Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

[design log] Neat 2x170W I2S in, I2C controlled, integrated DSP amp (TAS3251)
[design log] Neat 2x170W I2S in, I2C controlled, integrated DSP amp (TAS3251) Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th August 2018, 07:39 PM   #11
doctormord is offline doctormord  Germany
diyAudio Member

Take care when supplying complete manufacturing data to a chinese fab. We've seen 1:1 copies of layouts from China in the past which were not meant for the public or 3rd party business.
Old 20th August 2018, 02:02 AM   #12
IVX is offline IVX  Ukraine
diyAudio Member

doctormord, how to handle that? Actually, nobody sending complete manufacturing data to a fab, only gerbers. BTW, does exist companies which do copies of all, from PCB to MCU content.
Old 20th August 2018, 03:43 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

BTW, what do you think if I'll prepare paid IOS/Android app in HiFi-TOY style for TAS3251? Actually, I can keep there TAS5558 control as well and peripheral control too(SPDIF TX/RX, I2S multiplexor for BT streaming or USB etc). Only need to add CC2540 with my free firmware into the project. $10 for app is ok?
Old 20th August 2018, 10:04 AM   #14
JMF11 is offline JMF11  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IVX View Post
BTW, what do you think if I'll prepare paid IOS/Android app in HiFi-TOY style for TAS3251? Actually, I can keep there TAS5558 control as well and peripheral control too(SPDIF TX/RX, I2S multiplexor for BT streaming or USB etc). Only need to add CC2540 with my free firmware into the project. $10 for app is ok?

For me, it could be fine.

JMF
Old 20th August 2018, 11:01 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

good, if I'll see enough interest from the DIY society, or|and from chinese OEM flock, the app will be released soon
PS: CC2540 module looks like that:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WeChat Image_20180820175034.jpg (278.2 KB, 497 views)
Old 20th August 2018, 11:32 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

My initial intention was to have the MCU out of the amp board, to keep the system modular, and possible to evolve to a multi-amp system. Maybe a small functional analysis would be helpful to list the needed functions.

However, as of today, I try to learn enough to draw the PCB. The import from Altium inside KiCAD proves to have some limitations that make the process bumpy and the result questionable. I may have to port "manually"the design in KiCAD.

Humm those beginners :-)....

JMF
Old 20th August 2018, 11:53 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

PCB drawing skills it's like bicycle riding, once you get it, never forget. However, without understanding some physics, it is a cheap ability.
Old 20th August 2018, 01:12 PM   #18
lutkeveld is offline lutkeveld
diyAudio Member

I have experience with hardware and software design for the TAS5754M which uses PurePath Console 2. It is a lower power (2x50W) brother from a previous generation. If you need any help you can send me a message. I think a lot of aspects of the design will be similar.

Maybe it has changed, but a big downside for development with the HybridFlow DSP devices is that realtime adjustment is only possible with the motherboard (PPCMB) and the EVM. For the final product you need to dump the DSP registers into a .h (header) file from within the console GUI, which contains all registers and the value to be written to them. If the PCB boots, the companion microcontroller needs to write this header file to the TAS device, which takes about 100mS via I2C.

This means that end users can not adjust the DSP because the EVM and motherboard are needed. Maybe someone can reverse engineer the register values that correspond with the biquads, but TI keeps it a secret.

Besides that, it is a great device that combines high end features in a small and cheap package.
Old 20th August 2018, 01:26 PM   #19
AIM65 is offline AIM65  France
diyAudio Member

Default KiCAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMF11 View Post
My initial intention was to have the MCU out of the amp board, to keep the system modular, and possible to evolve to a multi-amp system. Maybe a small functional analysis would be helpful to list the needed functions.

However, as of today, I try to learn enough to draw the PCB. The import from Altium inside KiCAD proves to have some limitations that make the process bumpy and the result questionable. I may have to port "manually"the design in KiCAD.

Humm those beginners :-)....

JMF
Hi JMF11,

Here are two documents I found very useful starting then progressing with Kicad.
First one is a ham radio club project, itís very basic but it allows me, step by step, to understand the various Kicad module and the whole design process then to be able to start at new project from scratch.
Second one, from Dave Jones founder of EEVBlog, give you very practical and useful insights on the way to design a pcb.
Those two docs are not recent but, with the help of Kicad documentation and some practice, Iím know working on 4 layers projects...and iím still progressing!
Hope youíll find those docs useful, I follow your threads with attention as Iím also using STM32 in my projects.
Chris

Link to First doc : https://www.robertponge.com/telechar...ks/kicad-2.pdf
Attached Files
File Type: pdf PCBDesignTutorialRevA.pdf (384.9 KB, 64 views)
Old 20th August 2018, 01:47 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IVX View Post
PCB drawing skills it's like bicycle riding, once you get it, never forget. However, without understanding some physics, it is a cheap ability.

@IVX: True :-) That's why I want to mimic the EVM boards layout. And hopefully the datasheet discuss the topic with good details.

@Lutkeveld & IVX: this is OK for my use case. However having information about the registers layout would help being independent from the proprietary tools (which you can only access by requesting explicitly for them). I don't know if IVX has more information on that, to develop an application.

@AIM65: thanks for the documents. Will read them. And I like the Stm32 and nucleo boards for audio applications, with their digital audio dedicated SAI modules (plus I2C features, USB capable)....

JMF

[design log] Neat 2x170W I2S in, I2C controlled, integrated DSP amp (TAS3251)Hide this!Advertise here!