Tube system for bike

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey guys, this is my first post. I want to build a amp speaker system that I would strap to my bike and be portable. I am thinking of using 6" PVC pipe with 6.5" marine speaker at each end. The amp and battery would go in the middle. I would like a bluetooth amp so I can play music from my phone with no wires. I am looking for decent sound and can be turned up if I have it outside working in the yard or garage. Trying to keep the price down. That is a lot to ask for, but does anyone have some suggestions on where to start.

ICG

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
I am going to mount it on a rack over the back wheel. I ride with a big group so there would be people in front and behind me.

That's the prime example use where mono is better than stereo. The Tube as a housing for the amp might be tempting but you have to build a separate enclosure because the amp creates heat which can only be dissipated by air. Which in turn means you need venting slots.

Hi Iowatheoutdoorsman.

I hope this is for a Ragbrai adventure.

Anyway, I've done some long-distance bike touring with a pair of peerless fullrange (I think these Peerless by Tymphany 830987 3" Full Range Woofer) mounted in individual boxes and driven by a Fostex solid state amp powered by some lithium-ion batteries that I use for night riding lights as well. Higher power amps that would run from batteries are now ubiquitous. My source is usually a Shanling M1 DAP. With speakers that small, thin and lightweight cabinets are okay.

At the end of the day, you can pull them off of the rack and throw them in the tent or around a campfire.

If I were looking for something more and to sing for a whole peloton, I'd think about something omni-directional.

Hi Iowatheoutdoorsman.

I hope this is for a Ragbrai adventure.

Anyway, I've done some long-distance bike touring with a pair of peerless fullrange (I think these Peerless by Tymphany 830987 3" Full Range Woofer) mounted in individual boxes and driven by a Fostex solid state amp powered by some lithium-ion batteries that I use for night riding lights as well. Higher power amps that would run from batteries are now ubiquitous. My source is usually a Shanling M1 DAP. With speakers that small, thin and lightweight cabinets are okay.

At the end of the day, you can pull them off of the rack and throw them in the tent or around a campfire.

If I were looking for something more and to sing for a whole peloton, I'd think about something omni-directional.
This will be for Ragbrai. I will take a look at the links and info you posted. Thanks

I am thinking about this amp and this for my bluetooth.Trying to keep cost down yet sound great. I am thinking I may build a box for this instead of the tube so my speakers will take advantage of stereo sound instead of speakers pointing in the opposite direction. What would be a good power supply for this amp? I need something that would last all day.

I am thinking about this amp and this for my bluetooth.Trying to keep cost down yet sound great. I am thinking I may build a box for this instead of the tube so my speakers will take advantage of stereo sound instead of speakers pointing in the opposite direction. What would be a good power supply for this amp? I need something that would last all day.

That's over 30$ for those items, not really cost effective because you can get similar specs in one product and cheaper like this:

TPA3116D2 120Wx2 Wireless Bluetooth 4.0 Audio Receiver Digital Amplifier Board | eBay

or this:

TDA7492P AUX 50W*2 Wireless Bluetooth 4.0 Audio Receiver Digital Amplifier Board | eBay

Those don't have potentiometer for volume control, but it isn't necessary, because the source almost always has it.

For speakers you wan't to have something with high sensitivity to extend battery life, so you can forger about car speakers like in that other project. They usually are below 90db sensitivity. I din't know what kind of drivers you can get your hands on, but for example Visaton makes quite good (and cheap :D) full ranges. I have BG-17's in one boombox and they really sound great. You don't get the lowest notes with them, but otherwise loud and clean.

Last edited:
That's over 30$ for those items, not really cost effective because you can get similar specs in one product and cheaper like this:

TPA3116D2 120Wx2 Wireless Bluetooth 4.0 Audio Receiver Digital Amplifier Board | eBay

or this:

TDA7492P AUX 50W*2 Wireless Bluetooth 4.0 Audio Receiver Digital Amplifier Board | eBay

Those don't have potentiometer for volume control, but it isn't necessary, because the source almost always has it.

For speakers you wan't to have something with high sensitivity to extend battery life, so you can forger about car speakers like in that other project. They usually are below 90db sensitivity. I din't know what kind of drivers you can get your hands on, but for example Visaton makes quite good (and cheap :D) full ranges. I have BG-17's in one boombox and they really sound great. You don't get the lowest notes with them, but otherwise loud and clean.
Thanks a lot for the links to the amps. Those seem like they would do exactly what I want. I will have a look at the speakers you suggested *** well.

If you want any bass from the system I can advice you to go for a 2.1 system as you need a lot more bass outdoors compared to indoors. Many 2.1 computer speakers work with an (12v) dc adapter and can be used with batteries. You could just upgrade the amp and recycle an old 2.1 set.

Making something like this yourself which you can use at home or at other outdoor activities is more fun. (6.5" / 8"car sub and 2 small full range/broadband or 2 way speakers)
I would go for a separate bluetooth module as you can use the aux as well and can upgrade/replace later without buying a whole new amp. There are also lots of noise issues with boards with onboard bluetooth.

A great 2.1 board is TPA3116 2.1 50Wx2+100W Amplifier Board Digital Power 12-24V Super Bass Speaker | eBay I have 2 of them and love them; sound great, powerfull, no mods needed, low idle power (<1W) and has a variable crossover for the sub.

Mounting your sub at the end of a pvc pipe/cylinder is fine but don't do that with the tops as you will get the most nasty baffle step reflections.
And don't use car speakers for the tops as most of them they like big volumes.

I'm making a HQ portable system myself and use 2 Visaton FRS 8M (€10 Thoman.de) and a Dayton Audio PTmini-6 planar tweeters and a simple 5kHz x-over from ebay for each top. ((all)tweeters have much better detail and dispersion then a fullrange/broadband driver) and a 8" jbl gto804 car sub. The (test)sound is great and loud. I have to make final enclosures for them and fix the battery pack.

If you want any bass from the system I can advice you to go for a 2.1 system as you need a lot more bass outdoors compared to indoors. Many 2.1 computer speakers work with an (12v) dc adapter and can be used with batteries. You could just upgrade the amp and recycle an old 2.1 set.

Making something like this yourself which you can use at home or at other outdoor activities is more fun. (6.5" / 8"car sub and 2 small full range/broadband or 2 way speakers)
I would go for a separate bluetooth module as you can use the aux as well and can upgrade/replace later without buying a whole new amp. There are also lots of noise issues with boards with onboard bluetooth.

A great 2.1 board is TPA3116 2.1 50Wx2+100W Amplifier Board Digital Power 12-24V Super Bass Speaker | eBay I have 2 of them and love them; sound great, powerfull, no mods needed, low idle power (<1W) and has a variable crossover for the sub.

Mounting your sub at the end of a pvc pipe/cylinder is fine but don't do that with the tops as you will get the most nasty baffle step reflections.
And don't use car speakers for the tops as most of them they like big volumes.

I'm making a HQ portable system myself and use 2 Visaton FRS 8M (€10 Thoman.de) and a Dayton Audio PTmini-6 planar tweeters and a simple 5kHz x-over from ebay for each top. ((all)tweeters have much better detail and dispersion then a fullrange/broadband driver) and a 8" jbl gto804 car sub. The (test)sound is great and loud. I have to make final enclosures for them and fix the battery pack.
Thanks a lot for the detailed post. I would like some bass in this thing. I am going to search out your suggestions on speakers. I decided not to build this in a tube. I am going to make a box as small as I can and leave enough room for everything to fit. The board you suggest looks like a good one. Thanks for the tip on the noise with onboard bluetooth. I read a lot of reviews of guys talking about the noise. I am a noob at this stuff so I do have a question or two. What is the 5kHz x-over used for and is this it? Also what are you going to use for a battery pack? Are these the tweeters? Those things look small which is good. I want to keep the box small.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.