The New Hypex Fusion Plate amps

@DS23man: do you have any advice on the mounting the plate amps in MDF? Can I make this tight around the PCBs or do I need to reserve some room (e.g. a few cm below the PCBs or is it required even around the PCBs)?

Fedde

I do, and I can tell you if the cutout is too small you will have trouble getting the insulating material on the board through the hole, too big and the screws will have nothing to bite into. Best you buy your modules before you cut. Depth wise only a small clearance is required.

I do, and I can tell you if the cutout is too small you will have trouble getting the insulating material on the board through the hole, too big and the screws will have nothing to bite into. Best you buy your modules before you cut. Depth wise only a small clearance is required.

The Fusion package is waiting for me at home... :D

Thanks to all for the answers!

Fedde

The good news: my Fusion plate amps arrived. The bad news: the PCBs are curved around the transformer. :(

Does anyone has this issue as well? Should I be concerned about it and return them?

Best regards,

Fedde

Attachments

• FusionPCB.jpg
    FusionPCB.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 398
Indeed the root cause is FETs that pushing the PCB up due to an isolation layer. So far they have not experienced issues with this...

Still not so happy about this though... I think it is a design issue...

Would you be happy if the PCB was flat? I am happy because it works great, even if it's not straight.

Are you sure it's an isolation layer and not a thermal conductor layer? If it's the latter, then a slight bend is even preferable than a flat but weak contact.

Last edited:
This evening I did a first experiment connecting the Fusion to my Supravox bicone and later also adding the AMT. Regrettably, more bad news. I can clearly hear noise coming from the speakers. The Supravox noise I can hear from roughly 1m, but the AMT noise even clearly from 3m. Disconnecting USB and/or S/P-DIF does not help. I have flat filters to start testing and volume at -56 dB (but the noise does not change with volume). Is there anything I can do to lower noise?
With Ncore/Soekris combo I do not hear noise even if I put my ear in the drivers!

Fedde

p.s. I was using channel 1. It seems that channel 2 has a bit less noise and channel 3 (tweeter) significantly less. So putting the AMT on channel3 helps. Still too much noise to my taste, but with a bit of extra series resistance probably just about acceptable. Mid-range noise is a bigger problem, I do not want to add resistance. Is there any possibility to reduce amp gain?

Fedde

Is there anything I can do to lower noise?

Check that at Device settings/DAC filter options, Sound quality set to 1, FIR filter mode set to 0. I don't know what they does exactly but other than the default values the noise floor increases, especially at the FIR mode selector.
Are you twisted the wire pairs and routed away from the power supply as the manual recommends?

Last edited:
Check that at Device settings/DAC filter options, Sound quality set to 1, FIR filter mode set to 0. I don't know what they does exactly but other than the default values the noise floor increases, especially at the FIR mode selector.
Are you twisted the wire pairs and routed away from the power supply as the manual recommends?

Yes input 1 is for bass, 2 for mid and 3 for tweeter, whis typically is the most sensitive one.
Is there any signal wires connected? Analog or digital. Any difference with them on/off? With crossover activated, tweeter is quieter if signal carries noise.

My FA123 boards give no noise that I could hear.

The DAC settings are at default, I do not have the wires close to the power supply and the noise stays even if I remove the spdif connector. I did not twist the wires yet however, I will try this out. Using the right channels is indeed crucial I found out. I would have had to return the units if the noise of AMT stayed as high as with channel1. Channel3 noise is significantly less! (6 dB less gain or so) Actually, the noise of mid is now higher than the tweeter. I will add 4 ohm series resistance to tweeter which will help sound quality anyhow. Solution for mid tbd, I have asked Hypex for guidance...

Fedde

Probably yes. I took the 1.33 firmware from the Hfd folder and loaded it. But I see only 1.3 in the GUI. Is the minor version not shown? Is anything changed regarding noise behaviour in recent firmware? Does anyone know where the noise comes from? Is this the DAC or inbetween electronics? I would assume that the NC252MP amps are dead quiet...

Fedde