New Breeeze Audio TPA3116 2.0 100W dual chip

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    446.6 KB · Views: 2,365
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    405 KB · Views: 2,324
Hello everybody :wave2:
Recently I bought this breeze audio amplifier from ebay .
I am going to get it about in a 2 weeks from now .

NEW Digital Power Amplifier HiFi TPA3116 Stereo 2.0 Channel Audio Amp 100W+100W | eBay

any body has tried this amplifier ? do you have any opinion about it ?

It's completely silent, until you play music, the switch is only for muting/sleep, and there are no popping sounds, even removing and inserting the power cord, the only issue is that you will fry the chip if you give it the wrong polarity, don't ask me how I know this.
But on the whole it's pretty well perfect, for that price.

ICG

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
It's completely silent, until you play music, the switch is only for muting/sleep, and there are no popping sounds, even removing and inserting the power cord, [...]

That should be requirement and not a bonus, doesn't it?

[...] the only issue is that you will fry the chip if you give it the wrong polarity, don't ask me how I know this.
But on the whole it's pretty well perfect, for that price.

Well, that's quite unfortunate. To make it reverse polarity safe is not very difficult though. Fuse in series, 'reverse' polarity diode to gnd. Extremely simple, effective, no drop in voltage and if it's connected reverse the fuse blows.

Last edited:
Is the lid vented to let the heat out ?

I haven't tried to run a party with it yet, so I don't know how hot it would get. But I doubt there will ever be a problem, unless you get to an occasion where you should have something beefier in the first place, like all of these things, power is dictated by supply, and at 24V, you can expect a nice 20W at 8ohm, and that's a lot.

ICG

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Most TDA7498 amps work well to excellent, easy to realze amp comcept. But, well, that amp got the same problem, if you use high power, the heat can't be dissipated - no air movement and exchange happens at all. Probably not a problem at neighbour-friendly levels but still an issue to look out for if you are throwing a party or got some low efficiency speakers like it becomes more and more popular.

Hi

if you refer tot th TPA3116 chip amp there are alot of threats to read for updates and modifications.

my personl expereiance with the closed amp (FX 502Spro) is that in living room level and party level i dont get problems with heat but if your request for really loud party level and Boom box it might be better to change the housing or drill a lot of holes inside and use bigger foots to let the air flowing well.

or look to more powerfull amps like TPA3251/TPA3255 - TI EVM and 3e boards

chris

Thank you Chris,

I already have the single chip version and have done the gain mod, replaced power caps, and added a DC power switch to turn the amp off. I was looking for a more powerful amp, so I ordered this one. I might try the TI TPA3255 EVM board.

I was referring to mods specific to this amplifier, not TPA3116 in general. I have a steady hand and am quite good with a soldering iron, but I am not an electrical engineer nor as knowledgeable as others on this forum.

Thank you Chris,

I already have the single chip version and have done the gain mod, replaced power caps, and added a DC power switch to turn the amp off. I was looking for a more powerful amp, so I ordered this one. I might try the TI TPA3255 EVM board.

I was referring to mods specific to this amplifier, not TPA3116 in general. I have a steady hand and am quite good with a soldering iron, but I am not an electrical engineer nor as knowledgeable as others on this forum.

i dont know the TPA3116 chip but start with your know mods adn try to copy this to this amp. Make some pics and write us your ideas ...so the help is easier...

maybe the TPA3116 experts = Fauxfrench is busy...he know a lot of 3116 amps...;)

chris

Thank you Chris,

I already have the single chip version ............ I was looking for a more powerful amp, so I ordered this one. .......

This dual chip version amp is 2x100W @2ohm (great for subs)
single or dual chip will give you 2x50W @4ohm

So the dual chip amp should be just as loud with the same speakers.

TDA7498E might also be interesting for 4ohm loads or higher. The red Sanwu board (<$20) is fine.

Last edited:
Output is currently probably limited to by amount of bass your speakers produce.

You can add better/more bass and clean up the mids a bit by using a 2.1 line level crossover with a at least a variable low pass for the sub (s). (ebay <$10) Add 1 or 2 sealed (car?) subwoofer (s). (as 2 sound better then 1, not for stereo) Which you can power with the dual chip amp.
You can plug the reflex ports with foam or socks.

Thanks Chris and Think for the suggestions!

By the way the speakers I am using are the Elac B6.2 (6ohm). I like them a lot!
They sound very good with my modded single chip Breeze TPA3116. I guess I am just looking for a reason to try something new and with headroom.

-David

hi bitperfectq

i should get my amp (TPA3116 dual chip breeze audio...) this week. i summarized all points i can find up to now.
my proposal because you had expereiance at modding:
if you want to investigate some modifications first check if this points are correct implemented.

chris

Attachments

• TPA3116D_dual chip_readyamp_overview_1.pdf
    121.5 KB · Views: 376
  • TPA3116D_dual chip_readyamp_overview_2.pdf
    32.7 KB · Views: 224
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.