Tube buffers, and Buffers for Class D amps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Can we please make this thread, everything tube buffers and buffers, for class D intended usage? I searched, and the most recent one I was able to find was several years old. I like the extremely clean, low distortion sound from Tripath Class D. But I do find it can be a bit "sterile" sounding to me. I have considered the Pass clone buffer from Jim's Audio for $184 shipped, But I found a seemingly simple solution to volume control ( gain setting for me ), but with the ability to roll tubes, for a bit less "sterile" sound. So I have decided on the FX Audio Tube Buffer for approx. $60 for the buffer and better tubes.

Amazon.com: FX Audio TUBE-01 6J1 Tube Buffer HIFI Preamplifier (Black): Cell Phones & Accessories

I was going to post a photo, instead of the link. But my internet is too slow. I will replace the link at a later time.

What buffers of any kind do you prefer or dislike, for pairing with Class D amps ?

Last edited:
I prefer a low impedance (differential ) source for differential class D amps.
I prefer a low impedance SE source for SE class D amps.

Lower noise pickup mainly...discussed many times.

I buffer pots if a pot is needed.

This:

TPA3116D2 Amp

was started 5 years ago ( how time flies )

There are a few posts in there about source impedance, noise, pots, pre-amps.

Good luck with the pre-amp. Let us know your opinion of the sound when you get it.

:)

Yes, cjkpkg. Al of my researching, and I never came across that one. The other tube buffers were rather Spartan looking, compared to that kit. Seems to be nice. But I'm not an EE either. I know less about design and circuits than anyone into DIY should be allowed, LOL.

I prefer a low impedance (differential ) source for differential class D amps.
I prefer a low impedance SE source for SE class D amps.

Lower noise pickup mainly...discussed many times.

I buffer pots if a pot is needed.

This:

TPA3116D2 Amp

was started 5 years ago ( how time flies )

There are a few posts in there about source impedance, noise, pots, pre-amps.

Good luck with the pre-amp. Let us know your opinion of the sound when you get it.

:)

Thanks for the link, DUG. I started reading last night ... but over 1000 pages! Thought I would ask before keeping on reading ... does anyone know if an external gain pot can be added to the Sure amps which do not have them? Can they be unsoldered, and a circuit added in for each channel?

Lack of gain control is a problem on an amplifier this powerful, without a proper preamp set up. Which I didn't want to use.

I would like to make a purchase today. But I am unsure, due to ignorance in circuitry and buffers in general. I wanted to go ahead and purchase this one, for approx. $170 , ACF-2 Aikido Cathode Follower Kit

But it is sold out. I could visibly see it using high end capacitors, and allowing for several tube styles to be used. But it is out of stock, with no return date info. There are a myriad of $50 tube buffers, which use the 6J1 tubes, and are all probably the same thing inside. Reviews are fairly good. Negative reviews seem to be about non working units, and not sound quality issues.

I've set myself a $200 limit. Any advice here would be most welcomed. Thanks

There are a myriad of $50 tube buffers, which use the 6J1 tubes, and are all probably the same thing inside. Reviews are fairly good. Negative reviews seem to be about non working units, and not sound quality issues.

I've set myself a $200 limit. Any advice here would be most welcomed. Thanks

I have the AudioFX Tube 01 buffer. The stock tubes are not very good, too much emphasis on treble for my western ears. Instead I am using a matched pair of NOS Russian Voshkod tubes, paired with a cheap Class D Nobsound power amp, and I can listen to music all day long - beautiful sound. The Audio FX Tube 01 is cheap, so I have another as a spare.

tapestryofsound

I have the AudioFX Tube 01 buffer. The stock tubes are not very good, too much emphasis on treble for my western ears. Instead I am using a matched pair of NOS Russian Voshkod tubes, paired with a cheap Class D Nobsound power amp, and I can listen to music all day long - beautiful sound. The Audio FX Tube 01 is cheap, so I have another as a spare.

tapestryofsound

The FX Audio you speak of, which is also sold under probably 5 or more other names, has been high on my list. While it is probably all I would need, I am not opposed to spending up to $200.

If the difference between $35 and $200 in a tube buffer is not going to make any real difference, and someone has tested that personally, I sure would love to know!

The one I posted a link to above, uses Jantzen Superior Z Caps, etc … I'm wondering if it is worth the price difference. It seems to my non circuit board understanding ***, it should sound better. As it seems designed to a higher quality piece, parts wise.

Lastly, there is the Metisse clones, which can be modded up to a high standard for less than $200. I just don't know enough to make the most educated or informed decision, even after researching.

The FX Audio you speak of, which is also sold under probably 5 or more other names, has been high on my list. While it is probably all I would need, I am not opposed to spending up to $200.

If the difference between $35 and $200 in a tube buffer is not going to make any real difference, and someone has tested that personally, I sure would love to know!

The one I posted a link to above, uses Jantzen Superior Z Caps, etc … I'm wondering if it is worth the price difference. It seems to my non circuit board understanding ***, it should sound better. As it seems designed to a higher quality piece, parts wise.

Lastly, there is the Metisse clones, which can be modded up to a high standard for less than $200. I just don't know enough to make the most educated or informed decision, even after researching.

I couldn't possibly comment other than to say that all that I can afford is the cheapest optio ( albeit after weeks/months of research) to find out what matches with what, to get something musical. Sometimes cheap can be good, but don't let that persuade you. There are others here who know more than me.

tapestryofsound

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.