The New Hypex Fusion Plate amps

Update... I got them working :cool:

This was such a nuisance because these worked at my house, but they quit working like they're supposed to when I brought them to my sister's house. And this was such a PIA because I had to drive 20 minutes every time I wanted to try to fix these issues.

It occurred to me that they quit powering down and back on automatically when I switched "Master" amps. Then I thought... "maybe if I just switch the amps back the way they were, and use the amp that has the issue being a "Slave" as the "Master", maybe that will fix this". And it did :D Now they power down after 10 minutes w/out a signal, and power up when they get a signal. I can also switch the preset from the "Master amp" and it switches both amps.

I think there is something either wrong with the one amp, or something with the way the amp recognizes the software, because that amp will NOT accept being a slave amp. Whatever, don't care at this point... just glad I found a way to make them work :c_flag:

@Matt.

Just discovered that volume on start is reset to -96 if you toggle from master -slave- master. Will do some testing tonight.

Mine would reset back to -96 every time the amp would power down, then get powered back on (I didn't have to switch from master to slave for this to happen). Even with the amp hooked to my PC, when I shut the power rocker switch off, then switched the rocker back on, the amp would reset to -96. It would do this whether I "Locked" the volume or not. But it does not do this when the amp is the Master, this one amp only does this when it's the slave. And the other amp does not have a problem being a Slave, the other amp works fine. Even though I managed to find a "work around" with the issue that didn't necessarily fix the issue, but I figured out how to work around the issue... I'm still curious why.

Update... I got them working :cool:

This was such a nuisance because these worked at my house, but they quit working like they're supposed to when I brought them to my sister's house. And this was such a PIA because I had to drive 20 minutes every time I wanted to try to fix these issues.

It occurred to me that they quit powering down and back on automatically when I switched "Master" amps. Then I thought... "maybe if I just switch the amps back the way they were, and use the amp that has the issue being a "Slave" as the "Master", maybe that will fix this". And it did :D Now they power down after 10 minutes w/out a signal, and power up when they get a signal. I can also switch the preset from the "Master amp" and it switches both amps.

I think there is something either wrong with the one amp, or something with the way the amp recognizes the software, because that amp will NOT accept being a slave amp. Whatever, don't care at this point... just glad I found a way to make them work :c_flag:

I think there is an issue with a mix up between master and slave during transport. I mark the plates with some paint tape with master and left and right.

I think there is an issue with a mix up between master and slave during transport. I mark the plates with some paint tape with master and left and right.

I put a piece of tape on the Master before I brought them to my sister's so this wasn't an issue, and I did this because my original plan was to leave them the way I had them setup at my house when I did the design. But I had to switch "Master" amps because my sister needed her source on the left side due to how she has her entertainment center, and I had it on the right side at my house. And either way, I completely reset both of them numerous times to try to fix it and the one amp kept doing this in slave mode. The one amp just will not accept being a slave amp.

I'm not exactly sure how or why that would make the amp do what it's doing anyhow. And after all I've posted here, I'm not sure how you could think I had a "mix up" based on the numerous times I've had my computer plugged into the speaker. Not being snarky, this is a serious question... after all I've posted about these, you seriously don't think I know how to select "Master", or even worse that when I had all these problems I didn't hook my computer to these?? I went to her house 3 different times trying to make these things work, and the only thing that actually worked was finally giving up on using the one amp that was giving me problems as a Master, and using the other amp as a slave. But to do this, I programmed them EXACTLY the same as I did when the other amp wouldn't work.

Last edited:
In the meantime, my Fusion setup starts to sound much better.

One experiment I did yesterday had some interesting results. I currently run my speaker two way, with 15" Neo woofer and Heil AMT crossed over 4rd order at 1 kHz. I started with with a tweeter channel gain of -8 dB and 0 dB for the woofer. Then, I copied this first preset to preset2 and put tweeter gain at 0dB and woofer gain at 8 dB. Finally I made preset 3 where both channels have 4 dB more gain. In the device setup, I put volume offsets so that all 3 presets had the same volume.

This, way I could compare the effects of setting up the gain structure differently. This has quite audible differences. The challenge is then always to hear which is the most accurate. Theoretically I presume preset 3 has the least quantisation issues. But preset2 also sounds good, much better than preset1.

Fedde

p.s. I still plan to try a three way setup, but I need some time to set this up...

Last edited:
No, the Fusion uses 8.24 bit processing. So plus 12 dB channel gain requires 2 bits and then still 6 bits headroom is available for boost filters or pre EQ. I would assume that the optimal configuration is to do max channel gain, about 16 dB and only reduce this gain for channels that require less level. Or better: achieve this reduction with a series resistor and keep max gain. Try it out, I would be interested in your observations on this.

In my case, I think the tone gets warmer and less digital with more channel gain. Sound also gets a bit less open, but this is probably more accurate. Regrettably I do not have measurements equipment at hand to validate this by measurements.

Fedde