Ok, Jogi
Germany.gif
!
My JLH should be a warmy & mild :)

Hello, my nordish neighbor finnsam
Finland.gif
!
== That's the same as the aliexpress ~40 € board ==
Yes, you are right in main ... But- not exact, and You, I hope, know- Who going into hiding in details ... ;-) !?
That similar boards go to sell in ali approx. Eur 50 ... plus 21% TAX ... plus Custom/postal fee ... It is not so cheap, as can see for a first look...
This board NOT almost perfect, but that do not have haotic pop's on stand-by ;-)

When I ordered it, it was total 40.91 €, and I didn't pay taxes ;)

Yes,finnsam! Some boards can be sold for Eur 40+ , some - that my - for Eur 50+ ... This have some differences in details set- e.g. LDO stab., Caps, OA (e.g. old TL072 or younger TI5532....)
1PC New Arrival Class D TPA3255 MINI HIFI AUDIO Digital Amplifier Board 300W + 300W DC50V Module-in Integrated Circuits from Electronic Components & Supplies on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
And yes, i'm have suspection, that big Elna's on my board it's fake to ... Same quation it's about coils... Seems, that their are simply was red collour painted ...
Ofcouse, TI EVM seems head forward ...

What about taxes... - you are brave man! ;)
p.s. - i'm was thinking, that in Suomi it's stronger Custom compared to ours

My first idea was to buy the TPA3250, finally I chose the 3255 for more powerThe TPA3255 I ordered from AliExpress worked well for a week, then on ignition it broke. With 2 different SMPS, protection boarded. I opened a dispute, and AliExpress gave the seller a reason, because my SMPS was not 50VDC. My SMPS has 32VDC. I tried to discuss and explain and give the TI specs, it's not good that they told me. The advice I give you, flee this product of poor quality and bought another product more quality. But if your PCB works well (apart from the plop), so much the better.

Last edited:
I have the TPA3255 because I could get it as an open board at a very attractive price. Do I need the TPA3255 instead of a TPA3250 board? - no. For home use, the TPA3250 is fully sufficient and the chip design and specs are fundamentally from the same DNA. The thing I would care about in my choice is that the power decoupling capacitors are (or can be made) sufficiently large (close to 10000uF or better), that the power adapter has a capacity exceeding the the total output power you expect with at least 20% and that at least NE5532 Op-Amps are used for an eventual pre-amplifier stage (my board has TL072s but I may replace them with LM4562s).

Evidently, at a certain (high) output power level the TPA3250 distortion will increase rapidly where the TPA3255 can go further (provided that the power supply voltage and current capacity is sufficient). But, at that power level your family may already have left you.

That a TPA3255 board risks being damaged by operation at other than 50V is nonsense, provided the power supply capacity is sufficient to remain stable (no significant voltage swings). I have used 31V and 36V without any problems.

My experiences with buying from far Asia are generally very good and my TPA3255 board has also that origin. Apart from the longer delivery time, the issue to take into account is the case of a defect. The costs for returning goods to far Asia may quickly make the (unsuccessful) purchase less advantageous.

I take the chance on the state of items delivered and repair (or modify) if needed. In case of no delivery, the system seems to work well.

My use of the TPA3255 board: symphonic rock, some classical and new age music. Heavy floor towers or 3-way book-case speakers according to mood.

Last edited:
You have experience with switching regulator rails and several switching mosfets (amplifier) near a LM4562 ? You ever had implementation in which LM4562 was superior to NE5532, and if so how does this implementation compare to these ampboards ? Have you ever had worse results from LM4562 and how did that implementation compare to these ampboards ?

That's the same as the aliexpress ~40 € board (without 3.3V regulator, but blue board).
I bought it and it worked OK for a week, then it started producing popping sounds (for 30s, a couple of pops a second) when powering it up, during which no audio could be played. Then it works ok.. except that now it also sometimes produces pops after being powered and used for a while. :whazzat:

There is no hum or hiss (when it's working properly)! I am using Meanwell LRS-350-48 to power it.

Because of these problems I ordered tpa3251 board from 3e-audio...

I didn't know about the 3e-audio board. Looks better indeed.
I guess I will decide between this 3e-audio and Hifimediy T4 Jantzen.
I read on some forums that the sound differences between Hifimediy and 3255EVM are very very small and both boards look like quality builds.
Thank you.

You have experience with switching regulator rails and several switching mosfets (amplifier) near a LM4562 ? You ever had implementation in which LM4562 was superior to NE5532, and if so how does this implementation compare to these ampboards ? Have you ever had worse results from LM4562 and how did that implementation compare to these ampboards ?

I have a Cambridge DAC Magic (first model) that uses, as far as I recall (not near my lab right now), a capacitive voltage converter for generating the dual rail voltages. I replaced the original NE5532s (JRC) with LM4562s and it just sounds great to me. Very analytic.
I have a Music Fidelity V-DAC and put in OPA4134 and LM4562 as replacements. Subjective opinion: it sounds great as well.
A<>B comparison with "before" and "after" is difficult.

The LM4562 is told to be very analytic and not to everybody's taste. The replacement of NE5532 by LM4562 may be arguable from of sound point of view. Replacement of TL072 should be a safe bet and I have no NE5532 in SOIC package.

Hey AleksandrsB & denbret , just wonder what cause you to pick TPA3255 over TPA3250?

You are driving spkers in a large room, tower spkers, open-space party, average spkers sensitivity, etc? You intented music source - rock, pop, classical, etc?!? Or TPA3250 distortion going higher at some watts?

You are right. The 3250 would be powerful enough for my needs.

Those JRC 5532 should be an improvement for the amp in this thread, measurably.

Having switched to LME49720NA in my FX audio amp I can say that the NE5532 does significantly hold back the potential of this board. The 3e board does look impressive also, but as far as I can tell it uses some JRC (5532?) for the buffer and they are not socketed. I have reasonably bright speakers (ascend cmb170se) and at least with my setup I don't find the LME grating at all, its a very natural realistic detail. Unfortunately my experiment with the TO99 package LMEs didn't work out, 38$ down the drain :( but it was worth a shot. At $10 or so for a pair of 49720s I think its a very worthwhile upgrade, and a decent linear power supply is also important. I haven't exactly listened to too many "audiophile-grade" ridiculously priced amps, but I have tried many T-amps and class D of varying quality, but this setup sounds pretty incredible and I have been damn impressed with its performance day to day, with music, movies, games, anything I throw at it. I would confidently pair it with any 1000$+ passive monitors.

Hi, how is the volume control on the FX-Audio? Does it degrade sound quality?

I think it is a basic potentiometer with detents. On my somewhat sensitive (-88db @1W/1M) speakers comfortable listening volume constitutes generally about 8 to 10 oclock on the dial. I'm sure a more nice ALPS pot or some fancy stepped solution would be better but this one is OK, I don't notice any scratchiness, clicking, noise, or any significant channel imbalance at lower settings. It doesnt feel as nice as a ALPS or something but its fine. I do plan to upgrade to even better but less sensitive speakers in the future and I'm sure that will work out fine.

What I would REALLY love is a ubercharged version of the FX amp with even better board and better pot, components etc, but when youre making things in the 1000s quantities that kind of stuff can really add up, and to make something that sounds this good with this kind of performance even at twice the cost is IMO very impressive. I would gladly pay 2.5x the cost for a significantly up-rated version, I think the audio quality and performance of this thing is on par with 1000$+ amplifiers, with the upgraded opamps (LME49720) and linear PS. My ideal amp would probably be one of the Wiener Pro boards, with input transformers, and mounted in a case, as I am not interested in doing much DIY work. Unfortunately those Wiener boards are probably not being made anymore unless the guy gets an order of 100+ quantity, so the FX502 is really lucky thing for us to have available.

One additional downside of the 3e board is like the FX amp it does not make it easy to change parameters such as gain, something a proper solution such as the Wiener provides. I believe there is significant fidelity to be gained in lowering the gain to the minimum setting, and I'm pretty sure the FX is set to something other than that, no idea about the 3e however, it may already bet set to +20db (lowest). With the FX I would also prefer dumping the voltage regulator components, as I am already running off a variable linear PS and would like to be able to adjust operating voltage. I do NOT recommend operating the FX on anything other than its normal 24V-- even on lower voltage the components will get hotter as the regulatory circuit probably tries to step it up to 24V. It didn't destroy my amp fortunately but I noticed it only really runs cool at 24V no more no less.

Why arent there more enthusiast focused companies or providers building TPA3250 based fully built amps for purchase? I would love to buy something at reasonable price (~200-300$) with the kind of performance this 3250 has, but nothing even comes close it seems. All of these audiophile companies seem stuck on the old way of building stuff that ends up costing thousands of dollars for not that much real performance.

Last edited:
I checked what components are in this Popping Aliexpress tpa3255 board.

There's LM2575S-15 connected to power input. It has absolute maximum supply voltage 45V, recommended 40V max. I guess that's why it started popping.
With 24V supply LM2575 GND-Vout is 15.6V, Vout goes to LM317K which outputs 2.86V. I wonder where the 12V is generated. Maybe some very small SMD component with cryptic writings on it.
From lm317 specs I calculated 2.64 output voltage for resistor values 2000 and 220.

Would it have been too hard to use LM2575HV-15 instead? I guess it would have cost $0.3 more and nobody would then have afforded to buy it.
LM5010ASD used in TPA3255EVM costs about the same, and is speced for 6-75V, with >80% efficiency at 60V.

I have pics with heatsink removed if someone wants.