The New Hypex Fusion Plate amps

Could you describe it a bit more how the passive L-Pad changes the sound? I do not mind the hiss too much but thought in a finished speaker would add it to make polish them up. Also I do have a pop when turning speakers on and off. Cosmetic, but anyway. What is the different in sound then when a -11 dB is dialed in digitally versus with passive components?

Okay, with the-11dB L-pad in place, the noise coming from the speakers are reduced by 11dB of course, but the sound lost the subtle contours, lost some airiness, fine detail and became harsher. That's how I heard. I used Jantzen Superes resistors, maybe I'll try Pathaudio resistors in the signal path in the future, but it's not cheap. Frequency response was the same as without the L-pad.
I suggest you give it a try, maybe you’ll like it. Please report back what you hear if you will try!

Guney's Place: Resistor Shootout: Duelund, Pathaudio, Jantzen!

Hi folks,

I have a new fusion amp fa503, i think i have a wrong setting as my speaker doesnt get loud as i would expect

In HFD, should i set a volume? Where is that?

I use a dac preamp and i need to crank the preamp up to -20 db for my listening. If i go to -10, its loud but i suspect it should be louder .. if i crank up to -5 db (almost to max) its loud but not as loud as i would expect from a 1000w amp

Is it a preamp problem?

Thanks for tour thoughts

The default analogue input sensitivity of the FA is 6.15V for the XLR, most DAC-preamp can do only 4V output on the XLR, so with 0dBFS on the Fusions, you can't drive to maximum output. To be able to drive to max level, you can increase the Fusionamp digital gain over 0dB (at the expense of more noise) or set the analogue input sensitivity (needs SMD soldering, check page 17 in the FA manual).
Anyway, you can check the actual output level if you click VU on the HFD main screen,

???

I clicked on xlr 2v +9db on the main screen

I will check what VU can offer
Any settings i need to do it VU?

That +9dB in the software actually doesn't do anything in the case of FA.

"Quote : To be able to drive to max level, you can increase the Fusionamp digital gain over 0dB

What does it means? Sorry
"

If you have a typical DAC-preamp with 4V output on the XLR, you can't drive a Fusionamp to max level at default, because the default input sensitivity for maximum power requires 6.15V using the analogue XLR input of the FA. Also this means that the FA output is quieter than normal at your typical volume control position on your preamp.

You can figure this out by increasing the volume above 0 on the HFD main screen (but that's a digital volume control, and going above 0 increases the noise floor significantly, it's audible, I tried, you can try it out too) or by soldering the analogue input sensitivity jumper (page 17 in the Fusionamp manual).

Both ways, you get more SPL for the same volume control position on your DAC-preamp and you would be able to drive the FA to max level.

Last edited:
If the default maximum volume (your preamp is at max) is enough for you then it doesn't matter which input you use.

If you use digital input, then you save a DAC-ADC cycle (but that's essentially transparent from the FA side) and you don't have to adjust the analogue sensitivity for maximum output.

I soldered the analogue gain jumper with good result, using the analogue XLR input.

Last edited:
Thank you for feedback

I use dac with xlr as it is what i have, though i could use RCA also

I check the soldering area ... its tiny ��.. any where here i can see pictures of someone that did it?

In HFD , filter design page on top next to "help" there is a volume section, i set to 0

Also, on the main HfD page where there is the hypex info, under preset settings, theres a volume bar, is it here i need to set 0 db?, i lzft of -40db .. perhaps is it my problem?

My pc is in my bed room, but my speakers are in living room, its not easy for me travel the 30kg speaker to bedroom to adjust and test, i'd rather do it only once������

hey there i have 2x fa253 from first batch with my studio monitors.

firmware is still v1.0 i have no troubles and the sound is great. they are in daily use. great product!

unfortunately i stepped on the mini USB cable last week and the USB port on the fusion amp seems to be mechanically broken. it dosent connect to the PC anymore.

is there a possibility to fix it?

Thank you for feedback

I use dac with xlr as it is what i have, though i could use RCA also

I check the soldering area ... its tiny ��.. any where here i can see pictures of someone that did it?

In HFD , filter design page on top next to "help" there is a volume section, i set to 0

Also, on the main HfD page where there is the hypex info, under preset settings, theres a volume bar, is it here i need to set 0 db?, i lzft of -40db .. perhaps is it my problem?

My pc is in my bed room, but my speakers are in living room, its not easy for me travel the 30kg speaker to bedroom to adjust and test, i'd rather do it only once������

Hello, it's me again:)

Any one has pictures of soldering the analogue input sensitivity jumper (page 17 in the Fusionamp manual)?

Thanks

Here are the analogue input gain jumpers that need to solder, it's not mine, I just found that pic on the net. I think the two red lines (two jumpers) is for RCA, below that is the single jumper (yellow line) for XLR.
Please someone correct me if I am wrong!
izOYK0.jpg