Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

The New Hypex Fusion Plate amps
The New Hypex Fusion Plate amps
The New Hypex Fusion Plate amps Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th October 2019, 05:25 AM   #1661
Davey is offline Davey  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Yes I was not clear. Lower qts = more eq. Perhaps I'm mistaken but I thought you'd need some reasonable watts to driver the L26RO4Y woofer to reasonable SPL and Xmax given it is around 86dB?
You would need a significant amount of power IF you were trying to maintain Xmax as you went up in frequency. In these dipole applications though, you're not.
Drive voltage drops at a significant rate with increasing frequency owing to the dipole correction, low-shelving Q equalization and low-pass filter associated with the woofer/mid crossover.
Generally, power amplifiers with nominal ratings in the 50 watt range will be just fine.

FYI, the L26RO4Y driver requires a shelving Q-correction of about +10db centered at 35Hz to achieve an effective Qts = 0.5.

Dave.

Last edited by Davey; 16th October 2019 at 05:31 AM.
Old 16th October 2019, 05:45 AM   #1662
mlee is offline mlee  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey View Post
Drive voltage drops at a significant rate with increasing frequency owing to the dipole correction
Perhaps it might be better to take this discussion in another thread or PM as to not wanting to clutter this thread with off topic. Please feel free to drop me a private message to sort this out as my understanding of amplifier power is different.

It is my understanding due to dipole cancellation you'll need EQ to bring the low frequencies (for example 35hz) up to the same SPL as the midrange and tweeter. I have a small baffle and require at least 16dB eq to bring the lower frequencies up. 16dB eats a lot into the 100watt budget.
Old 16th October 2019, 06:17 AM   #1663
Davey is offline Davey  United States
diyAudio Member

For open-baffle setups it requires X amount of power to push Driver-X to Xmax, at a particular frequency.....whether you're using EQ or not.
In other words, the power requirement is completely independent of any EQ (dipole, Q-correction, whatever) requirement.

Don't think of it in terms of matching sensitivity to a midrange or tweeter. That's irrelevant.

Does that make sense??

Feel free to PM if you like.

Dave.

Last edited by Davey; 16th October 2019 at 06:31 AM.
Old 16th October 2019, 08:54 PM   #1664
mlee is offline mlee  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hi All,
After a bit of back and forth with Dave, I did a little experiment to verify his words. I ended up using at best 50 Watts according to the oscilloscope and that was loud. I don't think I could push it more so..........

For OB I'm only using at best 50 Watts into a relatively generous xmax woofer. Sealed is not OB so I apologise in saying larger wattage is ok for me as it seems I not really using the wattage for the OB application. If I was then hearing damage would probably occur.

Thanks for your patience Dave.
Old 17th October 2019, 09:12 AM   #1665
stoomeister is offline stoomeister  United Arab Emirates
diyAudio Member

Don't forget the amplifier limitations are Max voltage and Max current besides power (wattage) as such. As woofer's impedance around resonance is usually few times above nominal 4-8Ohm, it may take same voltage to reach <50W as it does to reach 200+W into nominal load..
Old 17th October 2019, 09:52 AM   #1666
fedde is offline fedde  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoomeister View Post
Don't forget the amplifier limitations are Max voltage and Max current besides power (wattage) as such. As woofer's impedance around resonance is usually few times above nominal 4-8Ohm, it may take same voltage to reach <50W as it does to reach 200+W into nominal load..
Good point. The 123 could run out of steam quickly in these conditions. If I buy the Fusion I will go for the 253... (leaves also some more options with other drivers I may use in the future)... thanks for all the responses...

By the way, is anyone using the remote control solution of Hypex for Fusion? Does it work ok? Is the volume persistent after repower, or can you only have a pre-configured default volume at power on? Do you get good audio quality (e.g. clarity) still at low volume, while using digital in?

Fedde
Old 17th October 2019, 10:35 AM   #1667
Shutdown98 is offline Shutdown98  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

I have the remote.
Works perfect to me. I have set the standard volume at power up. Works fine for me. Because i have children it is also a safety measure.... If one by accident got hold of the remote.

Good clarity and quality at low volume.
I have also the 253.
Old 18th October 2019, 02:08 PM   #1668
fedde is offline fedde  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

If you do not mind, I have a few more questions regarding the USB connection:
1. When you upload new filters do you need both Fusions connected via USB? Or is the slave always synchronized via the S/P-DIF link?
2. Is the uploading of filters fast?
3. Can you keep USB connected to the PC or does it affect the sound quality?

Fedde
Old 18th October 2019, 02:31 PM   #1669
ds23man is offline ds23man  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedde View Post
If you do not mind, I have a few more questions regarding the USB connection:
1. When you upload new filters do you need both Fusions connected via USB? Or is the slave always synchronized via the S/P-DIF link?

You have to upload each plate on by one via USB
2. Is the uploading of filters fast?

Yes
3. Can you keep USB connected to the PC or does it affect the sound quality?

It doesn't

Fedde
Old 18th October 2019, 03:08 PM   #1670
Shutdown98 is offline Shutdown98  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

I have 2 long usb cables i can switch easily.
You cannot plug in both amps at the same time in the laptop/pc. If you do they mix settings left-right etc.

The New Hypex Fusion Plate ampsHide this!Advertise here!