The New Hypex Fusion Plate amps

Boy I gotta say, I love these hypex amps when they are working. But I've had really bad luck with them reliability wise. First, one of the two I bought was DOA, and needed to go back to hypex for repair. Got it back, and have been enjoying them for a few months. Last night listening to music as usual, and got a loud buzz/crackle out of channel, then nothing. Now the amp goes into protection immediately after self test, and whatever the 'incident' was, has killed a very nice woofer. So now at the very least, I'm out another $100 for woofer replacement, and months without the amp.

At this rate I will have been unable to use my fancy new active speakers for more time than I have been able to use them, since deciding to go the Hypex route. Feels discouraging, and not exactly confidence inspiring to hook even more expensive drivers to them, like I had hoped to eventually.

I will shortly be borrowing one of these for a play with a view to buying for my 3 way centre.

Just wondered what the easiest or best way of using HFD is. I've been having a play with the software and it seems ok. Are people doing most things in REW, re measuring, verifying what the filters are doing exactly, and so on. Or are the measuring functions inside HFD any good for the basics. Haven't got one yet obviously so can't comment. Just trying to get a plan of action ready for when I get it in the next week or two.

Also I've yet to see any used ones come up for sale which is a good sign but money is tight so used would be good so I can do my LCR. Anyone seen any used ones sold in Europe/ on here on the classifieds yet?

For my part, I was measuring in REW, and bringing the measurements into either XSIM or Vituixcad to calculate my acoustic offsets (I have a UMIK). Then I was designing the crossover and PEQ blocks there until I got a good starting point. Once I had that, I replicated those blocks in HFD. Then it was a matter of many iterations of 'upload to dsp' -> 'measure in REW' -> tweak filters/peq -> 'upload to dsp', repeat. Whether I will be doing this in the future remains to be seen.

If you had really robust off-axis measurements, like vituixcad can work with, then it would probably be better to spend more time designing there before settling on the 'good starting point'. The repeating of all the off axis measurements would make for a much longer tweaking process so getting closer in the simulator would make more sense.

At this rate I will have been unable to use my fancy new active speakers for more time than I have been able to use them, since deciding to go the Hypex route. Feels discouraging, and not exactly confidence inspiring to hook even more expensive drivers to them, like I had hoped to eventually.

now you got me worried as I have SBacoustics beryllium connected directly to NC100HF without any capacitor or so...
I was thinking that those amplifiers have some kind of protection at output so thay are not able to destroy drivers :rolleyes:

now you got me worried as I have SBacoustics beryllium connected directly to NC100HF without any capacitor or so...
I was thinking that those amplifiers have some kind of protection at output so thay are not able to destroy drivers :rolleyes:
Fragile and expensive tweeters directly connected to the amp is a bit of a hazard. It only takes a bit of cross-eyed filtering to burn a good bit of money.

I’ve done this, but with some Scanspeak 2604 tweeters I paid $35 a piece for.

The expensive Beyma and ESS AMTs get a cap, even though they are tougher than a regular ole dome tweeter.

Johan-Kr

Fragile and expensive tweeters directly connected to the amp is a bit of a hazard. It only takes a bit of cross-eyed filtering to burn a good bit of money.

I’ve done this, but with some Scanspeak 2604 tweeters I paid $35 a piece for.

The expensive Beyma and ESS AMTs get a cap, even though they are tougher than a regular ole dome tweeter.

Johan-Kr

Jea, I know...but I'm not afraid of eror on crossover side, only that amplifier mide do the demage.

Twetter is crossed at 2.4kHz LR 2order, any hint what capacitor value to use that will not mess into crossover slope ?

For my part, I was measuring in REW, and bringing the measurements into either XSIM or Vituixcad to calculate my acoustic offsets (I have a UMIK). Then I was designing the crossover and PEQ blocks there until I got a good starting point. Once I had that, I replicated those blocks in HFD. Then it was a matter of many iterations of 'upload to dsp' -> 'measure in REW' -> tweak filters/peq -> 'upload to dsp', repeat. Whether I will be doing this in the future remains to be seen.

If you had really robust off-axis measurements, like vituixcad can work with, then it would probably be better to spend more time designing there before settling on the 'good starting point'. The repeating of all the off axis measurements would make for a much longer tweaking process so getting closer in the simulator would make more sense.

Thanks, as luck would have it the very helpful person who assisted me with the passive crossvers used vituixcad so I have all the measurements handy from that, including off axis and acoustic offsets . So I can start designing the active elements in there then for a good start point. Then REW from there, I also have a UMIK......

Jea, I know...but I'm not afraid of eror on crossover side, only that amplifier mide do the demage.

Twetter is crossed at 2.4kHz LR 2order, any hint what capacitor value to use that will not mess into crossover slope ?

I have made the crossover mistake, I'm sad to admit :( At one point in the design process, hooked up my sb29rdc to the woofer channel and fed it the woofer's signal at decent volume for about 5 secs before turning it off. The tweeter distorted like crazy but amazingly survived unscathed. This is a seriously robust tweeter!

What happened in my case was quite different. What did get fried, fed the proper lowpassed signal from the woofer channels, was a Rival r176p woofer:

Paper woofers by Rival Acoustics – Rhythm Audio Design

Which can take an awful lot of power (I had broken them in with an adcom 555) and they didn't complain at all. Indeed they played for days with these the fa123 without complaining until 'the incident', then was dead within 3 seconds. Looks like I can't even get a replacement now, and the enclosure is a transmission line designed specifically for this woofer, so the whole project may need to be scrapped.

If it's any comfort, you might consider my unit as having been 'refurbished', it had already been back to hypex for repair when it was DOA. Presumably brand new units are more reliable.

Help setting up FA502 for subwoofer use

HI, I have an FA502 which I hope to use with a Dayton UM18-22 in a sealed cabinet.
I have bridged both channels and updated the FW on the amp, which I did a few months ago whilst waiting for the cabinet to be built.

My Marantz av processor will be providing the LFE out to the 502.
Can anyone help me with setting the filters for this?
I've had a look in the HFD but cannot work it out. I understand there will be no output until a filter is set.
Also are there any other settings that should be changed etc?
Any help is gratefully received.
I hope you are all safe and well wherever you are.
Thanks
paul

Just when I thought most problems came from FA12X or older modules..
Master loses sync to slave. Repower with remote, a continuous fast trtrtrtrtrtr sound from the module.
Repower again, loud pufff noise from the amp and some flash light....:bawling::bawling::bawling:
Toasted component there on the smps

Attachments

• 20200403_205849.jpg
    20200403_205849.jpg
    608 KB · Views: 390
Just when I thought most problems came from FA12X or older modules..
Master loses sync to slave. Repower with remote, a continuous fast trtrtrtrtrtr sound from the module.
Repower again, loud pufff noise from the amp and some flash light....:bawling::bawling::bawling:
Toasted component there on the smps

Sorry to see that :( Hope you at least preserved your drivers. Curious to hear what Hypex says about yours - they told me to return mine again, no acknowledgement of my destroyed woofer.