Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Non-engineering somewhat cheap Class D Powerhouse
Non-engineering somewhat cheap Class D Powerhouse
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th February 2018, 04:44 PM   #1
narkotic is offline narkotic  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Non-engineering somewhat cheap Class D Powerhouse

Curious - any links / thoughts on building a (Hypex?) based amplifier that is able to dish out 2000 watts (or thereabouts) in a .5 to 1 Ohm configuration for driving ribbons directly?

There are several on the market that can do this (albeit unadvertised) which requires some trickery, for example Spectron Musician amps can do it but they go into thermal protection since they are passively cooled (a fan fixes this) but I'm interested in something budget, that I can build myself w/ no engineering degree.

Like - Could a Hypex module do it but with a really huge power supply? I'd like to keep the project under $3K stereo if possible, sans chassis.
Old 15th March 2018, 03:18 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

What about the UCD2K module and their SMPS3K kit? Low impedance capable and up to 50 amps of current? I don't see a ton about them being used on this forum, but what I have found is that they get super hot and need adequate cooling. But could it work and sound good?

I see more about NCORE and not UCD. I see terminology of "fullbridge"? What does it all mean?
Old 16th March 2018, 02:58 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Can anyone comment? The only use of these modules that I can find are from 2013 or so and not a lot of info. Thanks

Non-engineering somewhat cheap Class D PowerhouseHide this!Advertise here!