class-D Amp for Bi Amping a Woofer in a 3-Way

Hey there,
i am trying to find a Amp to drive a woofer which i would like to add to a 2 way system. the 2way should be driven from a valve amp, KT88pp, and i am thinking of adding a woofer like the faital 12pr300 for low end extension.
The two way could be driven with its passive crossover, maybe a active highpass added.
i have also seen some regarded designers following this setup, and it would be a great starting point to play with class d and an active xover.
there are lots of people going for a hypex modules, but there are also some suggesting a IRS2092 sounds better (and costs substantially less).
What surprises me is that a lot of people seem to be happy to simply order some ready made "modules" from china but i wouldnt mind a bit more diy.
is it worth building a class d amp? the L15D seem to come at less than20€ each and i dont seem to be able to even find the chips:confused:,
any opinions?
cheers
Juergen
Merken

There is no comparable feeling to one when you make your own D class or any class amplifier that works.I recommend DIY.If your happines is only in paying less to have something that works then just buy a module,otherwise forget on money and start researching and enjoying in music and sound on new way.....way which you need to find to get there where they joy is.

Hello Mikelanjelo, i can understand your point.
its important to remember that not everybody has the skills to completely design a amp themselves. I certainly have not.
For me it is already a pleasure to follow a design, preferably by one or more smart heads in a forum like this. with the ability to make component choices and where to source them and the pleasure of building it myself i find it much more rewarding than simply nailing together a few modules
Finding a design here in the forum which suits my needs and deciding on its pros and cons is already quite a challange.
having said that i stumbled upon the SystemD LiteAmp by chocoholic.
this looks amazing and i am not sure if i need to look further...

Thanks!
after reading some more i will stick to the LiteAmp Design,
i need to look into power supplies and even here it might be worth finding some DIY solution. there are some reasonably priced SMPS out there, i am not sure about their performance.
It seems that most people in Forums go for SMPS instead of the good old linear supply.

If amp is designed properly litteraly it can work good on any type of psu.Cheapest way for you to achieve what you want is to make single voltage d class amplifier that works on 24V to 48V DC.D lite amp can be converted also to use single voltage rail.You can ask Chocoholic to convert it for you.....its nothing hard to do.I said cheapest becouse you can buy SMPS on Aliexpress for low price and you have to make only amplifier board....

DIY SMPS

I know it is convenient to simply buy a smsps, but i have a cheap one here, and everytime i look at it on my desk i am wondering if i wouldnt be better off with diy...:wrench:
i get pcbs for the Liteamp, i want to stick to the 2x65V(max) rails.

Is there anyone in here who has built their own smps and is willing to share?

so far i found
http://www.diysmps.com/forums/showthread.php?79-1kW-smps-project-(based-on-MicrosiM-design)&p=674&viewfull=1#post674
and on diyaudio a thread by EVA,
The ultimate amplifier SMPS. What comes after LLC? Single stage PFC.
but it is beyond my capabilities to turn this into a functional design with pcb.
i think i would be able to follow a recipe with included gerber file.

thanks guys!
Juergen
Merken
Merken

Last edited:
just to finish this off,
i built two channels of liteamp:),
thanks chocoholic for this amazing contribution.
it is powered by a hypex SMPS, and i am thinking about dsp options at the moment.
Currently i use an active xover which is quite old by now and will be replaced hopefully soon.
thanks for your help
J

Plopp when switching off

Hello there.

i made some progress.

The liteamps are powering the Woofers, and i put all the electronics in an old Tuner chassis.

I got rid of some ground loop problems, which took me a while, there is only one problem left:
A plopp sound when switching off.
now i wonder what exactly causes it?
in my layout is a LDR volume control, followed by an active Xover (from a german forum) i can attach the circuit here.
the outputs are wired up to the liteamp.
When i short the output of the volume controler it still plopps when turning off,
when i short the output of the X-over the problem is gone but what exacly is causing it?:confused:
any ideas?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Schaltplan Aktivweiche.jpg
    Schaltplan Aktivweiche.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 327
  • Systemwiring.pdf
    66.6 KB · Views: 106
...if it is still of concern...
Most likely the supply of your cross over is collapsing earlier than the output of the hypex supplies, which are feeding the LiteAmp.
When the supply of the cross over collapses, then the operating points of the OP amps are moving/bumping.
If this happens before the LiteAmp has deactivated its power stage, then this bumbing at the input of the LiteAmp will be
amplified like any audio signal.
So you should make sure either that all your DIY stages have their own antiplop mechanisms - or ensure a delayed turn off of their supplies.