The New Hypex Fusion Plate amps

Not sure about beating the hundreds of thousands of euro systems, but indeed the Fusion is a great & very cost effective solution. I may have been a bit critical here and there (and still believe there are aspects of the Fusion that can be improved, though probably at a higher cost), but in the end I am very happy to have acquired the amps.

For a long time I was thinking about active speakers, but buying 6 channels of NC400 with 6 DACs and multi-channel solutions is very expensive. Being able to buy this all under the cost of a pair of NC400 monoblocs is pretty spectacular...

Back to music listening now... :-D

Fedde

p.s. And I agree that the speakers and especially room acoustics are the most dominant factor in the end...

p.s.2. As a side note, I heard the 110.000 euro actively driven Steinway Lyngdorf model B open baffle sound system at the X-fi show in The Netherlands this year. This was amazing... never heard such an accurate piano reproduction from any speaker. Trying to make my own lost cost active baffle speaker solution that hopefully can approach it a little bit..

Cool :)
Ah yes well that open baffle system may be a good thing in a room. Similar to the Linkwitz LX521.4
I believe it reduces the room reflections due to a figure8 pattern with the rear being out of phase (which has some cancellation effect on the reverb?).
I'm not experienced with such speakers myself but it could well be they perform the best in regular (big) reverberant rooms. The full off-axis radiation pattern of regular closed boxes is for sure not ideal (not sure if a rear tweeter will help here though).
But in any case, this is probably again about the room / how different speakers behave in a room (and how that Steinway/Lyndorf probably reduces the effect of the room through both open baffle radiation cancellation and room correction software).
Though in other ways that 110.000 euro system doesn't look like "the best" or value for money. And I'm absolutely certain that it would be completely outclassed by a well designed closed 3-way system with Fusion amps of a few thousand total cost in an anechoic room :) (though there is a little psychoacoustics trick to make it work best in anechoic conditions, developing a comercial product for this though won't elaborate on this now).

Last edited:
Yes, due to the eight pattern, side reflections are (largely) gone. And the rear reflections are reaching the listener later in time anyhow. More importantly, in a dipole system, the rear reflections have a similar sound balance as the front sound. This is more close to the reflections of a real instrument in your room.

For a bit of cloning inspiration, a link to a video of Mr Lyngdorf himself about the model B. He uses six 12 kg woofers per speaker, LOL...
YouTube
Would like to get hold of such a 5" 95 db/W mid driver for my Fusion project...

Fedde

Don't know whether this is the right Forum, but would appreciate some help with applying the correct Q values to my HFD filters. At the moment I'm just guessing the values so loads of trial and error involved.

Hi here, Steve!

Yes it's mainly a trial and error. If the Q doesn't fit, just change the value until it fits. Q is the bandwidth of the filter simply saying.
But maybe someone know a better solution here.