Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Advice from experienced electronics circuit designer wanted -
Advice from experienced electronics circuit designer wanted -
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd January 2018, 12:18 PM   #1
Vennard is offline Vennard  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Advice from experienced electronics circuit designer wanted -

- Willing to compensate for time and advice given to achieve my goal.

I have been studying the following circuit detailed here, for amplifier clipping detection with LED output:
Erreur 404

I would like to ask advice in regards to using this circuit design in high voltage amplifiers, where the +/- rail may reach or slightly exceed the +/-200v mark, and what changes may need to be made.
I would like to be able to assemble these and install almost as a "universal kit", so a single PCB design which can cater for amplifiers with as low as +/- 30v rails, and use the same PCB with modified components for up to +/-200v rails. Also, I would like it to be compatible with amplifiers using a single positive output rail, where the speaker terminals have half-rail on both + and - terminals and the audio signal swings between 0v and rail. Although I imagine this would just mean adjusting where I take ground reference from rather than circuit changes.

My skill level is amplifier repair technician, ideally I would like to have some PCBs made which incorporate mostly SMD components which I will populate myself.

My main questions would be as follows:
- Would I be able to use the same IC across the whole range of intended amplifiers from low to high power (30 - 200v rails), only making modifications to resistor values as suggested on the guide
- Would I be able to assemble this circuit in todays market using mostly SMD components
- Would I be able to add a 3-tier LED visual output instead of the single one, which would light LED1 at first detection of clip, LED2 at 5% over clip and LED3 at 20% over clip, for example.

Thank you for any advice going forward!

Sam
Old 3rd January 2018, 03:18 PM   #2
Khron is offline Khron  Finland
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Khron Send a message via MSN to Khron Send a message via Yahoo to Khron
First of all, it would really help if the link you posted was complete (as opposed to a shortened one with "..." in the middle).

Did you copy the text from what you might've already posted on another forum (which parses links differently)?
Old 3rd January 2018, 10:53 PM   #3
MAAC0 is offline MAAC0  Portugal
diyAudio Member

Start here

Power Amp Clipping Indicator
Old 6th January 2018, 12:08 AM   #4
Vennard is offline Vennard  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khron View Post
First of all, it would really help if the link you posted was complete (as opposed to a shortened one with "..." in the middle).

Did you copy the text from what you might've already posted on another forum (which parses links differently)?
Whoops. Yes thats exactly what happened. Heres the original.

Power Amp Clipping Indicator
Old 6th January 2018, 01:51 AM   #5
cbdb is offline cbdb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vennard View Post
- Willing to compensate for time and advice given to achieve my goal.

I have been studying the following circuit detailed here, for amplifier clipping detection with LED output:
[url=https://www.abcelectronique.com/ann...indicateur.html]Erreur 404[/url

My main questions would be as follows:
- Would I be able to use the same IC across the whole range of intended amplifiers from low to high power (30 - 200v rails), only making modifications to resistor values as suggested on the guide
- Would I be able to assemble this circuit in todays market using mostly SMD components
- Would I be able to add a 3-tier LED visual output instead of the single one, which would light LED1 at first detection of clip, LED2 at 5% over clip and LED3 at 20% over clip, for example.

Thank you for any advice going forward!

Sam
The IC gets 12 volts so yes.
Yes except maybe the high voltage transistors
Yes you can change the clip level for each tier just repeat the circuit for each tier.

The challenge for 200 volt rails will be finding transistors that can take that much voltage.

Advice from experienced electronics circuit designer wanted -Hide this!Advertise here!