The New Hypex Fusion Plate amps

I never claimed that Class-D stays cool but for a plate amp running at almost 50 degrees C is quite extrem I thought. Also that must be very stressfull for the parts?
Probably I can throw it away in 20 years lol

Stressful for the part is when server processor is running 24/7 at 80 degrees C.

I also consider these amplifiers heatsink temperature as perfectly normal.

FA plates should have signal sensing/auto shutoff toggled on in software panel. It has several options, not too easy to set, and new firmware is said to improve this function (detects lower signal level?) My FA123 are passively vented, but vents are partially covered. The plate is around 45-48C. I am mostly worried about condensator's life span, it has power on 24/7.

Definitely this is much worse situation, than in those boiling-hot, class-A heaters with 10-kg heatsinks with hi-end magically heat-resistant capacitors.. This is not a problem. Much bigger problem with those plates is that indeed it cannot be set as stereo amplifier for powered speakers and I wonder why?

Definitely this is much worse situation, than in those boiling-hot, class-A heaters with 10-kg heatsinks with hi-end magically heat-resistant capacitors.. This is not a problem.

Pff lol .. do you really believe that Hypex used the same hi-quality and hi-life span condensators that a manufacturer would use who builds 20KG of class A amplification .. ?!
Just NO

No I don't believe in it, as well as I don't believe that caps are operating constantly close to its rated temperature or even at the heatsink temperature. Do you believe that heatsink temperature is the same thing as PCB-mounted capacitor temperature? Do you want FLIR thermal imager report from me for being sure or what? :)

No I don't believe in it, as well as I don't believe that caps are operating constantly close to its rated temperature or even at the heatsink temperature. Do you believe that heatsink temperature is the same thing as PCB-mounted capacitor temperature? Do you want FLIR thermal imager report from me for being sure or what? :)

Yeah you're also right. The PCb and condensators for sure do not have the same temperature as the heatsink. Thats true. I think we can agree here.

miniDSP vs. Hypex?

I have used the miniDSP plate amps and they do work great, except for some noise. I am using them with a high sensitivity loudspeaker (99dB) and there is some really strange noise coming out of the tweeters. I have tried various ways to solve the problem but it appears to be the PowerICE amps themselves that are making the noise. I was wondering if the Hypex amps were more quiet? The data they provide doesn't look that great to me (miniDSP appears to have better numbers?). Has anyone tested these Hypex plate amps? I'm used to the software on the miniDSP but I suppose I can learn something new if the Hypex is really much better. Thanks.

You will hear the hiss from 99dB sensitivity driver for sure. Bare NCore amplifier with stock buffer and switched mode power supply is very quiet. Equipped with any kind of DSP - not. 99 dB is a challenge for going active in silent domestic environment. Resistive padding of excessively sensitive channel can solve the problem.

Last edited:
I can't hear any strange noise from Fusionamp with a 93 dB speaker.
I have to get close enough to hear that little noise, which I think is quite normal from any amplifier.
I cannot hear anything from the listening position (2m) when the amplifier is resting.
+6dB speaker sensitivity would it matter so much?

Yes, this is 2x more acoustical output. Much depends on listener's environment and experience. Mostly, I found that this is inacceptable for listener when compression driver is directly paired with contemporary DSP without resistive padding and the listener is listening to music in calm, domestic fashion. When you want to pair 99dB sensitive speaker with DSP for large venue sound reinforcement it is acceptable.

Yes, this is 2x more acoustical output. Much depends on listener's environment and experience. Mostly, I found that this is inacceptable for listener when compression driver is directly paired with contemporary DSP without resistive padding and the listener is listening to music in calm, domestic fashion. When you want to pair 99dB sensitive speaker with DSP for large venue sound reinforcement it is acceptable.

Thanks so much! yeah, I was wondering if I should install a pad between the amp and the compression driver. I turned the channel for that driver down by 6 dB (from 105 to 99) in the DSP software but it's still noisy. I can try a normal loudspeaker L pad instead.

I can't hear any strange noise from Fusionamp with a 93 dB speaker.
I have to get close enough to hear that little noise, which I think is quite normal from any amplifier.
I cannot hear anything from the listening position (2m) when the amplifier is resting.

I will say that this is normal.
Hypex FA amps have some issues with some shielding. You should hear some digital-kinda noise.
If you go some pages back you will find lots of people complaining about this.
Hypex has done nothing to solve this.

I will say that this is normal.
Hypex FA amps have some issues with some shielding. You should hear some digital-kinda noise.
If you go some pages back you will find lots of people complaining about this.
Hypex has done nothing to solve this.

There was a reaction to some noise mentioned. Possible culprit: the signal cable that bends too close to the power pot.

Remedy: insert a piece of foam to inch it away, there is slack enough. I did that. It moved outwards by 3 cm.
I have no sound issue; I did it preventive (so did not listen without the piece of foam).

I have a 15dB L pad and I feel it reduces dynamics a bit. Probably, this effect will be less pronounced with a 6dB L pad.
I asked why is that happening here on forum. People say a serial resistor increases Qes which means amp damps driver movements less.
I'd try the suggestion above and avoid L pad.

Yes, that is true as far as I know. The noise I have is from the miniDSP plate amp. I've discussed it with them and they just say "we never expected anyone to use our amps with high sensitivity drivers".... haha. Ok, well, what's needed in the field is a super low noise DSP plate amp. I have no clue how to make that happen, but a lot of horn loudspeaker guys would benefit from them, that's for sure.

The noise is still present when the input volume control is turned all the way down, so the noise is coming from the device itself. As someone noted above, it's most likely from the DSP electronics. MiniDSP suggested that I used the L pad they provide between the DSP and the power amp. I think I tried that with no result, besides the fact that adding series resistance will add noise anyway.... sigh. I looked at some of the chips they used for the DSP boards and I don't see any name brand (TI, et al.) op amps on there. Looks like no name or oem I guess?

Oh well, with music playing, I can't hear any noise, and others can't either, so it's not a huge issue. I am concerned though because I want to make a home theater system using all DSP plate amps. That's a lot of plate amps!

I hooked up a DE250 + horn to the 250 watt miniDSP plate amp and just got a really mild hiss. So, maybe the 125 plate amps use cheaper parts that make more noise? I dunno. I'll have to ask them about that. (the idea of powering a DE250 with a 250 watt plate amp is absurd on it's face, but i was just curious).