The New Hypex Fusion Plate amps

That would be the result of clock instability, not slow drift.

What I meant was as the clocks degrade over time, they will drift apart from the original specs they met when were brand new. So even if perfectly matched when the system was built, 10 years later will this still be the case? In a traditional DAC when you're only using 1 master and it degrades over time. Both channels are still clocked by it. So it doesn't matter so much.

What I meant was as the clocks degrade over time, they will drift apart from the original specs they met when were brand new. So even if perfectly matched when the system was built, 10 years later will this still be the case? In a traditional DAC when you're only using 1 master and it degrades over time. Both channels are still clocked by it. So it doesn't matter so much.

So, again, are we talking of the clocks slowly drifting off each other, or getting unstable? If it is just a slow drifting off, the result is not audible.

So, again, are we talking of the clocks slowly drifting off each other, or getting unstable? If it is just a slow drifting off, the result is not audible.

I'm talking about the clock perimeters that are matched when they are new, drifting over time and not matching at the same level as the originally did when new.

Anyways I don't want to get into an argument about what's audible.

The bottom line is you can get away with run of the mill clocks, and still get good results if the system uses IEEE1588v2 to keep them synced with each other. With a chip like the Dante Broadway, BOM to build the entire DSP board would be similar to what it costs now. Then the end customer doesn't need to buy a USB to AES/EBU bridge, along with all of the cabling. And you don't need the mess of boxes and wires either. Unless of course you're using a CD player with AES output as a source already. But this day and ago I think 90%+ are using a computer as a media player.

The total cost to get a modern system up and running with these plates would be less. And the sound would be superior. Another bonus is you could scale as many channels as you want and still have them in perfect sync. For example to make a multichannel music rig or home theatre. Just add 5 or 7 speakers. Players like Roon can do multichannel. For home theatre you use a player with the built in decoders. Simply plug an Ethernet cable into each speaker from a central switch and you're in business.

I'm talking about the clock perimeters that are matched when they are new, drifting over time and not matching at the same level as the originally did when new.

Anyways I don't want to get into an argument about what's audible.

The problem is that you keep mixing up two very different mechanisms. If the clocks slowly drift apart, it corresponds to the speakers moving (very slowly) apart by a few millimeters. Not audible.

What you described as audible effects in terms of "each speaker is beating with a different heartbeat" would be the result of one or both clocks getting unstable - something completely different.

I agree about the benefits of AES67, but while I can understand you want to change the subject, in this case the "problem" is a non-issue.

If the terminology I used didn't meet your standard I'm sorry. I think most people would understand the point I was making. Including the Grimm engineers. They did things the very best way they could with the tools they had available at the time. However I think if they were to start from scratch today, and had some very high grade, multichannel PCM 24/384/DSD 256 capable Ravenna boards at their disposal, they could make a better system.

Anyways tell me how I can get a 7.1 channel home theatre rig running with only my laptop (or little Intel NUC as HTPC), a 9 port switch, and 9 lengths of Ethernet cable with the current fusion plate format?

If the terminology I used didn't meet your standard I'm sorry.

It wasn't a question of terminology. You were mixing up two completely different mechanisms.

Anyways tell me how I can get a 7.1 channel home theatre rig running with only my laptop, a 9 port switch, and 9 lengths of Ethernet cable with the current fusion plate format?

I have no idea. That has nothing to do with what I was addressing.

It wasn't a question of terminology. You were mixing up two completely different mechanisms.

I have no idea. That has nothing to do with what I was addressing.

Let's forget about the sound and assume both systems sounded identical. If I wanted to make an 7.1 home theatre rig utilizing the current format of these plates, what's the list of gear I would need to purchase?

Yes, let's forget the whole previous discussion and change the topic completely. Good move.

How long is a string? What kind of speakers (2-way? 3-way?), what kind of source?

Well there's going to be several plate options for 2/3/4 way speakers and subs. So let's assume the 2 mains and 2 rear surround and centre channel was 3 way, and the side speakers were 2 way. Then we had 2 subs with a a single channel amp inside of them. You come up with the source. Assume I'm a layman off the street with no knowledge of electronics. But I wanted to use active speakers and I wanted to use these plates. What do I need to buy?

I have been running 4 Tascam DA 88 together in my studio, synchronized bij SMPTE, no clock links. Could not observe any timing problems during recording and playback.

https://www.google.nl/search?q=tasc...HVQNAuUQsAQISA&biw=1283&bih=738&dpr=1.3#spf=1

Is there a problem anyway?

I think it depends on the level of quality you're trying to obtain. With the last gen 2.400D plates, the sound stage was off via the digital inputs, but came back via the analog. But at the expense of higher noise floor, and requiring a DAC.

Anyways unless you actually compared to the same plates with 1 using AOIP and the other using AES/EBU, you can't make any listening comparisons.

What I would like to know is how to get this 7.1 channel home theatre using fusion plates in action with only my Intel NUC, a 9 port switch, and 9 lengths of Ethernet cable? For media player I'll use Jriver.

Last edited:
I would like to know if it would cost more to use the Archwave Unet mini, or the Dante Broadway. The bonus with the Archwave boards is no need for Dante licencing fees, yet are interoperable with both Ravenna and Dante anyways. Where the Dante Broadway likely requires licencing fees.

Products ? ARCHWAVE

When comparing retail pricing of the Archwave Unet mini based Hedd bridge, it's cheaper than the Dante based bridge. I wonder if the extra cost is all licensing? The Archwave also has USB input as well. If that really matters.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...ante_card_b1_dante_2_channel_hedd_bridge.html

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1284236-REG/hedd_b2_aes67_2_channel_hedd_bridge.html

Last edited:
I would like to know if it would cost more to use the Archwave Unet mini, or the Dante Broadway. The bonus with the Archwave boards is no need for Dante licencing fees, yet are interoperable with both Ravenna and Dante anyways. Where the Dante Broadway likely requires licencing fees.

Products ? ARCHWAVE

When comparing retail pricing of the Archwave Unet mini based Hedd bridge, it's cheaper than the Dante based bridge. I wonder if the extra cost is all licensing? The Archwave also has USB input as well. If that really matters.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...ante_card_b1_dante_2_channel_hedd_bridge.html

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1284236-REG/hedd_b2_aes67_2_channel_hedd_bridge.html

Not quite sure what all of this has to do with the topic of this thread...

Not quite sure what all of this has to do with the topic of this thread...

I'm just discretely putting this out there with hopes Hypex will see logic in it and add the option to the plates. If they do, hooray for all, if they don't, it won't be long before they are the only ones who don't.

I used the same technique with the Nord input buffer. Colin built it, and seems like it was a success. Hypex is probably aware if it was a success or failure based on the quantity of NC-500 modules Colin has purchased.

If someone wanted to setup a home theater like in my example scenario, this would mean 8 plates sold to 1 client! With the popularity of home theater today, it would be a runaway success. Also folks aren't as concerned with being limited to PCM as much with home theater.