Final Solution for anti-pop on Sure TPA3116

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What is the final solution for anti-pop during power-on AND power-off on these boards?
I've read more than a few threads searched on google and using DIYaudio search engine. Nothing seems like the final solution during power-on AND power-off. The cap/resistor/schottky diode solution seems to work during power-on only.

Don't mean to beat a dead horse here, but hopefully future google searches will illuminate this thread as the final solution after we get some good responses in here from current owners/DIYrs. Thanks!

This circuit works for me. The 10K is to limit current into the mute pin on power down.
( needed IMHO as Absolute Max input for Mute is -0.3V )

I use a linear supply with enough filter caps to decay slowly...almost no pop heard on power down.

Attachments

• MUTE.JPG
    MUTE.JPG
    14.4 KB · Views: 1,990
Last edited:
Ah, thx doctor. Thanks for clarifying! I'll check to see what kind of circuitry is on the SDZ&FAUlTZ pins on this amp. Which schottky diode do you recommend?

220uF @35V, NOVA

220uF is your DEcoupling cap, i meant the DC coupling caps on the inputs. Pop-noise and RC-timeconstant highly depends on these values. With just 470nF there's almost no pop-sound. With like 10uF (thos paper-oil stuff or similar) things getting tricky.

For the schottky diode, just can take what you've around, doesnt really matter in detail.

I finally got my first set of 15pcs of these little blue TPA3118 boards, earlier this week - still kinda can't get over how small they are :D

But anyway, about these anti-pop circuits... The capacitor-Schottky-resistor combo does indeed give a delay on power-on, but i still get a pop at power-off (at least when using my bench power supply - would it be more effective with a slower-discharging power supply?).

I've used a 10uF/25v 1206 cap from Mute to GVdd, and left the stock 100k from Mute to ground that was already on the board. The input coupling caps are whatever value is/was stock on these boards, and gain's set to minimum (removed the 100k to GVdd and left only the 39k to ground).

Last edited:
This circuit works for me. The 10K is to limit current into the mute pin on power down.

I use a linear supply with enough filter caps to decay slowly...almost no pop heard on power down.

Hi Doug, In your circuit here, what does SUPPLY represent? Is this taken from one of the PVCC pins, or does it just tie directly to the DC power input? (in my case it's a 19VDC supply)

Thanks

Dear DUG, I have purchased a 2 chips amp M190 module like the one in the attached image. I can hear a subtle pop at turn off. I am afraid it might hurt my Denon bookshelf speakers. May I kindly ask you to direct me to which chip I should apply your mod. Thank you so much in advance.

Attachments

• Dual P22.jpg
    Dual P22.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 533
What is the final solution for anti-pop during power-on AND power-off on these boards?
I've read more than a few threads searched on google and using DIYaudio search engine. Nothing seems like the final solution during power-on AND power-off. The cap/resistor/schottky diode solution seems to work during power-on only.

Don't mean to beat a dead horse here, but hopefully future google searches will illuminate this thread as the final solution after we get some good responses in here from current owners/DIYrs. Thanks!

Did you end up fixing your board? Can you post some photos if so?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.