The New Hypex Fusion Plate amps

Hypex just stated that their DSP wont support FIR filters..
This could be a deal-breaker for quite a few people.
I don't get why you wouldn't support FIR filtering an a 2018 product...

Why do you ever need linear-phase correction engine for correcting acoustical devices being minimum-phase by nature? This is the biggest problem of the people that they often don't understand basic principles of electro-acoustical conversion. Phase and response shape are bonded together. When you fix the repsonse shape with IIR engine you fix its phase response at the same time.

The bad reputation of many bad-sounding DSP systems has been evolved becouse the people try to correct with FIR the things which don't need to be corrected with linear-phase. Seems that Hypex DO understand these principles well.

The only exception from this are crossover networks that *can* be corrected with reversed phase shift (inverted all-pass). This special correction will linearize absolute phase of crossed-over system as a whole which will behave in frequency and time domains like single sound source. Still not geometrically due to multiple radiating transducers, though.

Does anyone know if the MiniDSP UMIK mic will work with this, or does it need one of the phantom power supply ones like the Behringer like the DLCP?

Despite my broad knowledge in DSP area I still quite don't understand how to measure the response using for example their DLCP and HFD software. Noone can explain me what connect to what. Their manual should be updated with this information once and for all to avoid confusions like this.

Last edited:
Hypex just stated that their DSP wont support FIR filters..
This could be a deal-breaker for quite a few people.
I don't get why you wouldn't support FIR filtering an a 2018 product...

I thinks you have read what I write on Hypex FaceBook page, in fact they can technically do FIR with ADAU, not with a lot of taps but the DSPiy V2 project can do it with his own software.

One ADAU 1466 it's 24000 Taps at 48Khz, there is a project of 4 channels DSP DAC with ADAU 1466 and AKM4493 (OPA1612 or LME49880 may be) on french forum, with a design that allow to stack cards with master clocks, when he will be done I will use it for a 16ch dac.

It's enough for cross in medium and high frequencies part, for the very low like subwoofer it's anyway not necessary to be in FIR.

Anyway Fusion amp is good and I will use it, but not in my personal system ^^

Does anyone know if the MiniDSP UMIK mic will work with this, or does it need one of the phantom power supply ones like the Behringer like the DLCP?

It will not work! If you need to make measurements in the time domain ( you need that with loudspeakers), the clock of the ADC and DAC must be the same. This is not possible with seperate usb audio devices.

What's so special? We had this for years:
Ground Sound
It is a little bigger, uses a little more power, but works awesome and has a very versatile DSP and alot of output power - even at very low impedance. We tried the "Progression Mono Amplifier" from Dan Dagostino and it may be the only one, that played a little better. Besides that, I newer heard an amplifier do something really special compared to the amplifiers from groundsound. We tried expensive ribbon tweeters, beryllium domes, flex-units and all sorts of horn and compression drivers - still no problem or reason to change my mind. Also played with extremely well build cabinets with some of the best from Accuton, Scan.speak and Flex-units.
I have this - just different cabinet:
Ground Sound
It plays great on both a set of Magico Q7 and B&W 800.

I bought this, around 10 years ago:
Ground Sound
Still works great and I see no product available that supasses it's performance, noise floor, flexibility or adjustment. And I tried most from Behringer, Holm, Deqx and minidsp.
Minidsp can come close - but I newer heard them without a certain amount of hiss and hum from the speakers - unless you have some sort of input gain - but then you loose overall spl very quickly.
I hope the best for Hypex. They look like nice products in a small package. But I see no reason for me to change my equipment any time soon.

What's so special? We had this for years:
Ground Sound
It is a little bigger, uses a little more power, but works awesome and has a very versatile DSP and alot of output power - even at very low impedance. We tried the "Progression Mono Amplifier" from Dan Dagostino and it may be the only one, that played a little better. Besides that, I newer heard an amplifier do something really special compared to the amplifiers from groundsound. We tried expensive ribbon tweeters, beryllium domes, flex-units and all sorts of horn and compression drivers - still no problem or reason to change my mind. Also played with extremely well build cabinets with some of the best from Accuton, Scan.speak and Flex-units.
I have this - just different cabinet:
Ground Sound
It plays great on both a set of Magico Q7 and B&W 800.

I bought this, around 10 years ago:
Ground Sound
Still works great and I see no product available that supasses it's performance, noise floor, flexibility or adjustment. And I tried most from Behringer, Holm, Deqx and minidsp.
Minidsp can come close - but I newer heard them without a certain amount of hiss and hum from the speakers - unless you have some sort of input gain - but then you loose overall spl very quickly.
I hope the best for Hypex. They look like nice products in a small package. But I see no reason for me to change my equipment any time soon.

If they (hypex) deliver, the fusion range will bring all the performance most people will need at a very reasonable price point. 3 channels of ncore amps used to come with a pretty hefty price tag, on top of that add the complexity of the dsp. With the advent of high quality reasonably priced dsp plate amps, we IMHO start to need good digital preamps possible with some room correction like the lyngdord dpa-1

First batch is ready in 4 weeks, very soon on sale in the upcoming new Hypex webshop.

Stay tuned!

Good news ;)

BTW: I have seen new interesting speaker on Hypex webshop page. Anyone know more about it?

Attachments

• speakers.jpg
    speakers.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 661
If they (hypex) deliver, the fusion range will bring all the performance most people will need at a very reasonable price point. 3 channels of ncore amps used to come with a pretty hefty price tag, on top of that add the complexity of the dsp. With the advent of high quality reasonably priced dsp plate amps, we IMHO start to need good digital preamps possible with some room correction like the lyngdord dpa-1
Well... You could be right. Minidsp also states that they do not aim to be high-end, but mearly tries to reach the masses :D
Lyngdorf is also great products, but I miss the full control and want to take responsebility of building my own system. That's why I need groundsound, since no other product delivers the sound quality and freedom to control everything in the same way. Most DSP systems are some kind of simplistic interface with either to confusing or minimized control. But I know that most people want a magic button and fall a little a sleep, when they start reading the stuff that is required to understand what a DSP can and cant do - kind of fair - cause it is hard theory and takes time to grasp :eek:
But I do like the idear of a plateamp - so I hope they will build something great :)