Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

New Breeeze Audio TPA3116 2.0 100W dual chip
New Breeeze Audio TPA3116 2.0 100W dual chip
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th August 2019, 01:56 PM   #131
carlmart is offline carlmart  Brazil
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbowatch2 View Post
The NE5532 is a very good OP-amp. Compared to "usual" cheap OP-amps used in active x-over and many other even good quality audio products, it is very expensive.

For most people there is no other OP-amp, how expensive it might be, that will have a real plug&play impact in a well designed audio product if changed for the NE5532. Well designed means no foreseeable mistakes on power supply and corresponding parts.

In the past there have been intensive OP-amp tests from audiophiles which did not bring out any final result, even after thousends of IC have been rolled.
Indeed it is no easy task to do a objective listening test.

My personal experience is that you can spot a really low quality OP-amp at once, but it is very hard to find a better sounding one in a field of good ones. The differences will be so small, you will not be able to clearly repeat them after the time you need to change the OP-amp in the hard ware. Without a switching system that makes A/B comparison possible in a fraction of a second, you will be lost.

Another problem, thanks to our Chinese friends, are fake OP-amps. No Chinese can resist if you can turn a .2 Cent IC into a 5 or even 20$ one, just by writing another name on it. These fakes have often made their way into even reputable component sellers stockīs in the past and will do so in the future, as long as people wont to make money quick.
So some people might be testing eBay fakes against Amazon ones...
I have several choices here, from samples that were sent by manufacturers several years ago. No 5532, of course.

Didn't have the time to look into all of them, but I picked three that I think might be good there: AD712, OPA2604 and OPA2228.

Which one would you think might work better on the Breeze?
Old 28th August 2019, 05:59 PM   #132
chermann is offline chermann  Austria
diyAudio Member

Hi Carlmart

try all 3 op amps. rolling them. let them play 1 or 2 times over night and then compare.

chris
Old 30th August 2019, 03:49 AM   #133
Turbowatch2 is offline Turbowatch2  Germany
diyAudio Member

If they fit into the board (Data Sheet), just put them in and try to figure out differences.
Depending on the rest of the chain and listening material, maybe you find your preferred one for this board and the way it implements the OP-amp.
The better the speaker and sound samples are, the more you may hear. The tweeter is IMO the most important component. Got to be very good quality. I find it easier to find a favorite DAC than a "better" Op-amp.

You have to be in a perfect mental "Testing Mode" too, the house has to be silent. Often late at night it is much easier to find any differences, maybe the voltage feed is better with less load. Leave the beer in the fridge, even very little alcohol kills any objective acoustical judgement (see: "Party Mode")
Sometimes "better" it is like another dimension, sometimes it might only be a feeling in the gut. It is up to you to find out! Sorry, giving advice on such parts is not very helpful, it depends on your board and itīs components, what sounds best.

Anyway, better parts might not always lead to better sound, but I do not remember any case where they sounded worse.
If you want to know what is imagination and where reality strikes, You have to buy two DUTīs and modify only one. At the end you know where you stand or might give up tuning cheap stuff.

Last edited by Turbowatch2; 30th August 2019 at 03:55 AM.
Old 8th October 2019, 03:55 PM   #134
carlmart is offline carlmart  Brazil
diyAudio Member

BTW, I have been using the 2604 with excellent results.
Old 9th October 2019, 11:06 PM   #135
sajunky is offline sajunky  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FauxFrench View Post
True Thorsten,
An alternative would be to try to modify the speaker impedance.
This Zobel network is set to 30kHz (-3dB), so it will not modify speaker impedance in the audible range.

There are two reasonable options: try it or do not try. I made one today for FX502SPro. It looks like complex harmonics come out more detailed, less distorted. I had a feeling it was helping my Polks RT3. Then I played Katie Melua - In Winter, it has a nice choir, but some tracks sound harsh both on FX and Icepower amps. A track Plane Song is recorded with an occasional grating starting at 0:40 for ten seconds. It triggered a low volume purrr purrr purr on the left channel, then it started moving progresively to the middle and disappeared when reaching right channel. I played the same part couple times, it didn't happen again, but now sibilants became stronger than normal and generally transients were overhang.

I initially thought that Zobel network made FX unstable and the controller made an adjustments that didn't work well. This is amazing, it uses series of test pulses sweeping across channels! I powered FX off, checked all connection and found one terminal slightly loose. That was a problem! Now still playing and everything is fine.
Old 13th October 2019, 10:50 PM   #136
diyAudio Member

Please disregard suspicion about stability of FX502SPro with Zobel network. The same happened with Icepower 125ASX2 and I didn't attach Zobel network yet. This time it was just purr purr purr on the left channel which stopped after 3 seconds. Then it came back after a minute. I quickly played 15 second back, it stopped.

A DAC is Nobsound 8x TDA1387, so it can be responsible USB interface chip (CM108). The chip use isochronous data transfer and a laptop is setup for WASAPI exclusive push. I don't know whether it is right or wrong, please advise.
Old 14th October 2019, 11:41 PM   #137
gasolin75 is offline gasolin75
diyAudio Member

Those who don't think this amp sounds fantastic or want's to improve the sound, try a tube preamp. For even better sound some better vacuum tubes

FX Audio 6j1 tube preamp - a $31 wonder | Audiokarma Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums

Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide | Headphone Reviews and Discussion - Head-Fi.org
Old 15th October 2019, 01:52 AM   #138
Turbowatch2 is offline Turbowatch2  Germany
diyAudio Member

If you hear "purr purr purr" from one of your speakers and have no cat in the room, move your smartphone away from your audio gear. Will help 100%. Some things are quite easy to fix...
Old 15th October 2019, 09:59 PM   #139
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbowatch2 View Post
If you hear "purr purr purr" from one of your speakers and have no cat in the room, move your smartphone away from your audio gear. Will help 100%. Some things are quite easy to fix...
I know sound of irregular old GSM purr-purr-purr. This is regular one (a single click every 1/4 or half of second - something between). The first time it was spanning from left to right channel, well positioned. But yes, I agree GSM phone can trigger errors in USB transmission. This is not in my case, as I use phone only in emergency, so usually I don't keep it on the desk.

New Breeeze Audio TPA3116 2.0 100W dual chipHide this!Advertise here!