Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Total noob - want to build (assemble) 6-channel amp
Total noob - want to build (assemble) 6-channel amp
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th April 2018, 06:23 AM   #11
DPH is offline DPH  United States
diyAudio Member

Not really what you're looking for power wise. Save it for a project once your son is in undergrad and is building stuff for classes. (Not that I have any experience with that )

I mentioned it above, but the easiest bet for 2x TPA3255EVM boards would be either 2x "Meanwell LRS-350/48" or "Meanwell SE-600/48"

Nothing wrong with nice drivers if you've got them. No sense putting them to waste! My dad and I built (aka he mostly built) some wonderful Seas/Scanspeak speakers, and I certainly value that time with him.
Old 12th April 2018, 06:28 AM   #12
solid7 is offline solid7  United States
diyAudio Member

I value your recommendation on the Meanwell. It's just that I have to buy the Meanwell, but not the other. Just checking to see if we could somehow make it work. But alas, it won't break me to buy the Meanwell.

Thanks for the encouragement.
Old 12th April 2018, 08:02 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

What is the difference in these two power supplies, besides the color and the price?
Mean Well MW SE-600-48 48 VDC 12.5A 600W Regulated Power Supply
Amazon.com: MEAN WELL SE-600-48 AC to DC Power Supply, Single Output, 48V, 12.5 Amp, 600W, 1.5": Industrial & Scientific
Old 15th April 2018, 10:24 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Nobody knows about the power supply, eh?

Anyway, I've got the following equipment list:

1) 2x TPA3255EVM amplifier modules
2) miniDSP 2x8
3) Mean Well MW SE-600-48

I've got a few odds and ends to throw together, but this is happening.
Old 16th April 2018, 03:54 PM   #15
mboxler is offline mboxler  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by solid7 View Post
Look the same to me. If you have Amazon Prime...go for it!

Were you getting the miniDSP to install inside the 6 channel amp or the completed miniDSP in a box? If the completed box, I'd make two 3 channel amps, each with the MEAN WELL LRS-350-48 power supply ($39). Wiring/cabling will be neater, and the left/right amps look nice flanking the miniDSP.

Mike
Old 16th April 2018, 05:07 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

I'd be getting the board to go inside the box, not a prepackaged module. Also, this will now be an 8-channel amp.

We're building a custom enclosure.
Old 16th April 2018, 05:23 PM   #17
DPH is offline DPH  United States
diyAudio Member

Amazon link is the same cost as Allied Electronics, and you can piggyback to get other bits/pieces you'll need for the build at the latter.

Not that you'll need the power, but the lrs-350-48 is less than half the cost at Allied as well. Use one per board.

I'm also assembling an electronics box as an all-in-one from Tinkerboard through amps. I have my boards sitting dangerously in free air, but I'll be getting a 4u case for my setup where I can put all the PSUs in one chamber, the amps in another and the digital-side in a third. 4u is nice because you can flip the EVM boards on their side and get them to fit comfortably, whereas a 3u case is too cozy.
Old 14th May 2018, 07:52 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Default And now the fun part - internal wiring selection

So, I've got my modules and power supply. (2) TI TPA3255EVM and a Meanwell 600W power supply.

I'm kinda fumbling around trying to figure out which wire type and diameter to use. I've seen a few different opinions in a few different threads.

I'm guessing that wiring for power and signal doesn't have to be as exotic as most audiophiles would have us believe. Since I'm saying things like that, I clearly wouldn't know the difference, anyway. But I'd like to do as good a job as I can, within a reasonable pricing structure.

Advice on wiring and terminal connections?
Old 14th May 2018, 10:55 PM   #19
MAAC0 is offline MAAC0  Portugal
diyAudio Member

1.5sqmm and spade connectors is what I use for Rails & ordinary shielded cable for signal. I've seen many amps using that grey CD-ROM analog type cable for signal.
Old 15th May 2018, 02:11 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

What size on the shielded cable? (I'm initially planning on 14 AWG) And what might be a good source of shielded cable for signal? I'm not going to be using exotic audiophile grade materials - because my ears wouldn't know the difference, anyway - so I'd be happy to recycle something.

Total noob - want to build (assemble) 6-channel ampHide this!Advertise here!