TPA3250 somebody is listening?

Guys, great replies. Very grateful. You're all much more knowledgeable than I am.

the forum I was referring to in particular was this one
fx audio d-802 • LS3/5a le forum
limited access, hard to find lair of hard-core life-long audiophiles, guys with thousands of $ invested in their systems. Not all of them agreed, mind you. An interesting and quite entertaining read if you know French. The post that started it all was this one.
Audiolalies: Derriere le micro, exactement
The FDA discussed costs about $120.

My DAC is this one
AUDIOPHONICS DAC AK4495SEQ 32bit 384kHz Asynchronous USB XMOS Black - Audiophonics
It is my first DAC, other than a Dragonfly Black, so I have no points of comparison, but it's a quality machine. Probably better built than any of the ~$100 FDAs. I'm reluctant to part with it so soon. But I was worried about the additional D/A/D conversion step compared to a pure FDA solution.

The Teac is fine, but it seems a cheap current class D amp might be better, in any case the +15W gain in power will be welcome. I think I'll keep the DAC, and get an FX502S, for almost pocket change, so I can find out. There hasn't been a new FDA model in a while, so I'll wait a few months until new models come out to satisfy my curiosity about those.

guys with thousands of $ invested in their systems. Not all of them agreed, mind you.
There's a lot to be said for system synergy. I consider the Alientek D8 a little coloured, and a bit bass-heavy, so if you were to partner it with speakers with a laid-back presentation, such as 1990's-era Mission speakers were alleged to be, you might end up with a great sounding system overall.

I was worried about the additional D/A/D conversion step compared to a pure FDA solution.
Don't be worried. To be clear, your concern about additional A/D conversion applies only to class D amps, but at the end of the day it comes down to how good these amps sound, at whatever price-point.
I don't think FDA amps can deliver the same SQ-per-dollar that class D does ... as technology currently stands. Sure, this may change in the future. If/when it does, I will buy it and use it for my music listening.

My DAC is this one
AUDIOPHONICS DAC AK4495SEQ
That's a very good looking DAC. If you are unhappy with your sound, I wonder if the amp is all it's cracked up to be, or whether the DAC and amp are a bad match?
If I was you, I would aim to do a listening comparison between
- Alientek D8
- FX502SPRO + your DAC
- your Teac A-H300 + your DAC

Maybe you can find a vendor who will sell you both a D8 and FX502PRO, on the understanding you can return one of these products after a short audition period?

The amp wasn't overused, has seen maybe five years of regular duty but was never controlled. I have no way to ascertain, but I have a feeling it's slacking a bit.
Thanks for your considered opinion on class D vs FDA, that kind of info isn't easy to find. I'm most likely going to get the fx audio and will report back on results.

That is what I was referring:
Mix-match follow-by fine-tuning ~ more added to whole system, more suspects, early in audio path more pronounce.
What make sense? Depends largely on the user's expectations (striking balance with end-objective in mind) & willing effort to try combi.

Dont miss out Spkr positioning - shld be among 1st, instead of last suspects.;)

Last edited:
Yes, the auto-mute circuit found on TI's TPA325x evaluation boards is apparently less than ideal. And I think this is the same with the FX502SPRO.
doctormord has a modification which is supposed to improve the situation, and eliminate these "pops" -
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/287470-tpa3255-diy-discussion-design-etc-73.html#post5488402

It's a common problem with class D amps - many TPA3116 boards have no provision for auto-mute at all.

And the same with most TA2020 boards, including my Charlize 2. For my board, I will one day try this auto-mute circuit -
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/143669-electronics-tripath-board-tc2000-tp2050-199.html#post2529908

Not sure abt other FDA, like D802 etc; for D8 - there is no worry - just power-down no loud-pop sound ill side-effects.

to me, this is an impt consideration, i use D8 over FX502Spro for slight SQ difference, till take risk to do mod on FX502Spro.

Yep - thks pple like doctormod at diyaudio ~:D
Each to his own ~ till then adios!

I wanted to give a quick report about my new FX502SPRO.
As mentioned in my earlier posts it is my first class D amp, replacing a 10 y old mid-level class AB amp which at the time cost over 5x more. The FXAudio is better in every way. More details, better tonality and much better spatialization. I run it in 2.1 with a pair of modest JBL Control 1s and a better subwoofer with high level inputs. Movies sound great and 3 dimensional (I'll probably never go back to a home cinema receiver) ; music sounds great too but, as great as the Control 1s are for their price, will no doubt benefit from better speakers which are next on my list.
Happy times to be an audio enthusiast.

Apologies for the newb question, but I just wanted to check that my understanding is correct regarding the socketed opamps, like the LME49720NA, that can be used to replace the stock ones on the FX502SPRO:

Am I right in thinking that these are plug and play, and do not require any soldering?

Cheers :)

Lorenzospain, I do not yet have direct experience (still waiting to assemble my TPA3250 EVM)
but I don't think you will hear much difference with the power supply you listed.

What should make a difference, though, is using a supply voltage more suited to the TPA3250 - it's been widely reported that 36V - 40V is the "sweet spot" for this chip ... but be careful - your FX502S PRO has capacitors which are underrated for this maximum voltage.
I think 32V is OK. 30V is definitely OK for you.

The next problem is that 30 - 32V are not standard voltages, and I certainly don't think you will find a sealed power supply at this voltage.
The Meanwell NES-200-27 is a metal frame SMPS with adjustable output from 26V - 32V. You would need to mount it in a suitable chassis, paying careful attention to safe wiring. If the chassis is metal, it should be earthed.

Other members here with a 502S PRO may be able to contribute further info.

@vertig, if you read my past posts I tell how I was satisfied with the change of op amps,
and gave my point of view in terms of sound .
As you say "The cost or difficulty are not a concern " and I agree. My advice would be
to do the switch of op amps to listen by yourself with your own equipement if it is a real upgrade in sound, and change again if it doesn't improve anything.

@vertig, if you read my past posts I tell how I was satisfied with the change of op amps,
As you say "The cost or difficulty are not a concern " and I agree. My advice would be
to do the switch of op amps to listen by yourself with your own equipement if it is a real upgrade in sound, and change again if it doesn't improve anything.

because the original are fake

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/315681-tpa3250-listening-34.html#post5408996

@linuxfan, thank's for your answer, in fact I was wondering if the Meanwell would bring more stability power to the FX.I don't expect a great change in sound, but even á tiny little improvement would be welcome .I would not go further in changing power supply
or components , thank's for your proposal .

Sounds reasonable enough ! Problem though, I couldn't find much substantial technical validation in the thread for the swap. Someone who had done the swap mentioned the unit getting hot, which may or may not be related but mine never goes above 25°C. I'm satisfied with the unit for music, not so much for TV where I get occasional harshness /sibilance on some voices, I don't know why. I keep in mind that in the past few weeks, the 502 was measured on the ASR forum and did not do well at all. It's probably going to be a temporary solution for me.

Last edited:
Sounds reasonable enough ! Problem though, I couldn't find much substantial technical validation in the thread for the swap. Someone who had done the swap mentioned the unit getting hot, which may or may not be related but mine never goes above 25°C. I'm satisfied with the unit for music, not so much for TV where I get occasional harshness /sibilance on some voices, I don't know why. I keep in mind that in the past few weeks, the 502 was measured on the ASR forum and did not do well at all. It's probably going to be a temporary solution for me.

Could you please send link to the thread about SR The 502 was measured on the ASR forum and did not do well at all.Thank's