TI TPA3255EVM

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Easy would be the old school latching relay makes a nifty kachunk when it works, but not too sure what's available in 600w

I'm thinking about putting my EVM3255 and the 48 volt Meanwell power supply in an old Antec NSK1380 computer case from my junk pile.

I would like to know if there is an easy way to use the case's existing on/off button (standard ATX momentary switch) in connection with some type of circuit to switch the 120VAC supply to the PS. By "easy way," I'm hoping for some kind of module I can order from China for 79 cents with free shipping, but I wouldn't be adverse to putting something together myself if some can give me some pointers.

Also: what kind of fuse would be recommended for this setup??

Nice little setup, Rich. Would you happen to have the part number for the Molex connectors? TIA - Pat

Sorry for the late reply:

3-pin connector - Molex 22-01-2035
22-01-2035 Molex | Mouser

Crimp-on socket - Molex 538-08-50-0032
08-50-0032 Molex | Mouser

I crimped these on using a pair of small needle nose pliers instead of the specialized crimping tool. You’ll need one per each wire (6 total). I bought spares in case I messed up the crimping.

Has someone used these boards in 4 channel mode.
I’m building an active crossover.

BTL for the sub and Se for the mid/tweeter. One channel not used.

Plug in filters. HP for the mid/tweeter, BP for the sub.

Had to use TPA3255 because of 40V supply.

My own board though...a little off topic, sorry.

:)

Attachments

• IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    827.2 KB · Views: 413
  • IMG_0005.jpg
    IMG_0005.jpg
    788.4 KB · Views: 410
  • FILTER-ACTIVE-PCB-4P.JPG
    FILTER-ACTIVE-PCB-4P.JPG
    68.4 KB · Views: 388
Last edited:
BTL for the sub and Se for the mid/tweeter. One channel not used.

Plug in filters. HP for the mid/tweeter, BP for the sub.

Had to use TPA3255 because of 40V supply.

My own board though...a little off topic, sorry.

All helps,

It’s my first active crossover and first diy speaker pair.
The hardest thing I’m finding is choosing as there is a plethora of class d amps.

Depending on your power needs the 3255 in SE will do some 40ish watts into 8 ohms on a 48 V rail? At which point, you've got to ask, "how much power do I really need?"

(I think, don't quote me)

Boards-wise, at this price it's really really hard to justify anything else. None of the Chinese implementations are as nicely equipped, and hardly cheaper. And the 325x series is, as mentioned elsewhere, a notable step up on anyone else in monolithic class-D amplifiers.

Last edited:
Nice amplification solution for an all digital system. I love my vinyl too much to go that route.

Is anyone aware of big name commercial AV equipment manufacturers who are using TI's Class D technologies? I have to believe they sell a lot of their Class D ICs to notable, high volume manufacturers to keep investing in this market.

ha.. i was looking for an all digital amp with decent power output before settling on the 3255.. couldnt find anything decent. all my sources are digital.

having said that, ive now got 2x 3255 evm boards.. i could only have purchased one of these for the cash. plus, reading the setup guide.. it seems rather more involved to configure, and its not clear if it could be used easily in a daily-use system.