Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

[design log] Neat 2x170W I2S in, I2C controlled, integrated DSP amp (TAS3251)
[design log] Neat 2x170W I2S in, I2C controlled, integrated DSP amp (TAS3251)
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th August 2018, 01:10 PM   #21
IVX is offline IVX  Ukraine
diyAudio Member

JMF11, I very first time downloaded tas3251.pdf today before lunch and reading through. The datasheet contents all registers list etc, usually, that is enough to start a project. What kinda extra info you may need?
Old 20th August 2018, 01:24 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

lutkeveld, I really have no idea what you talking about but TAS5558 allow to update any biquad any time(my app dynamically allocate biquads for parametric EQs ether LPF/HPF 12 or 24db/oct), the only problem seems Ti invented for themselves Fs synced DSP update(to avoid clicks, AD inc. calls that "safe load" mode) in 2018 and that indeed implemented in the TAS3251.
Old 20th August 2018, 01:48 PM   #23
lutkeveld is offline lutkeveld
diyAudio Member

My experience is with the TAS5754M, which uses purepath console 2. Maybe it changed in PPC3. If anyone has used PPC3, please correct me if I am wrong.

With previous devices it was only possible to figure out which biquads were linked to which registers by changing a biquad in the GUI and comparing the register dumps. TI does not provide the registers of the biquad coefficients (or other DSP filters for that matter).

This makes a biquad app more difficult, but not impossible.

Also, you first need to enter powerdown before changing any DSP filter settings. But that can be done in ~300mS so almost instantaneously.

But again, I have not fully read all documents regarding the TAS3251, so I could be wrong. I only have experience with older generation devices.
Old 20th August 2018, 01:57 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

if it so, that's why AD inc and their Sigma DSPs won )) And because of "comprehensive" support as well. I'm asking and waiting for the answer whole August )) TAS5558: TAS5558 Energy Manager Averaging coefficients - Audio Amplifiers Forum - Audio Amplifiers - TI E2E Community

Last edited by IVX; 20th August 2018 at 02:09 PM.
Old 20th August 2018, 02:17 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

That is exactly true!

It is not that big of an issue when you are a manufacturer, because you can copy your settings over thousands of products. However, for the DIY market where people want to experiment without spending a lot of money and time, SigmaStudio is the clear winner.

If TI publishes the register maps (or somebody reverse engineers it) it should be possible to make a GUI like SigmaStudio which can change parameters real time. Or some other way to use PPC3 without the EVM.

That would be ideal for the DIY community; hooking up a TAS3251 board via USB, figuring out the wanted parameters and then programming the microcontroller with the header file so it can run stand-alone.
Old 20th August 2018, 02:24 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Or better GUI than Sigmastudio YouTube
Old 20th August 2018, 02:31 PM   #27
TNT is offline TNT  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Make a really small version? Maybe limited to say 50watt?

//
Old 20th August 2018, 02:43 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

@TNT
I made a PCB based on the TAS5754M that will be released in the near future:
-DSP (biquads, smoothclipping, bass enhancement, limiters etc)
-2x40W or 1x80W class D amplifier
-Bluetooth v4.2 class 1 module

There are some early versions being tested by early adopters and it looks very promising. Once I am ready to sell I will make a dedicated thread. Do not ask too much questions in this thread, I do not mean to hijack this. More so to show what is possible with these kinds of chips.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 34982995_2084551844907621_6204630667720916992_n (1).jpg (65.6 KB, 284 views)
Old 20th August 2018, 03:15 PM   #29
JMF11 is offline JMF11  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IVX View Post
JMF11, I very first time downloaded tas3251.pdf today before lunch and reading through. The datasheet contents all registers list etc, usually, that is enough to start a project. What kinda extra info you may need?

For me, it is not (yet) complete: I do not see the registers to configure the biquads, and other functions from section 8.5.1 about the DSP programming.

There are a lot about the PLL config, DAC contro, volume. But it seems to me that they are not all here, unfortunately.

JMF
Old 20th August 2018, 03:19 PM   #30
TNT is offline TNT  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lutkeveld View Post
@TNT
I made a PCB based...
OK + interesting!

//

[design log] Neat 2x170W I2S in, I2C controlled, integrated DSP amp (TAS3251)Hide this!Advertise here!