Allo Volt+ for stereo TV "home theater"?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey everyone. I know the Allo Volt+ is well received for listening to music, but has anyone used it for their TV? I live in a smallish apartment so a full surround sound setup is a bit much, and I already have some decent bookshelf speakers, so I was considering just connecting the audio out from my TV to an amplifier like the Volt+ instead of getting a more expensive and bulky stereo receiver. Any thoughts?

Don't see why it shouldn't work... I have one such setup (not with Volt+, but another Class D amp), and it works quite nicely.
It would be nice if your TV already has proper line out level, though ("proper" RCA connectors)...
Usually the basic TVs have just 3.5mm for headphones, and the results with those might be less than ideal....

Last edited:
Don't see why it shouldn't work... I have one such setup (not with Volt+, but another Class D amp), and it works quite nicely.
It would be nice if your TV already has proper line out level, though ("proper" RCA connectors)...
Usually the basic TVs have just 3.5mm for headphones, and the results with those might be less than ideal....
My TV has RCA audio out, and I know it has variable volume control (meaning when I change the volume on the TV it adjusts the volume on the RCA outputs as well) so I wouldn't have to get up and adjust the volume on the amp, which is nice.

I'm wondering most about imaging, since there won't be a dedicated center channel. If the speakers are on the sides of the tv will dialog sound like it's coming from the sides or will the imaging make dialog sound centered?

Basically I'm trying to decide between doing something like this or getting a sound bar.

Last edited:
I'm wondering most about imaging, since there won't be a dedicated center channel. If the speakers are on the sides of the tv will dialog sound like it's coming from the sides or will the imaging make dialog sound centered?

What I use (simple stereo Class D amp) sounds quite natural - I never felt a need for a dedicated "center speaker".
The placement of your speakers will (naturally) influence the imaging to a certain degree...
However, for a small room, where space is at premium, a soundbar would probably be OK. Haven't heard many of those, so can't offer any insight there :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.