Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

The New Hypex Fusion Plate amps
The New Hypex Fusion Plate amps
The New Hypex Fusion Plate amps Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th December 2019, 04:39 PM   #1911
diyChris is offline diyChris
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Another question about bridging: Iwould like to use two FAxx3 plates to drive two two-way speakers plus one single-coil mono sub-woofer.

The idea is to bridge two amp modules from the two different FAxx3 plates in order to drive the single-coil sub.

Is this possible? Are there any issues in doing this ?
Should I better go with three FAxx2ís instead ?

Thanks.
Old 10th December 2019, 09:28 PM   #1912
Mortenke is offline Mortenke
diyAudio Member

Default Grounding Hypex Fusion plage amps

Hello, can anyone tell me if grounding is important. I Play with just 2-phase cable and plug without any hum or hiss. But the treble is a bit harsh, and I consider Pangea 14 mk ii power cords. Will grounding have an effect on this also?

Will better digital coax cable?

(Playing only digital in directly from Oppo 105d. Very good scanspeak drivers and very, very satisfactory sound overall).

Thanks for your replies - concrete experience much appreciated.

Best, Morten
Old 11th December 2019, 01:59 PM   #1913
danibosn is offline danibosn  Croatia
diyAudio Member

Probably is written somewhere, but this way is faster.
Analog in can be daisy chained only per side, left to left and right to right as I understand. Am I right?
And chaining is through coaxial?

Thank's
Old 11th December 2019, 02:13 PM   #1914
Julf is offline Julf  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortenke View Post
Hello, can anyone tell me if grounding is important. I Play with just 2-phase cable and plug without any hum or hiss.

I suggest reading both the Hypex white papers and the amp data sheet.

Quote:
But the treble is a bit harsh, and I consider Pangea 14 mk ii power cords. Will grounding have an effect on this also?
No. Neither will power cords.

Quote:
Will better digital coax cable?
No.
Old 12th December 2019, 05:40 PM   #1915
danibosn is offline danibosn  Croatia
diyAudio Member

OK you are right. I've found myself very easy.
Any experience with analog chaining and possible compare with digital?
Old 17th December 2019, 08:19 PM   #1916
fedde is offline fedde  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

In the meantime I made progress with the sound of my Fusion setup. I think it sounds better than my passive setup with NC400 now.

I did the following:
- Removing the gain resistor for all amps.
- Soldering the gain jumper for +9 dB XLR.
- Connecting my Soekris DAC via XLR.
- Adding a 2.2 ohm resistor to AMT to bring it more in line with the 15" woofer.
- Putting the woofer at +15.9 dB gain, tweeter at +14.9 dB.
- Some EQ improvements.

Sound is getting addictive again. For now I prefer analog in, digital in sounds worse here currently. Not sure what the root cause is yet. Could be my digital source (jitter). I hope it is not the SRC or oversampling filtering.

Fedde
Old 18th December 2019, 07:07 AM   #1917
YSDR is offline YSDR  Hungary
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedde View Post
In the meantime I made progress with the sound of my Fusion setup. I think it sounds better than my passive setup with NC400 now.

I did the following:
- Removing the gain resistor for all amps.
- Soldering the gain jumper for +9 dB XLR.
- Connecting my Soekris DAC via XLR.
- Adding a 2.2 ohm resistor to AMT to bring it more in line with the 15" woofer.
- Putting the woofer at +15.9 dB gain, tweeter at +14.9 dB.
- Some EQ improvements.

Sound is getting addictive again. For now I prefer analog in, digital in sounds worse here currently. Not sure what the root cause is yet. Could be my digital source (jitter). I hope it is not the SRC or oversampling filtering.

Fedde
As predicted, it looks like you like the coloration of the Soekris DAC, and as soon as it was properly integrated with Fusionamps, the old magic returned. In fact, it is even better for you than the old lineup, because active crossing has much less passive elements in the circuit now (just one resistor based on your writing).

That would explain why you don't like digital input so much (because it has no Soekris DAC coloration).

Great findings and thanks for sharing!
Old 18th December 2019, 12:14 PM   #1918
chriselm is offline chriselm
diyAudio Member

Whats your digital source?
Old 18th December 2019, 06:09 PM   #1919
diyAudio Member

An RME AIO sound card. I enabled pro mode as this sounds better (higher output voltage). But on an other DAC I found the difference quite big between SPDIF and USB.
Old 18th December 2019, 06:56 PM   #1920
diyAudio Member

I suspect the jitter of this RME source is relatively high. I would like to try a low jitter USB to SPDIF convertor later in time. E.g. an F1 module or JL sounds PCB set. Though I am also somewhat skeptical on the 44.1 kHz to 93.75 kHz conversion process in Fusion. Does this not affect the openness, clarity and high frequency quality? Using analog in ommits this step.

Other potential root causes of the difference in sound are:
- The oversampling filters in FPGA of Soekris DAC perform a better job to form an analog signal. Which is then going through a reasonblt transparant ADC DAC conversion at same clock frequency.
- The Soekris DAC (combined with ADC) reduces the dynamics a bit, making it easier in the ears.

Anyhow, no conclusion yet. To be continued later in time...

Fedde

The New Hypex Fusion Plate ampsHide this!Advertise here!