Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

The New Hypex Fusion Plate amps
The New Hypex Fusion Plate amps
The New Hypex Fusion Plate amps Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th November 2019, 08:39 PM   #1891
ds23man is offline ds23man  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Don't forget the flared trousers....
Old 17th November 2019, 05:42 AM   #1892
yoke is offline yoke  Croatia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds23man View Post
... and 10" seas woof with digital motional feedback ( like the Grimm sub) ...
Will this be available to all FA users ?
If so, do you have any info when ?
Thanks
Old 17th November 2019, 02:49 PM   #1893
troystg is offline troystg  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoke View Post
Will this be available to all FA users ?
If so, do you have any info when ?
Thanks
He said yes earlier in the thread but has not elaborated on when or how much yet.
Old 18th November 2019, 10:47 PM   #1894
fedde is online now fedde  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julf View Post
Yes, it was indeed pretty bad.
I already suspected that you miss the funk gene...

Fedde
Old 18th November 2019, 11:25 PM   #1895
HammerSandwich is offline HammerSandwich
diyAudio Member

Oh, great! Audiophiles already argue about analog versus digital, tubes versus transistors, low versus high feedback, and cheap versus expensive cables. Now we're supposed to deal with the big funk debate too, fedde?
Old 18th November 2019, 11:46 PM   #1896
JustIntonation is offline JustIntonation  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedde View Post
Not sure about beating the hundreds of thousands of euro systems, but indeed the Fusion is a great & very cost effective solution. I may have been a bit critical here and there (and still believe there are aspects of the Fusion that can be improved, though probably at a higher cost), but in the end I am very happy to have acquired the amps.

For a long time I was thinking about active speakers, but buying 6 channels of NC400 with 6 DACs and multi-channel solutions is very expensive. Being able to buy this all under the cost of a pair of NC400 monoblocs is pretty spectacular...

Back to music listening now... :-D

Fedde

p.s. And I agree that the speakers and especially room acoustics are the most dominant factor in the end...

p.s.2. As a side note, I heard the 110.000 euro actively driven Steinway Lyngdorf model B open baffle sound system at the X-fi show in The Netherlands this year. This was amazing... never heard such an accurate piano reproduction from any speaker. Trying to make my own lost cost active baffle speaker solution that hopefully can approach it a little bit..
Cool
Ah yes well that open baffle system may be a good thing in a room. Similar to the Linkwitz LX521.4
I believe it reduces the room reflections due to a figure8 pattern with the rear being out of phase (which has some cancellation effect on the reverb?).
I'm not experienced with such speakers myself but it could well be they perform the best in regular (big) reverberant rooms. The full off-axis radiation pattern of regular closed boxes is for sure not ideal (not sure if a rear tweeter will help here though).
But in any case, this is probably again about the room / how different speakers behave in a room (and how that Steinway/Lyndorf probably reduces the effect of the room through both open baffle radiation cancellation and room correction software).
Though in other ways that 110.000 euro system doesn't look like "the best" or value for money. And I'm absolutely certain that it would be completely outclassed by a well designed closed 3-way system with Fusion amps of a few thousand total cost in an anechoic room (though there is a little psychoacoustics trick to make it work best in anechoic conditions, developing a comercial product for this though won't elaborate on this now).

Last edited by JustIntonation; 18th November 2019 at 11:53 PM.
Old 19th November 2019, 10:57 PM   #1897
fedde is online now fedde  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Yes, due to the eight pattern, side reflections are (largely) gone. And the rear reflections are reaching the listener later in time anyhow. More importantly, in a dipole system, the rear reflections have a similar sound balance as the front sound. This is more close to the reflections of a real instrument in your room.

For a bit of cloning inspiration, a link to a video of Mr Lyngdorf himself about the model B. He uses six 12 kg woofers per speaker, LOL...
YouTube
Would like to get hold of such a 5" 95 db/W mid driver for my Fusion project...

Fedde
Old 20th November 2019, 10:56 AM   #1898
Steve2111 is offline Steve2111
diyAudio Member

Don't know whether this is the right Forum, but would appreciate some help with applying the correct Q values to my HFD filters. At the moment I'm just guessing the values so loads of trial and error involved.
Old 20th November 2019, 03:23 PM   #1899
YSDR is offline YSDR  Hungary
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve2111 View Post
Don't know whether this is the right Forum, but would appreciate some help with applying the correct Q values to my HFD filters. At the moment I'm just guessing the values so loads of trial and error involved.
Hi here, Steve!

Yes it's mainly a trial and error. If the Q doesn't fit, just change the value until it fits. Q is the bandwidth of the filter simply saying.
But maybe someone know a better solution here.
Old 20th November 2019, 03:38 PM   #1900
TNT is offline TNT  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Try this for a graphical view of different PEQ incl. changing Q with a slider and see impact directly:

Biquad calculator v2 | EarLevel Engineering

//

Last edited by TNT; 20th November 2019 at 03:41 PM.

The New Hypex Fusion Plate ampsHide this!Advertise here!