Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Problems with amp and Bluetooth module.
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th November 2017, 05:30 PM   #1
Bustedparts is offline Bustedparts  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Problems with amp and Bluetooth module.

Hello all. I am new here and somewhat new to electronics. I am learning all I can in my free time. Reading articles and trying to take in as much information as I can. I am not new to the 12 volt world as I have been a automotive tech for 20 years. But the whole semiconductor and digital and analog thing to me is very new. So I have been doing alot of reading. I have 1 project that I have been working on that has brought me here. And that is building a bluetooth boombox. I went and picked up a cheap board from amazon and I think it might be broke or it is just not what I am looking for. I also picked up a pair of JBL control one bookshelf speakers that I was planing in using in the build but I am not completely sure if they will work for what I want. I am looking for clean crisp sound with defined lows. So the Amp I got from amazon comes with a bluetooth 4.0 board installed. And it boasts 2x50 and 1x100. I hooked up the JBLs and I measured the impedance and they were 3.2 ohms a speaker . And I used a power brick @ 12volts 5 amps. ! it has a hiss when music is not playing and 2 completely not impressed with its output. So I took my labs bench supply and put 24 volts at 3 amps. No change in output. I did notice that it would not consume over .20 amps of current ? Not sure if that is correct or not. So I dont know if my amp is at fault or my speakers ? But I thought that this place would be the perfect place to find the answers to my questions.
Old 6th November 2017, 05:44 PM   #2
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Welcome to diyAudio

You are probably best asking about this over in the Class D forums, this is really just for intros.

Altering the supply voltage to an amplifier will not change a given output level that it is playing at, if that makes sense.

A higher supply will allow an amp to go louder, but if its only delivering say 1 watt into the speaker then 12 volts or 24 volts, it will still be playing at 1 watt.

Are you applying enough signal level to drive it fully ?
Old 6th November 2017, 07:05 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

THe signal level is coming from the bluetooth reciver. I am not sure what pin is responsible for that line.
Old 6th November 2017, 07:18 PM   #4
diyAudio Moderator

Thread copied over from 'Introductions'. Hopefully you will get lots more help and advice here.
Old 6th November 2017, 10:50 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks for moving it. Hoping to get this figured out.
Old 7th November 2017, 06:48 AM   #6
diyAudio Moderator

To sort this really needs more detailed information.

If it is not loud enough then we would need to know the sensitivity of the amplifier module (how much signal it needs) and also how much signal the BT part puts out and to confirm that by measurement (looking with an oscilloscope).

Also the 'level' of the files you are playing although if they are normal MP3/WAV etc then they should be pretty standard.
Old 7th November 2017, 06:22 PM   #7
millstonemike is offline millstonemike  United States
diyAudio Member

Post pics of the amp you bought. Bustedparts has hit upon the likely issue you are having. There are several (many) of these amps where the dB gain setting of the amp chip is not high enough given the input (from BT or aux input on other amp modules).

Also, I presume that you turned up the volume on the BT source to max.

Lets see the module. Many here have experience with them.
Old 7th November 2017, 09:18 PM   #8
doctormord is offline doctormord  Germany
diyAudio Member

The hiss pretty much come from but module interference/conducted noise on a bad layout but can mostly be fixed with some patching. In most cases an additional (unnecessary) balanced2unbalanced stage is used which introduces noise.
Old 8th November 2017, 05:56 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Here's the board I bought. I will also provide a Amazon link to what I bought. I am waiting for the slip in the mail to send it back. I am thinking of getting something different. Maybe without a bluetooth board attached . IDK. It has left a bad first impression.
Amazon.com: Douk Audio TPA3116 2.1 50WX2+100W+ Bluetooth Class D power amplifier Completed board New: Home Audio & Theater
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171106_013112.jpg (982.3 KB, 125 views)
Old 8th November 2017, 08:16 PM   #10
millstonemike is offline millstonemike  United States
diyAudio Member

Sorry, I haven't touched that board.

Problems with amp and Bluetooth module.Hide this!Advertise here!