The New Hypex Fusion Plate amps

What sonic properties can I expect to improve by going from a single-amp passive crossover to a DSP crossover multi-amp? I'm sure that I can configure low/band/high pass filters at the frequencies that the passive crossover uses with the Hypex HFD software. But how much fine tuning does it need after that. What kind of acoustical measurements does people typically do? Can someone give me a brief overview?

I don't want to describe sonic differences between full active vs full passive, but the advantage of the active system is clear (if executed properly) if your goal is highest quality sound reproduction.
In the case of an active setup, the power amplifiers directly controls the drivers (greatly reducing amp side inter-modulation distortion) without any component (except cable of course) being between them and this can be heard.

For measurements, you need the same procedure like with a passive speaker (mainly frequency response), but impedance measurement here are not needed (big advantage).
You can use the HFD or an external measuring software here.
HFD not works with all type of mic i think.

Finally get around to installing and configuring my FA123 and I get:

Productcode: Unknown

And the HFD refuses to upload presets.

WTH is going on with Hypex that they would ship a fresh off the line module (mine was the first or second batch) without testing them?

I read here that they'll send you a software tool to fix this. Why not just post this publicly since it's obviously a known issue? It's not available anywhere that I've looked.

I've emailed sales but I'm guessing everyone is home drinking eggnog and this won't get resolved until after the holidays.

Merry xmas.

I'll never buy another Hypex product again.

Big thanks to the forum members who got me a copy(ies) of the software fix.

Hypex I'd strongly suggest you make that config tool publicly available on your site and email everyone who might be affected.

That would be a lot better user experience than finding out their modules are unusable on a holiday / weekend.

*I'll probably buy another Hypex product again.

Pain in the butt to work with. But they sound damn good.

Having said that, the biggest win for usability is being able to swap between 3 presets by remote. It's great for dialing in FR as well as picking crossover points / slopes.

I haven't even set up a measurement mic yet and they're pretty close to my reference cans in terms of response.

^^ I don't have a remote and I didn't succeed in switching between presets with USB. Tried it for an hour before gave up.

Today other unit was mute, took me only half an hour to notice that my dog had biten the rca-cable. With new cable sound was very good. I recieved mine in early December, serial numbers are now hidden, but they were not successive.

^^ I don't have a remote and I didn't succeed in switching between presets with USB. Tried it for an hour before gave up.

Today other unit was mute, took me only half an hour to notice that my dog had biten the rca-cable. With new cable sound was very good. I recieved mine in early December, serial numbers are now hidden, but they were not successive.

I wrote a little java application that switches presets, mute and master volume over USB. I'm thinking of porting it to a Arduino type of environment to come up with a small wired(!!!) remote. Ultimate goal would be to elimate any Studio Controllers such as Avocet from Crane Songs, if all speakers are driven with Fusion Amps.

Has anyone used the 3 way modules? Is the high frequency amp good, any issues? I am keen to see if it can drive a horn loaded compression driver. Any thoughts?

Hi, I am using the FA503 for a smallish PA system with a B&C DE250 8ohm compression driver + QSC (clone) waveguide. The sound is really fantastic, but a lot of that credit has to go to the CD and waveguide! Even so, the tweeter amp is definitely up to the job even at modest PA levels.

Interestingly, the datasheet for the OEM tweeter amp in the FA503 shows a max wattage of 100W for 2, 4 and 8 ohm impedances (at similar THD). This is not something I've seen before... anyone have any comments?

https://www.hypex.nl/documenten/download/905

Last edited:
Hi, I am using the FA503 for a smallish PA system with a B&C DE250 8ohm compression driver + QSC (clone) waveguide. The sound is really fantastic, but a lot of that credit has to go to the CD and waveguide! Even so, the tweeter amp is definitely up to the job even at modest PA levels.

Interestingly, the datasheet for the OEM tweeter amp in the FA503 shows a max wattage of 100W for 2, 4 and 8 ohm impedances (at similar THD). This is not something I've seen before... anyone have any comments?

https://www.hypex.nl/documenten/download/905

This is an arbitrary value becouse NC100HF output voltage basically follows main amplifier's output voltage giving the fact both are powered with the same PSU. NC100HF is intended to use above 500 Hz where is little chance output voltage will even reach full scale with typical music signal. If it reached however, it would be quickly burned operating with nominally 500W main amp producing 45 Vrms into 2 Ohms load. That is why amplifier power figures should be irrelevant to DIY users and output voltage and real (not nominal) impedance of load should be used instead. 100W peak power is probably thermally limited figure, being more precise.

Last edited:
Has anyone used the 3 way modules? Is the high frequency amp good, any issues? I am keen to see if it can drive a horn loaded compression driver. Any thoughts?

I've been using all of the different 3 way modules with the HF amp driving 100dB/W/M horns from 150Hz on up and they work fine. They don't need to provide full output in any of these applications.