Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

The New Hypex Fusion Plate amps
The New Hypex Fusion Plate amps
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd March 2020, 08:53 PM   #2141
lbstyling is online now lbstyling  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

The Fusion Manual references a internal fuse but says its not user replaceable. Does anyone know where it is on the amplifier? I seam to be missing sound from a channel on a new unit.

PS: thanks YSDR, I realised you can select 'filters' and un-tick as many as you like before you run a sweep.
Old 26th March 2020, 05:00 PM   #2142
morbo is offline morbo  Canada
diyAudio Member

Boy I gotta say, I love these hypex amps when they are working. But I've had really bad luck with them reliability wise. First, one of the two I bought was DOA, and needed to go back to hypex for repair. Got it back, and have been enjoying them for a few months. Last night listening to music as usual, and got a loud buzz/crackle out of channel, then nothing. Now the amp goes into protection immediately after self test, and whatever the 'incident' was, has killed a very nice woofer. So now at the very least, I'm out another $100 for woofer replacement, and months without the amp.

At this rate I will have been unable to use my fancy new active speakers for more time than I have been able to use them, since deciding to go the Hypex route. Feels discouraging, and not exactly confidence inspiring to hook even more expensive drivers to them, like I had hoped to eventually.
Old 27th March 2020, 07:14 PM   #2143
Sabbelbacke is offline Sabbelbacke  Germany
diyAudio Member

I am sorry to hear your speakers were destroyed
Old 28th March 2020, 04:31 PM   #2144
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markymiles View Post
I will shortly be borrowing one of these for a play with a view to buying for my 3 way centre.

Just wondered what the easiest or best way of using HFD is. I've been having a play with the software and it seems ok. Are people doing most things in REW, re measuring, verifying what the filters are doing exactly, and so on. Or are the measuring functions inside HFD any good for the basics. Haven't got one yet obviously so can't comment. Just trying to get a plan of action ready for when I get it in the next week or two.

Also I've yet to see any used ones come up for sale which is a good sign but money is tight so used would be good so I can do my LCR. Anyone seen any used ones sold in Europe/ on here on the classifieds yet?
For my part, I was measuring in REW, and bringing the measurements into either XSIM or Vituixcad to calculate my acoustic offsets (I have a UMIK). Then I was designing the crossover and PEQ blocks there until I got a good starting point. Once I had that, I replicated those blocks in HFD. Then it was a matter of many iterations of 'upload to dsp' -> 'measure in REW' -> tweak filters/peq -> 'upload to dsp', repeat. Whether I will be doing this in the future remains to be seen.

If you had really robust off-axis measurements, like vituixcad can work with, then it would probably be better to spend more time designing there before settling on the 'good starting point'. The repeating of all the off axis measurements would make for a much longer tweaking process so getting closer in the simulator would make more sense.
Old 28th March 2020, 04:49 PM   #2145
yoke is offline yoke  Croatia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by morbo View Post
At this rate I will have been unable to use my fancy new active speakers for more time than I have been able to use them, since deciding to go the Hypex route. Feels discouraging, and not exactly confidence inspiring to hook even more expensive drivers to them, like I had hoped to eventually.
now you got me worried as I have SBacoustics beryllium connected directly to NC100HF without any capacitor or so...
I was thinking that those amplifiers have some kind of protection at output so thay are not able to destroy drivers
Old 28th March 2020, 07:27 PM   #2146
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabbelbacke View Post
I am sorry to hear your speakers were destroyed
I appreciate your sympathies!
Old 28th March 2020, 08:55 PM   #2147
Fenalaar is offline Fenalaar  Norway
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoke View Post
now you got me worried as I have SBacoustics beryllium connected directly to NC100HF without any capacitor or so...
I was thinking that those amplifiers have some kind of protection at output so thay are not able to destroy drivers
Fragile and expensive tweeters directly connected to the amp is a bit of a hazard. It only takes a bit of cross-eyed filtering to burn a good bit of money.

Iíve done this, but with some Scanspeak 2604 tweeters I paid $35 a piece for.

The expensive Beyma and ESS AMTs get a cap, even though they are tougher than a regular ole dome tweeter.

Johan-Kr
Old 29th March 2020, 05:34 AM   #2148
yoke is offline yoke  Croatia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenalaar View Post
Fragile and expensive tweeters directly connected to the amp is a bit of a hazard. It only takes a bit of cross-eyed filtering to burn a good bit of money.

Iíve done this, but with some Scanspeak 2604 tweeters I paid $35 a piece for.

The expensive Beyma and ESS AMTs get a cap, even though they are tougher than a regular ole dome tweeter.

Johan-Kr
Jea, I know...but I'm not afraid of eror on crossover side, only that amplifier mide do the demage.

Twetter is crossed at 2.4kHz LR 2order, any hint what capacitor value to use that will not mess into crossover slope ?
Old 29th March 2020, 05:50 AM   #2149
Fenalaar is offline Fenalaar  Norway
diyAudio Member

I use this guide to calculate the cap values http://alteclansingunofficial.nlenet...ers/TL_205.pdf

Johan-Kr
Old 29th March 2020, 07:35 AM   #2150
markymiles is offline markymiles  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by morbo View Post
For my part, I was measuring in REW, and bringing the measurements into either XSIM or Vituixcad to calculate my acoustic offsets (I have a UMIK). Then I was designing the crossover and PEQ blocks there until I got a good starting point. Once I had that, I replicated those blocks in HFD. Then it was a matter of many iterations of 'upload to dsp' -> 'measure in REW' -> tweak filters/peq -> 'upload to dsp', repeat. Whether I will be doing this in the future remains to be seen.

If you had really robust off-axis measurements, like vituixcad can work with, then it would probably be better to spend more time designing there before settling on the 'good starting point'. The repeating of all the off axis measurements would make for a much longer tweaking process so getting closer in the simulator would make more sense.
Thanks, as luck would have it the very helpful person who assisted me with the passive crossvers used vituixcad so I have all the measurements handy from that, including off axis and acoustic offsets . So I can start designing the active elements in there then for a good start point. Then REW from there, I also have a UMIK......

The New Hypex Fusion Plate ampsHide this!Advertise here!