The New Hypex Fusion Plate amps

Since there was talk in this thread about the possibility of a delay between two Hypex Fusion amps I'll update it.
I calculated that in the worst case scenario the non synced clocks of two Fusion amps would not be audible on the ASRC, but then started getting worried again about the PLL's in the digital receiver of the ASRC and not knowing the algorithm they used for jitter reduction if they could cause an audible delay.

So I sent an email to Hypex asking these questions.
And in a few days I got a reply. They took the time to measure it! What a fantastic company!
And I'm happy to say, the delay is not there! :) Or atleast so small it is irrelevant.
As attachment the measurements.

It really looks like these plate amps are doing just everything right!

Attachments

• Opstelling.zip
    443.2 KB · Views: 93
Level adjustment

Hi,

maybe my question is a bit of of topic, but maybe some of you can help me regarding those amps.

I am planing to create a full active surround system with these amps. To be fully active I would like to use a 3-way model for both front speakers and 2-way models for center and rears.

My question is how to send data to the amplifiers? I could use some source with RCA out and bring the Mono Signal to each amp independently. Howver, I would prefer to use the digital input in order to reduce DA/AD conversions.

As I understood, I could use a master / slave connection, connecting Digital Through of Master with Digital Input of Slave and use loudness control of the master amp (the slave adjusts to this setting?).

But what about the rear pair e.g.? The might be connected to each other identically, but I would have to adjust volume for front and rear seperatly? I dont think that a nice solution.

Finally, I have not found a possibility to adjust level in the source, or are there any (digial) solutions?

I hope you get an idea of my problems and looking forward for any ideas.

Kinds regards,
curator

Since there was talk in this thread about the possibility of a delay between two Hypex Fusion amps I'll update it.
I calculated that in the worst case scenario the non synced clocks of two Fusion amps would not be audible on the ASRC, but then started getting worried again about the PLL's in the digital receiver of the ASRC and not knowing the algorithm they used for jitter reduction if they could cause an audible delay.

So I sent an email to Hypex asking these questions.
And in a few days I got a reply. They took the time to measure it! What a fantastic company!
And I'm happy to say, the delay is not there! :) Or atleast so small it is irrelevant.
As attachment the measurements.

It really looks like these plate amps are doing just everything right!

Hypex is indeed first rate. They are true professionals who deliver what they promise and go above and beyond to treat the customer right. You can bet too that if there was a problem they would do the right thing and fix it as well. Other vendors would do well to take note.

I am planing to create a full active surround system with these amps. To be fully active I would like to use a 3-way model for both front speakers and 2-way models for center and rears.

My question is how to send data to the amplifiers? I could use some source with RCA out and bring the Mono Signal to each amp independently. Howver, I would prefer to use the digital input in order to reduce DA/AD conversions.

As I understood, I could use a master / slave connection, connecting Digital Through of Master with Digital Input of Slave and use loudness control of the master amp (the slave adjusts to this setting?).

But what about the rear pair e.g.? The might be connected to each other identically, but I would have to adjust volume for front and rear seperatly? I dont think that a nice solution.

Finally, I have not found a possibility to adjust level in the source, or are there any (digial) solutions?

I don't think you have many options at the consumer level, other than to use an AV processor and take balanced/line level analogue out for each channel separately, and accept that there will be further A-D and D-A in the Fusion amp.

There are probably professional products out there that will take a multi-channel AV digital input, process it and output each of the channels as PCM digital, but I'm not aware of any consumer-level ones that do.

Even then, setting up levels and delays for each channel in each individual Fusion amp would be a pain compared to setting up for your normal listening position in an AV processor, so I can't see there being any demand in the short term for a solution like that.

In the longer term when (if) active speaker systems with digital inputs become more "normal", perhaps consumer-level AV products will include the feature.

Hi, thanks for your posts.

Assuming to use the line input of the amps, I would have to add a 5m Chinch cable along with with the power supply (might cause interferences) or chose a network solution.

For the latter I would add a RPi with DAC Header for each stereo pair and doing level control via software connection. I'm not sure if this works for delay as well. However,

since the leaves the discussion of the FA amps, can one give advise where to move this discussion? I will then crosslink.

Thanks again

Hi,

I am in a similar situation regarding a surround setup with digital active speaker. I am currently building a digital preprocessor with volume control based on the freedsp project. It will consist of an Arduino (with a display, rotary encoder,...) that controls the freedsp over i2c.

I am using four of this moduls to get spdif outputs:
Digitale Interface I2S vers SPDIF BNC WM8804 - Audiophonics

and four of the freedsp classic spdif/AES input moduls:
freeDSPx AES:SPDIF IN - Google Docs

However I had to slightly modify the freedsp smd B to get the i2s inputs working. Additionally I changed one resistor of the digital input moduls to set them into i2s slave mode.

Another possibilty would mayby be the minidsp DDRC-88D:
DDRC-88D All Digital Digital Room Correction powered by Dirac Live
It's meant for room correction but also implements a 8 channel volume control.

Best regards
Alex

You can find my step-by-step guide here:
Setting up a Fusion Amp 3-way Step-by-Step

Hope it helps more than it confuses!

Let me know if I forgot something or made amistake somewhere!

Im working through this and it helps me but still need info on using a mike to measure speaker response using the Hypex software. Most seem to use REW.

I have corrected my error, in ignorance of the Hypex software/system requirements, of purchasing a Scarlet 2i2, now sold. I have bought the recommended Berhinger UMC22 and a Berhinger ECM 8000 mike. Hopefully a futher step towards purchasing a fusion.
I am a little surprised to find that no one has commented on the environment used to set up an active system. From my reading I find one has to use " Free Space " or an appropriate echo free chamber. To this end it means I have to use my speaker in my Garden with it as far above ground level as possible.
How have all who are using Fusion amps completed their final speaker line up -- In their domestic listening rooms -- or am I missing something?
Advice gratefully appreciated.

Hi, have one question for those who use FA253 or similar...

But it's general question...

Do you use protection capacitor on tweeter connected to nc100hf ?

Or do you use directed connection from amplifier to the tweeter ?

I have read, some place, that people are useing large capacitor in series with tweeter, but some people dont use it if amplifier have dc protection ?

Does nc100hf have DC protection and can we assume it will do the job ?

(I have satori beryllium tweeter which is like 96db sensitivity )