Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

TPA3250 somebody is listening?
TPA3250 somebody is listening?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old Yesterday, 08:27 PM   #801
chermann is offline chermann  Austria
diyAudio Member

thank you Voltwide
..but i guess without external sound card and e.g. ARTA its not possible without damaging the amp(output filter)

what is the disadvantage of measuring with sound card (24/192khz) and software(ARTA) vs Spectrum analyzer e.g. rigol DS705 except the price???
with sepctrum analyser i can do some video measurements or digital too....
Old Yesterday, 09:11 PM   #802
doctormord is offline doctormord  Germany
diyAudio Member

The Rigol is 100kHz - 500MHz, way out of interesting frequency range.

External soundcard + Arta is very versatile. We (at stromrichter.org, i.e. voltwide, me and others) use cheap "EMu Tracker Pre" boxes to do the measurements. These can be modded for differential output easily and can measure fully differential with an external attentuator. You'll find these boxes for about 25€ at eBay (Kleinanzeigen)
Old Yesterday, 11:03 PM   #803
voltwide is offline voltwide  Ireland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chermann View Post
what is the disadvantage of measuring with sound card (24/192khz) and software(ARTA) vs Spectrum analyzer e.g. rigol DS705 except the price???
with sepctrum analyser i can do some video measurements or digital too....
The disadvantage is you are restricted to audio band measurements.
The disadvantage of Rigol FFT is its poor resolution of 8bit being the bottleneck for usable dynamic range of FFT, for instance.
Bandwidth of Rigol is 100MHz - thus increasing input noise into the mV range whereas the soundcard can resolve several microVolts.
As long as you are measuring audio it is hard to top a soundcard setup.
Old Yesterday, 11:15 PM   #804
voltwide is offline voltwide  Ireland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chermann View Post
thank you Voltwide
..but i guess without external sound card and e.g. ARTA its not possible without damaging the amp(output filter)
You can measure with any arbitrary sound source as long as output ringing is kept within sane levels.
And if you increase output level above that limit, the inherent current limiter should shut down the amp.

The only scenario known to me that will destroy the amp is excessive ringing with output inductors saturating. In that case output current may rise too fast before the internal current limit trips. El cheapo small inductors increase that risk.That is why TI specify a minimum output inductance in their data sheets. To be on the safe side, saturating current of the inductors should be bigger than max overcurrent trip value of the amp.
Old Today, 06:04 AM   #805
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by voltwide View Post
You can measure with any arbitrary sound source as long as output ringing is kept within sane levels.
And if you increase output level above that limit, the inherent current limiter should shut down the amp.

The only scenario known to me that will destroy the amp is excessive ringing with output inductors saturating. In that case output current may rise too fast before the internal current limit trips. El cheapo small inductors increase that risk.That is why TI specify a minimum output inductance in their data sheets. To be on the safe side, saturating current of the inductors should be bigger than max overcurrent trip value of the amp.
Thank you! i understand...
TI DS = minimun inductance is 5H
Old Today, 06:11 AM   #806
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by voltwide View Post
The disadvantage is you are restricted to audio band measurements.
The disadvantage of Rigol FFT is its poor resolution of 8bit being the bottleneck for usable dynamic range of FFT, for instance.
Bandwidth of Rigol is 100MHz - thus increasing input noise into the mV range whereas the soundcard can resolve several microVolts.
As long as you are measuring audio it is hard to top a soundcard setup.
The Rigol is 100kHz - 500MHz, way out of interesting frequency range.

External soundcard + Arta is very versatile. We (at stromrichter.org, i.e. voltwide, me and others) use cheap "EMu Tracker Pre" boxes to do the measurements. These can be modded for differential output easily and can measure fully differential with an external attentuator. You'll find these boxes for about 25€ at eBay (Kleinanzeigen)

Thank you both....it was an idea to share the "future" equipment with my brother....but as i can read....its for audio (video....) nonsense
At stromrichter i found no pic or diagram what is exactly needed....but THD measuremnt is actually in my pipe but i have too much to do.......to close some projects
Old Today, 01:48 PM   #808
diyAudio Member

AAhh.. the first i dont know..thanks
link 2+3 i read

thx

TPA3250 somebody is listening?Hide this!Advertise here!