scratch.
Second one, from Dave Jones founder of EEVBlog, give you very practical and useful insights on the way to design a pcb.
Those two docs are not recent but, with the help of Kicad documentation and some practice, I’m know working on 4 layers projects...and i’m still progressing!
Hope you’ll find those docs useful, I follow your threads with attention as I’m also using STM32 in my projects.
Chris

Link to First doc : https://www.robertponge.com/telechargements/ebooks/kicad-2.pdf

Hi AIM65,

I'm finishing the reading of the PCB design tutorial and it is very instructive and well done. It helps grasp the basics, which is really important. A valuable reference for me !

JMF

I notice that the LM5010 exists in HTSSOP package, but has a downward thermal pad. This is I imagine difficult to handle for hand soldering. Would there be some more suitable option for hand soldering, with similar performance?

MP2459:
https://www.monolithicpower.com/pub/media/document/MP2459_r1.01.pdf

It's pin-compatible (need pullup on /EN) with the TI LMR16006 at half the price with a bit lower switching frequency. I used LMR16006(Y) in the past at 700kHz and 2.1MHz without issues. Actually i use the MP2459 with my LTC3784 4-phase boost-converter.

Please Doc, show tbe graphs!

//

Ok ok.

Here's the results for the TPA3128 on a 1.0mm board when knocking at the side edge of the PCB with some Murata 2u2/25V MLCC in place (input coupling):

attachment.php

We then modified the mounting to vertical mounting like so that the MLCC is standing like a tombstone on one pad and is then wire-connected to the other pad. The resulting improvement is shown here:

attachment.php

As already written above, the mechanical influence can be reduced when mounting the MLCC with their long body side to the short side of the board. It is a good practice to keep this in mind when using MLCC. As a side-effect/benefit, flex-cracking-risc is much lower when doing so. (For the latter, flex/soft-termination-caps might help as well.)

The device under test:

IMG_0588.jpg

Attachments

• 58_tpa-klopf-noload-fft.png
    58_tpa-klopf-noload-fft.png
    33.4 KB · Views: 1,580
  • 171_tpa-klopf-noload-vertikal-fft.png
    171_tpa-klopf-noload-vertikal-fft.png
    19.8 KB · Views: 1,571
Ok ok.
Here's the results for the TPA3128 on a 1.0mm board

Correction: It's the TPA3132D2 on the board, not the TPA3128.

Skip switching converters and use a higher feed + passive converters I instead. There is enough hf to battle anyways!
?
//

Why? Voltwide and i use the LM5010 without further LDO filtering for the AVCC stage and theres no degradation in THD but YMMV. Having problems with HF is mostly due to improper grounding loops and PCB layout.

Last edited:
hence, for high-resolution audio ability need to add external sample rate converter IC(and EVB has it!). I quickly losing my exciting regarding TAS3251..

I had seem that. However as my music is 99.9% 44k, this is fine for me. In my current config, my music server (mpd on Linux, in an OrangePi) has the ability to perform the sampling rate conversion. This is working very well.

Is there really 192 kHz music available yet ? I will develop a new project when it will be available :)