The New Hypex Fusion Plate amps

Why would this be confusing? If I take a DLCP ( or minidsp) and a 500 watt amp for low, 250 watt mid and 100 watt high ( and they need the same input level for max power) there will be gain difference between the channels.

Shouldnt software reflect that? How can I as a user know this -6db difference?

I expect if I import same impulse in both Mid and HF channel it will play corresponding to the drawing. But it does not.

Today installed the FA122 for the subwoofer.
Very fast installation.
I had to put the main sensitivity to +6 (because I have a passive preamplifier and a separate extra att for the bass; in the line I have an extra attenuator of max 12 dB, normally set to -6 dB)
I checked the sound level (with a 50 Hz tone) and changed a bit the level. I tweaked the filters a little bit, made the low pass 100 Hz instead of 85) uploaded.
My third preset is a Bessel - sounds smoother but I start with a Linkwitz 48 for a starter.
On the back you see two plugs - I dedicate the second channel for being able to test my main speakers; design a filter for that electronically; then I will look at next steps).​
I feed with RCA and auto detect.

The sub has a minimal intrusion in the music (in fact makes the lows more mellow) ; on radio you can hear the presenters have more body now. Up till now: happy
IMG_0729.jpg
IMG_0730.jpg IMG_0733.jpg

(You can see I put some foam between the interconnect and the power supply inductors as a spacer)

Last edited:
What I like is the limiter/protection: when I disconnected the input cable I had (unshielded; to be replaced by a shielded one) I normally get a big thunk-ka-boom, now just a very soft click. The protection sets in for a moment.
Very well thought out design (up to professional standards and apt for dummies ;)).

What I like is the limiter/protection: when I disconnected the input cable I had (unshielded; to be replaced by a shielded one) I normally get a big thunk-ka-boom, now just a very soft click. The protection sets in for a moment.
Very well thought out design (up to professional standards and apt for dummies ;)).

I killed one woofer simply by switching off the rocket switch. So, no protection for such!

Or the soft clip or relay didn't work on this unit?

As I like to change my speakers every so often, I was considering building the Fusion amps into a amp sized chassis, probably Valchromat as we use it for our speakers. Most of you on this forum I assume have the plate amps, but if not, would a real simple enclosure be of interest? For me it means I can carry on developing speakers and not have to always integrate the plate amps. Plus my hi-fi rack looks empty with nothing in it!

CNC'd box, nice terminals for speakers, flat filter pre loaded for instant set up, LED light for signal/control. Could always put a stainless steel faceplate if required.

I know what you mean, but for me it doesn't make sens specifically for the Fusion amps. If you made it for MiniDSP or something like that then okay. But such a nice plate Amp i would definitely want to mount it in my speakers! But I would also like to get rid of my amplifier and like the idea of my speakers being a unit by them self with no need for extras such as amp and so on. And is it such a big deal to have to integrate it every time? - Well it gives some design constraints, that's true...

@ Hypex, are you able to update the DXF in the zipped downloads. It is showing the face plate size at 12mm x 31.5mm.

If I scale it up to 315mm x 120mm this is the same as previous, and my plate amp definitely doesn't fit in that size aperture.

Does anyone have measurements? My amp is at home and trying to get some CAD work modelled.

Last edited:
As I like to change my speakers every so often, I was considering building the Fusion amps into a amp sized chassis, probably Valchromat as we use it for our speakers. Most of you on this forum I assume have the plate amps, but if not, would a real simple enclosure be of interest? For me it means I can carry on developing speakers and not have to always integrate the plate amps. Plus my hi-fi rack looks empty with nothing in it!

CNC'd box, nice terminals for speakers, flat filter pre loaded for instant set up, LED light for signal/control. Could always put a stainless steel faceplate if required.
I think that would be useful option, reminds me of the backboxes minidsp sell for their plate amps

I think an enclosure makes sense - but I had been thinking in terms of stands.
admittedly, the 3-way amps are rather tall for a likely speaker, particularly if there is space above the amp for speaker connections.

But it seems worth considering.

...So just measured my FA122 with my tape measure at home and it seems to be accurate to the dims and drawings 315mm x 120mm. Maybe our CNC shop was off with their cutting or human error in drawing. ��

I had a nice original idea of making a speaker stand that would house the amps, as a sort of power amplifier stand, to launch as a range encompassing some Satori subs, and MA full range on top.

One part of me really likes the idea of the plate amps hidden behind speakers, and no source components shown. Another likes the flexibility of changing parts out and having a more 'normal' set up with source and separates.

While I'm working it out I'll make some fusion boxes.