The New Hypex Fusion Plate amps

Hi, just joined and had a good search but couldn't find a definitive answer to this question: does the Hypex FusionAmp type FA122 contains an actual NC122MP module? They look very similar apart from around the power input circuitry. The reason for asking is that I want to build the NC122MP into a stereo integrated amp but being an OEM module no one can sell me one but I can get a FA122, and potentially strip out the amp section. Many thanks.

@ds23man, someone earlier in the thread thought you could do the curve in eq in the Fusions?

You can do the RIAA curve in the fusion amp but it will compromise the Signal to Noise of your ADC readings.

The only way to do it reasonably would be to use the Fusion Amps built in volume control and run as high a signal into the fusion as possible but even then I'd still use the RIAA preamp before going to the Fusion Amps.

I guess the main question is how are you doing volume control?

Hi, just joined and had a good search but couldn't find a definitive answer to this question: does the Hypex FusionAmp type FA122 contains an actual NC122MP module? They look very similar apart from around the power input circuitry. The reason for asking is that I want to build the NC122MP into a stereo integrated amp but being an OEM module no one can sell me one but I can get a FA122, and potentially strip out the amp section. Many thanks.

Yes, the FA122 uses the NC122MP. If take out the amp board from the FA122, you have a separate NC122MP amp module that you can build into your stereo integrated amp.

See p. 17 on the FA122 manual. https://www.hypex.nl/documenten/download/1720

Hypex FA122 manual said:
The FusionAmp serie is powered by our range of mains
powered Ncore modules. For more information on
their performance you can download the relevant
datasheet from our website.

FA122: NC122MP
FA123: NC122MP + NC100HF
FA251: NC250MP
FA252: NC252MP
FA253: NC252MP + NC100HF
FA501: NC500MP
FA502: NC502MP
FA503: NC502MP + NC100HF

Hello friends; I have a set of Hypex FA123 plate amps that I have yet to start using. My intention is to build a large active floorstanding 3-way.

I am wondering what the *minimum* impedance load is for the woofer section channels? I am looking at running 3 x SB20PFC30-04 per bass section, and modelling these in parallel they dip down to 1.3-1.5ohms in places.

I've read that they ncore amps are stable to 2ohm, with a minimum impedance of 1ohm, but am not sure if this applies to the fusion plate amps as well? Anyone have any experience or knowledge here?

Hello friends; I have a set of Hypex FA123 plate amps that I have yet to start using. My intention is to build a large active floorstanding 3-way.

I am wondering what the *minimum* impedance load is for the woofer section channels? I am looking at running 3 x SB20PFC30-04 per bass section, and modelling these in parallel they dip down to 1.3-1.5ohms in places.

I've read that they ncore amps are stable to 2ohm, with a minimum impedance of 1ohm, but am not sure if this applies to the fusion plate amps as well? Anyone have any experience or knowledge here?

Poor amp with that impedance load.
The Nc MP amps tops output power at 4 Ohm and the best efficiency is around 8 Ohm. If you go lower in speaker impedance, the amps efficiency decreases, distortion increases, more heat generated and the Fusionamps are temperature and current limited devices.

Either way, you can ask Hypex, i think they know it best and have a good support.

Last edited:
The amp channels appear OK with low impedance loads but the on board power supply is not up to the task when running two of the three channels slightly below 4R near full output. HF channel was 16R. We were running pre production speakers at their limits during this test. This is my experience with the FA503, the lower power versions may be different.

Thanks for the input everyone. I did hear from Hypex about this, their answer:

When the impedance is lower than 2 ohm, you aren’t able to use the full power of the amp as the output is current limited to max 12.5A.

You’ll have a max power of 75W to 100W per output until the current limiter is activated.

At 2 ohm, the maximum output power 115W so even then it is already limited. We do not encourage to go lower than 2 ohms.

So I am reconsidering my plans, so the impedance of my bass section will not dip down below 2ohm, current plans have minimum impedance ~2.8ohm.

Finally get around to installing and configuring my FA123 and I get:

Productcode: Unknown

And the HFD refuses to upload presets.

WTH is going on with Hypex that they would ship a fresh off the line module (mine was the first or second batch) without testing them?

I read here that they'll send you a software tool to fix this. Why not just post this publicly since it's obviously a known issue? It's not available anywhere that I've looked.

I've emailed sales but I'm guessing everyone is home drinking eggnog and this won't get resolved until after the holidays.

Merry xmas.

I'll never buy another Hypex product again.

I have the same proble, albeit an FA503 amp.
Surprisingly enough, only ONE is faulty out of the two I bought at the same time/order.

I have tried the usual trix...reboot, update firmware (1.3) and update to the HFD is in 4.83.

Was there a software fix for this? If so, please provide me with it...or are there any other fixes for this now?